Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's plan:
- Skate 3x - DONE
- Chief referee on Sat - all day on the ice super tiring but it's my club's meet and while I want to race, I'm gonna do this more important task.... will need hot pockets in my skates tho!!! :-) - DONE and this was far far more tiring than I expected - 12 hrs of being the CEO of the meet and 9 of those on the ice. Way more tiring than racing. And holy crap my feet were super sore. Major props to people who give up their time and energy for things like this on a regular basis....
- Run 3x - DONE although the last one (post meet) was pretty weaksauce...
- Drills/core/skipping 2x - FAIL only once. Gotta make it routine...
- Ride 1 or 2x - totally weather dependent - it's been snowing here (yeah - it never snows here!) and I'm not interested in going down on the road again...- DONE only once due to weather (major fog).

This week:
- skate 5x (with skipping as off-ice warm-up)
- run 3x
- ride 1-2x
- drills/core 2x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week...
Swim: M-Th at the very least. DONE I will be in Seattle Fri/Sat for the Joint Mathematics Meetings (this is the biggest maths conference in the world!)
Bike: 3x only did once, and it was on the recumbent bike at the hotel
Run: take at least one day off done, 5 runs; keep up w/ easy days easy and fast days fast (I ran a good speed workout this AM after not having run yesterday, and my legs were fresh Saturday after not having run Friday!) I am working on it and experimented a bit last week... and now I have the Daniels book :)

M: 8 mi run w/ 6 x 800 @ 6:49 pace (this is 5k pace -4 sec/mi) + 2800 yd swim
T: 12 mi easy run + 2000 yd swim
W: 65 min stairmaster + 4000 yd swim
T: 11 mi run w/ 4 x 400 @ 6:40 pace and 4 x 400 @ 6:35 pace + 2200 yd swim
F: 9.5 mi easy run (Seattle, treadmill)
S: 30 min recumbent bike + 50 min run with a friend along the Seattle waterfront, then 30 min on the treadmill, also easy.
S: off

So, not a horrible start to trying to have a bit more structure. It takes my legs a bit to warm up to do speed... on each of the interval days, I did a bunch of 400s building up to the actual interval pace. That is part of why those runs turned out to be so long: I'd do a mile or two easy, then some descending intervals, then my actual intervals. And on Thursday I was done with the speed by 8 miles, but wanted to run more because I hadn't run the day before. I just read through the Daniels book so now I have some better ideas about how to structure all of this. :P

Also, the Joint Maths Meetings were AWESOME.

I did something yesterday I've never done before. I got back late on Saturday night, and had a big bowl of pasta (I cooked a box of Near East couscous, and ate the whole thing) with pesto. It was half wanting pasta and half eating because I was tired... I had a bowl of it, then ate the other half (which was sort of bingeing). Anyway, usually if I binge eat, I run long the next day because I feel like I need to burn the calories off before they settle on my tummy as fat (yes, I know that's not how it works in real life, but that's what the eating disorder voice tells me). But I woke up at 7 am yesterday and it felt like the middle of the night, and I felt bloated from having eaten a large amount of pasta at 9:30 pm. I also (a) didn't want to run and (b) had run a lot of miles the past 3 days ... but rather than run, I did some work, took a nap, then did more work in the evening. And I wasn't super anxious or stressing about doing that, because somehow I was actually able to believe that I would not turn into the Michelin Wo(man) from eating couscous. And I am proud of myself for thinking more about "what can I do to make me faster" (get more sleep and not run) instead of "how do I ensure that I am super thin?" *bows for applause* LOL, this is sort of a big deal for me. Thanks for letting me share.

This week - run 2 workouts and 3-4 easy runs, bike 3x, swim 4x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: FAIL. 2 only. Head cold got in the way of 1 opportunity, the other was cancelled by weather.
bike x 1: Eeh, sort of a win. 1 easy trainer ride just to get the (differently-dished) trainer wheel shifting properly.
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Carry on regardless.

Quote | Reply
I am officially back TRAINING, not just rehabbing!!

Jonathan, the PT, said Friday that it's time to ramp it up and work on functional strength. I also rode the trainer. I'm up to 25 minutes and am easing in, increasing by 5 minutes at a time. And I was able to ride hard enough to sweat a little.

Lastly, I am back in the pool. It's been two months since I was there since I'd been having issues with my other leg (calf/hams). But the coach I swim with is doing a beginner's freestyle session, 2x/week for 9 weeks, then you move to the Masters' workouts. I did it two years ago and she and I talked and decided that it would be a good way to get back into the swim routine. Yesterday was the first session. And, there is a very cute country singer (who was also on Dancing with the Stars a few years ago) in the group. He wants to do an Ironman so we'll have a lot to talk about. :-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangit. I totally didn't realize until I read your message that he's "someone"...but I definitely made a comment about him being QUITE attractive yesterday. Stoked to keep seeing you & then see you at practices. And now we have something else to laugh about!

I was told to keep the sling on "when I'm out and about" for another couple/few weeks & to continue sleeping in it (for my own safe-keeping) but was released to start "gentle" PT twice a week with some restrictions.

