Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

broken heel{any hope}
Quote | Reply
Have a friend that broke his heel pretty bad{I guess} had surgery with 5 screws. Doc says most likely not run again. Friend has done multi. 100milers and is looking to see if anybody has come back from simular accident.
Quote Reply
Re: broken heel{any hope} [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for your friend.

Ugh. My least favorite surgery to do. I'll assume he fell from a height?

Calcaneal fractures are awful. No matter how well they are put back together, you almost always develop subtalar joint arthritis. In fact, some of the newer literature recommended just letting the fractures heal or primary arthrodesis (fusion) of the subtalar joint at the time of injury.

Will be a long recovery, but once healed from surgery, he MAY run again, but not likely the same as before the accident, especially trail running where you need that frontal plane motion/rotation.

Re: broken heel{any hope} [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did your friend heal? Was he able to continue running? I'm 3 months post break and still can't put any weight on that foot. Long recovery I've been told.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: broken heel{any hope} [biggitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
65 yrs old and not where he was, has done up to 10mi run walk.
Quote Reply
Re: broken heel{any hope} [biggitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My uncle fell from a scaffolding and smashed his heal. He was never an athlete, but he hung drywall for a living and was in decent shape. Unfortunately, he never got back to walking without a limp. Bad injury.
Quote Reply