Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2016 - What's your plan?
Quote | Reply
And how did 2015 meet your expectations? (See: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5385683 for 2015's goal thread)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 - What's your plan? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2015 goals were:
--------
1: Find a job I love - there has to be more to life than what I'm doing today... DONE
2: World's masters winter games in 30 days - have fun and enjoy the experience DONE and one of the best experiences I'd had in a while...
3: Get back to run racing - a 5k, 8k or 10k - no matter how far away I am from a PB :-) FAIL - didn't really do this as much as I thought I would, only 1 5k race.
4: Do more hiking this summer, and go camping at least once FAIL - did some hiking but no camping and no BIG hikes...
5: Paint the house and rebuild the deck DONE and this took a lot of our time
6: Finish my Master Black Belt DONE and ditto #5 - took a lot of time and energy.

For 2016?
----------------
1: Complete the Double Berlin Marathon in Sept - inline skate marathon on Sat, running marathon on Sun
2: Get my 500m short track skate time below 1:00. This will be hard. I am close.
3: Buy a piece of land - Nicola Valley area - looking at 10-20 acres. Future homestead. Or hop farm. :-) We need to escape the city.
4: Compete in the North American Masters games in my backyard in Aug - they are putting on both Olympic and Sprint tri distances, I might do both but for sure the sprint. I might look at some of the run or cycling events too. If any of you ladies want to come to Vancouver to participate, let me know!
5: Get my level 1 NCCP coaching cert for speed skating.
6: Get my level 2 refereeing cert for speed skating.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2015 goals were:
1. Stay uninjured - last year I sprained my knee skiing steeps in January and then sprained my ankle playing tennis in July.
Kind of; I only had one major sprain and that was when I fell off my back step BUT I did get a lot of colds that migrated to my lungs and made life miserable.

2. Complete Calgary 70.3 AND not be bleeding in the finisher photo.
Done! (blood not visible)

3. PR a standalone HM
Nope. Only ran one standalone HM and it was nowhere near PR.

4. Get my firefighter level 2 qualification
Nope. The department didn't do it this year. I did learn a lot about pump operations though...

5. Get my EMR qualification
Done!

2016 goals
1. Train consistent more of the time - I had some really good months in 2015 and some really bad months. I want more good months in 2016.

2. PR Calgary 70.3. 2015 time was really slow so my stretch goal is 6:30. Too far out at the moment to say what a realistic PR would be.

3. Get my Alberta College of Paramedics registration.

4. Make a decision about the EMT course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2015 goals were my first HIM. I initially set a goal time of 7 hours, then as my training progressed, I moved it to 6:30. Race day ended up being hot and humid, so I came in at 6:57.
I also did my first 30k.
The final goal was to complete Savageman 70, which I did, although I didn't get the brick.
This year is more ambitious. I am still trying for a 6:30 HIM and that brick, but I also have my first 50k and my first 140.6 (14 HR goal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AP, thanks for asking. I was too deep in injuries to develop expectations for 2015. Had hoped to complete a sprint tri or two. Had to settle for sprint aquabike (yes, there is such a thing).

Plan for 2016
1. Cultivate the inner conditions for happiness. I did a short course of cognitive behavioral therapy this Fall to help me better manage chronic pain. That led me to meditation, which I am working to practice. It also led me to a wonderful CD by Matthieu Ricard, "Happiness: A guide to developing life's most important skill." I highly recommend it. It's very good on what we can and cannot control.

2. Be better to my back. I tend to put in too many hours at work, and fail to take the breaks that I need to keep my back happy. That increases my back pain. Pain, meds and work are not a good combination.

3. Call the question on triathlon. I'm 2+ years post-back injury. I haven't given up yet on returning to tri. (See what I did there--called it "giving up.") It's time I came to an understanding of what is realistic and feasible for me to expect. It's hard, because with backs, there are not any definitive answers. I'm focusing on the run piece first, then bike, then swim (from hardest to easiest for me).

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't write a goal on that thread, but my goal (posted on a similar thread in the main forum) had been to crack 40 min in a 10k. I didn't run a 10k... I did run a bunch of 5ks, the best time for which was 21:07. I did take 5 min off my bike split at a sprint tri, and I am proud of that.

My plan for 2016 is to become a faster runner and cyclist. I have been working on keeping easy days easy (and lower mileage), and I want to make more progress with that. I tend to run a distance and pace that will keep my anxiety in check, rather than following a training plan. The result of this is I was running about 70 min every day with very little variation. I want to have a larger standard deviation. My first goal for 2016 is to crack 20 min in a 5k, and then to crack 40 min in a 10k. I will get there by keeping easy days EASY and that will let me do hard days.