It's a start.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Dangit. I totally didn't realize until I read your message that he's "someone"...but I definitely made a comment about him being QUITE attractive yesterday. Stoked to keep seeing you & then see you at practices. And now we have something else to laugh about!

I was told to keep the sling on "when I'm out and about" for another couple/few weeks & to continue sleeping in it (for my own safe-keeping) but was released to start "gentle" PT twice a week with some restrictions.

It's a start.

HA!!! I don't fool around when it comes to hot dudes.

http://chuckwicks.com/

Good news on the PT!!!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Progressing with running. As of today I was able to run 4min / walk 1min for 3mi. It's an easing back into running program from my PT.
Swam 11k yds last week over 3 swims. I'm not sure how many times I biked. The pool messed up taking off my swipes so they think I have 'extras' and I'm taking advantage.

This week, after one more run/walk, if it goes well I can try 30 mins run continuous. Problem is, the tendinitis is still there but different. Or not as bad. Or I'm not sure. I didn't feel really any tendinitis today, but felt sacrum aches. Or it's my butt. I'm not sure. It's weird.
No pain after today's run. I felt the hamstrings in the pool tonight.

Oh, and I'm on to a third round of interviews for a job.
plus I might be near to setting up another one at a different place.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The pool messed up taking off my swipes so they think I have 'extras' and I'm taking advantage.

"bank error in your favour, collect $200"
I totally would too!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
And, there is a very cute country singer (who was also on Dancing with the Stars a few years ago) in the group.
I follow neither country nor DwtS so I had to Google. That would definitely increase my chances of attending Master's regularly.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've returned to slowtwitch after a long hiatus. The time away was due largely to a disabling head injury two years ago that affected my coordination, speed, and comfort in running and biking. But I've been running and doing a lot of yoga recently--until the extreme fatigue and nausea of early pregnancy hit me like a ton of bricks.

Since this is the women's forum I figured I would join in on the conversation about weekly goals. It's been hard to by physical through my symptoms. A month ago I would follow a tempo run with a difficult hot yoga class. Now it takes it out of me just to do a 30 minute jog--and from what I read online hot yoga is contraindicated in pregnancy. But all the good classes in my neighborhood are heated! What to do?! This thing growing inside of me is very disruptive!

I'm not sure what my goals would be for next week. I'd like to be able to do running interval and tempo work, but not sure how to accommodate the new physical reality I'm in. I'd also like to continue to go to advanced yoga in a classroom setting but don't know what to make of all of the online warnings against hot yoga. Any advice on setting goals as a pregnant lady would be appreciated.

M: 30 minute jog
T: 30 minute jog
W: 30 minute jog (a pattern is developing here...)
R: 40 minute jog
F:60 minute spin bike
S: 30 minute jog, 75 minutes of yoga part of it a video w/ Fiji McAlpine (she has an intermediate course on doyogawithme.com for pregnant ladies which stands apart from the beginner nonsense that is otherwise available for the prenatal population if y'all are interested)
S: 50 minute trail run
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 11 Edition [darkhorsepick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsepick wrote:
This thing growing inside of me is very disruptive!

I think anyone who is remotely fit/active feels this way. The good news is the feeling passes, in about 9 months. Ba Dum.

When I was pregnant I just listened to my body. Some days were better/harder/faster/longer than others. I really had to rein in my expectations.

As for the hot yoga - I'd talk to your doctor, but I don't think overheating your body is very good for you. What exactly "overheating" looks like is another matter. I hate being too warm, so it was never an issue/consideration for me.

Good luck!
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Jan 12, 16 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the pregnancy! How far along are you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah I remember not being able to run hardly at all in 1st trimester - a lot of walking, swimming and sleeping! But by 14th week, was back at it, albeit easier. Ran until week 30, rode until week 35 (did a 200k randonneur ride at 5.5 months along) and swam until day before. Listen to your body, keep moving, so you don't feel like a slug...

Congrats!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done Tigerchik! I appreciate your post and honesty. It's hard balance to sometimes figure out what is the best plan to make me a better/stonger/faster athlete as opposed to train myself into the ground. I can relate to your post because sometimes I don't get enough sleep but I often choose the workout over the extra sleep! Kudos to you and good luck on getting faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Progress, Tiger... That's great progress! You're right to recognise and celebrate it!

I've been riding my trainer a bunch and not a lot else; too many other things going on with work and school and family and life in general. It's better than nothing, exercise-wise, but I could be doing more.

I have been diligently tracking meals and calories - and not lying about it when I have less-than-ideal days. I lost 4 pounds last week, this week I think I'll be lucky to have lost any. Being honest about it is important though, and not beating myself up, and remembering that I'm seeking health gains, not just weight loss.

I was coerced this week into signing up for the Muddy Onion - 34 miles of gravel in Vermont with some ridiculous amount of climbing at the back end of April, which I am actually really excited about. I understand that organised gravel rides are a whole heap of fun and the people are pretty cool and laid-back. 113 days out from my first tri for the year, which will be my first with a pool swim. I'm feeling good about 2016; I have some new stuff on the calendar that I'm really looking forward to.
Quote Reply