Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Talk to me about bulletproof vests
Quote | Reply
So some folks think that if we are all armed it will/may prevent mass shootings or however their argument goes, that is not the point here. But people are not going around with a gun in hand, bullet in the chamber and finger on the trigger. The gun is holstered or in a bag or wherever. By the time you reach for it you may be dead. So if I am one of the first people on some lunatic's list, I want to have a bit of a chance to get my gun.
What about bulletproof vests? Anybody has any experience with them? Are they any effective? What kinds are in existence? Are the bulletproof vest makers cashing in on the mass shootings? Are they regulated, meaning can buy one and wear it anywhere and anytime I want?
Thanks...
Last edited by: softrun: Jan 6, 16 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't own, but I was curious because I kept seeing advertisements for them on ammobot. I suspect each state/city may have different laws. From what I could tell, I could own one. but if you committed a crime in one then it was an added felonhy charge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about a daily wear thing like a kevlar vest or a steal plate thing for combat?

Quote | Reply
Plates are heavy, like really heavy. ATF agent patient brought his in for me to understand the loads on him during training. 30 lbs for a chest and back plate in a fairly minimal vest. Then they start adding the gear and ammo to that. And they're huge/bulky. Stopping a rifle round requires big heavy plates. Stopping a pistol round, I believe, can be done with much, much less.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Are you talking about a daily wear thing like a kevlar vest or a steal plate thing for combat?
Foe everyday use. You know, I go about minding my own business when a lunatic opens fire just like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevlar baby!

Quote | Reply
Why not get a bulletproof backpack?

I think situational awareness will get a lot of people out of these situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you plan on being shot by a pistol or a rifle?
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

Quote | Reply
How bad have things gotten that you're seriously considering wearing armour all day, every day?

Is that seriously what you're intending to do?

I don't want to incur The Forge's wrath so I'm not going to comment on how fucked up the rest of the world thinks the USA is, but really????

If I ever felt threatened enough to consider wearing body armour going about my day to day business, then it's time to get the fuck out of whatever shit hole I've found myself in.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [downesy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless the OP lives in Iraq, Syria or Somalia he should maybe go see a doctor about anxiety issues. Seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm even more amazed that he got more than one serious response to his question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You serious, Clark?

Drive to Oregon and ask one of those dudes.

LR seems a bit nutty lately.

If I were you I'd just wait for the Death Blossom to become commercially available and wearable. Last Starfighter came out in 1984..only a matter of time right?

Last edited by: Skipjack: Jan 7, 16 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
You serious, Clark?

Drive to Oregon and ask one of those dudes.

LR just seems bat shit crazy anymore.

If I were you I'd just wait for the Death Blossom to become commercially available. Last Starfighter came out in 1984..only a matter of time right?

Seems like you might want to lead with that tech next time right? I mean it's over 30 years later and I still can't get over the fact they almost let the Kodan Armada get us by waiting to the last second. Dumb asses.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right??

I mean I get that it would have made the movie incredibly short but fuck..we're talking galactic peace and security here..

I seriously need to watch this and Krull again..these seem like movies I need to revisit every decade or so..for entertainment and personal defense reasons.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Right??

I mean I get that it would have made the movie incredibly short but fuck..we're talking galactic peace and security here..

I seriously need to watch this and Krull again..these seem like movies I need to revisit every decade or so..for entertainment and personal defense reasons.

Not to mention Maggie was waiting back at StarLight Mobile Home Park to um......give him a heroes welcome. There really is no reason to hold back on the Death Blossom.

Krull! I have this new channel or new to me with all these movies as of late. Dragonslayer.....still sucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You beat me to the punch..Dragonslayer would have absolutely been my next post!

...and no matter how hard I tried to like Dragonslayer I just could not bring myself to.

Totally off my attempted comedic portrayal of personal defense but since we're on a roll on movies from the period..hell let's watch some Strange Brew greatest clips!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PX store..loads of em , go try one on!

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That automatically leads into Slap Shot, the Hanson Brothers and 'put me in goach'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure does..not to mention Monster Squad!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I inherited one in my (prosecutor) office years ago. As I recall, they are available in various levels of protection i.e. what round they will stop. As you go up in levels they get heavier and more cumbersome.The one I had was pretty bulky and I never wore it. I think they also have an expiration date. Not practical for everyday wear, unless you are in a combat zone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Not sure whether you are trolling ...

On the off chance you are being serious - your proposition is nuts. Seriously, it is akin to wearing a life vest on any airplane that travels over water. You cannot live your life that way. Add the fact that vests only cover vital organs and offer only some defense. I have spent periods of time wearing full Army body armor, over-the-clothes vests, and concealed vests. They suck. They are thick, hot, bulky, uncomfortable. They cut into your underarms and your middle when you sit. It is not a viable option for daily wear.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Unless the OP lives in Iraq, Syria or Somalia he should maybe go see a doctor about anxiety issues. Seriously.

Or Detroit!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need one that has pockets for your suppressors and extra clips.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about bulletproof vests [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
Do you plan on being shot by a pistol or a rifle?
I don't know. What is historicaly the weapon of choice for lunatics?
Quote Reply

Prev Next