Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both?
Quote | Reply
I use oakleysbfor running and biking, with polarized lenses, and I love them. What's the deal with the prizm road lenses? How do they compare to polarized? I'm looking to buy a new pair of oakleys and would like some feedback from people who've tried both
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got both type of lenses. Prizms are by far my favorite, clarity is great, helps me to see stuff on the road and trail sooner, like driving with them too. I can't really explain it much more, you could order a pair and give them a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. I thought polarized was amazing. So you'd definately reccomend them?
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highly recommended, will be getting Jawbreakers with prizm lenses for next season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of different Oakley frames and lenses and the Prizms are the best. I have the Prizm Road lenses in my Jawbreakers and Prizm Daily lenses in the more casual, Two Face frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this is a personal preference thing. I HATE my prism lenses and going to replace them. I prefer polarized black iridium lenses.

You really should try them both on.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my take:
I prefer polarized for running, at least during races where the run tends to be during the brightest part of the day and where overall visual accuracy is not as critical.

I much prefer PRIZM to polarized for riding because I think that they give a "truer" image. Polarized lenses tend to be darker, relatively, which I don't want on the bike. I want as much light as I can handle, because it makes it easier to see the terrain - potholes, slick spots, debris, whatever.

Short answer: I prefer prizm on the bike, because I want glasses that let in more light. I prefer polarized when I run, because I want glasses that let in less light.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Wetfeet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetfeet wrote:
Highly recommended, will be getting Jawbreakers with prizm lenses for next season.

I don't understand why Jawbreakers are marketed as sunglasses for cyclists?
Who needs a full rim? IMHO its useless.
I prefer the "older" Radar XL or Radarlock XL with a half rim or even better was the "Zero" model which was totally rimless.
Sadly there was no polarized VR28 version of the Radarlock XL as I think that this polarized lens was the best ever oakley lens.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points, I'll probably stick with my Radars they fit well. But the ear stems are a bit long and I like how they can be adjusted on the J-breakers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Prizm trail lenses are great on the mtb when your path takes you in and out of the bright daylight.

Having said that, I still prefer a darker lense when 90+% of the ride will be in full sun. ymmv.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Radarlock XL were, imo, the best Oakley glasses for cycling. It's a shame that they no longer make them. I have managed to amass a good stash of frames and spares of my favorite lenses so I am good there. That said, the Prizm road lenses intrigue me and I may just try the Radar EV to get some. I can't understand why Oakley didn't do a Radarlock EV instead. Being able to easily remove the lenses for cleaning and changing is fantastic, something that is much trickier with the regular Radar frames. I have broken the end tabs off a lens or two when trying to wrestle them in or out of a frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prizm are awesome. For road riding I prefer a darker lens. But for MtB and CX, the prizm is just awesome.

I've never been a fan of polarized lenses. I can't put my finger on why, but a previous sponsor's polarized lenses turned me off.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been looking at the prizm road lenses, but I can't seem to find a vented version of the lenses. Anyone know if one is available?
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding with the radars ( non vents) for years and they are super awesome, but when I tried on the prizm I fell head over heels!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [ajminn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajminn wrote:
Been looking at the prizm road lenses, but I can't seem to find a vented version of the lenses. Anyone know if one is available?

Same here. I only want the vented prizm lense

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bavarian_Frank wrote:
I prefer the "older" Radar XL or Radarlock XL with a half rim or even better was the "Zero" model which was totally rimles

For anyone interested, Oakley just reintroduced the Zero series, now named EV Zero. Rimless and large lenses. Looks to be a brat option for TT / Tri riding.

http://www.oakley.com/...e-/category/m0203008

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone care to explain what the heck the differences between prizm, polarized, and photocromic?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.oakley.com/prizm

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I use oakleysbfor running and biking, with polarized lenses, and I love them. What's the deal with the prizm road lenses? How do they compare to polarized? I'm looking to buy a new pair of oakleys and would like some feedback from people who've tried both

All depends on personal preference and conditions you are riding in, I'm in Canada for most part of the year it is dark in the mornings and gets dark early, during the day we have clouds etc. for 9 months of the year I have photochromic lenses on, for 3 summer months I have prizms or polarized. On my early morning commutes always using photochromic. Very sunny days get Polarized and normal days Prizms
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Bavarian_Frank wrote:

I prefer the "older" Radar XL or Radarlock XL with a half rim or even better was the "Zero" model which was totally rimles

For anyone interested, Oakley just reintroduced the Zero series, now named EV Zero. Rimless and large lenses. Looks to be a brat option for TT / Tri riding.

http://www.oakley.com/...e-/category/m0203008

They offer polarized PRIZM lenses with the EVZero.
Ordering now ...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried a friends prizms and they were awesome. Super clear and just amazing. Budget wise I'll stick with my old jawbones for now since i have multiple ames and multiple lenses. But yea, I want them. The Uranium Prizm road ones.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
I tried a friends prizms and they were awesome. Super clear and just amazing. Budget wise I'll stick with my old jawbones for now since i have multiple ames and multiple lenses. But yea, I want them. The Uranium Prizm road ones.

you can get replacement prizm lenses for your jawbones/racing jackets, fwiw...

edit to add: a direct link for you.
Last edited by: tetonrider: May 10, 16 21:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you don't want to buy a new pair of shades with the PRIZM lenses you can buy the lenses in most cases. The PRIZM technology was made for different sports and recently they came out with a lifestyle lens that I really like. I have tried all the lenses for the different applications. For example they have lenses for baseball, golf, and road biking. The technology really brightens everything up without allowing UV rays to damage your eyes.

If you aren't sure, go to a Oakley store and try the different lenses, you should notice the difference right away. I have several pairs of Oakley shades in different styles, with different lenses. I always used polarized lenses, but ever since the PRIZM lenses came out I try to use them most of the time. Even my every day shades, I use the lifestyle PRIZM lenses.

I just started using the new EVZero Path PRIZM Road and they are really light, really comfortable, and there isn't anything obstructing your view. For my riding conditions I am in Hawaii, so I use my shades in a lot of sunlight. I used the EVZeros in Kona a couple of weeks ago and I have no complaints.

Try it out and let me know what you think.
Last edited by: justablur: May 10, 16 22:43
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous of those that don't require the rx version, buying multiple lenses is way more expensive for me. After trying on the Prizm Road at a bike test event last year I've had to wait for the rx version to launch and had to save up but they are now on there way! The colours were noticeably better than my existing polarized lenses even though I couldn't see properly.

As others have said though lenses tints are a matter of personal taste and heavily dependent on the type and location of riding. Heading to a store and try them back to back or buy both online and return if you live to far away
Quote Reply
Re: Oakley polarized lenses vs prizm lenses... Who's tried them both? [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a picture of the EVZero's on your face? I can't seem to find a picture of what they look like on someone's face. Just trying to see if I like the look.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next