In terms of being a faster cyclist I will (a) install the cycling computer I bought a month ago, (b) ride more, and (c) ride harder via using the cycling computer.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh lord.

2015:
Get back in shape. [No]
Do some tris. [Did an aqua bike]
Get back to bike racing. [Only raced a couple of times]

2016:

* Rehab my knee and regain strength and fitness and get back to racing.

I had an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon this week and he is super happy with how my knee is coming along. In fact, I don't have to go back for 8 months, at 1-year post-surgery. He said get after gaining strength and functionality and gave me another round of PT. So, time to get back in the gym and ramp up the bike slowly.

* RETURN TO BIKE RACING!

* Do some Aquabike races.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 - What's your plan? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I didn't write a goal on that thread, but my goal (posted on a similar thread in the main forum) had been to crack 40 min in a 10k. I didn't run a 10k... I did run a bunch of 5ks, the best time for which was 21:07. I did take 5 min off my bike split at a sprint tri, and I am proud of that.

My plan for 2016 is to become a faster runner and cyclist. I have been working on keeping easy days easy (and lower mileage), and I want to make more progress with that. I tend to run a distance and pace that will keep my anxiety in check, rather than following a training plan. The result of this is I was running about 70 min every day with very little variation. I want to have a larger standard deviation. My first goal for 2016 is to crack 20 min in a 5k, and then to crack 40 min in a 10k. I will get there by keeping easy days EASY and that will let me do hard days.

In terms of being a faster cyclist I will (a) install the cycling computer I bought a month ago, (b) ride more, and (c) ride harder via using the cycling computer.

These are pretty much my goals, too. I love swimming, but there isn't much room for improvement there because I do it so much. I'm aiming to break 20 minutes in a 1500 meter pool race at the end of this month - then I'll turn my focus to run/bike.

For running, I'm thinking I should be able to crack 20 min in a 5K if I commit to more frequent, harder work-outs (including track work-outs). My PR right now is 21:10. Running 25-30 easy miles a week on the treadmill is not going to do it. I'd love to try a marathon this year (ultimate goal is to BQ), but I've never been able to train for it without getting hurt. Maybe a marathon is just not in the cards for me - ever.

I only biked 65 miles in 2015, and 50 of those miles were in races. At the end of 2015, I bought a new bike, new saddle, new trainer. My plan this year is to start slow - maybe bike for 20 minutes in the morning 4-5 mornings a week.

My big goal every year is the same - stay healthy. Fairly successful in 2015 although I've got a hamstring injury now that is making running tough.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 - What's your plan? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I want to have a larger standard deviation.

That's funny. Somebody does some statistics!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ooo alrighty.

2015 was pretty much a write-off fitness wise, except got stronger swimming with an ankle band. We'll see how/if that translates when i rejoin masters group tomorrow.

get rid of sesamoiditis. Get stronger on the bike, even though that will be mainly indoors. Nurse together a run/walk that will carry me through a half iron (optimal) at some point midyear. Recover with pool runs, they make my joints feel 30 years younger. Keep taking vitamin D, it's been doing wonders on my mood.

In other words, complete the races I bagged out of last year due to deep lack of mojo.

Best wishes girls!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My unofficial goals for 2015 were to improve in all three disciplines, run 1500 miles, PR at the spring Olympic race I do every year and qualify for AG nationals, take some time off my second shot at 70.3 (also the same race as last year... I like to stick with what works), and go sub-4 in my fall marathon. And lose some weight. That's not asking too much, is it?

Swimming and biking went OK. I did swim a lot more and logged my highest-volume month ever, but my pool times still suck. I tried to find another master's group but that one was also a bust. I did take almost a minute off an open-water mile race I do every year, and did the swim leg of the 70.3 21 seconds faster than last year and placed better comparatively, so I had mild success there. I bought a magnetic trainer and re-dedicated myself to indoor riding on my tri bike, not my old, crappy ten-speed. I was on pace to set a small bike PR at my 70.3 before lightning canceled the race, so I consider that another mild success although it's unofficial. I also got a tiny bit less uncomfortable with riding in aero.

The PR and AG nationals qualification didn't happen. I skimped on strength and pre-hab training and ran myself into a couple injuries, which put an end to the 1500 miles goal I had been on pace for. That also took away the possibility of a sub-4. The losing weight also didn't happen. I got on the scale Jan. 1 and saw a number I have never seen before. My BMI is officially into the "overweight" category. I knew it would be bad, but sheesh.

On the plus side, I did run 141 more miles than last year and did finish my 7th marathon in a respectable-for-me time when my injuries made me unsure I would finish at all.

Because I'm still not really running, I'm holding off on making any triathlon goals for 2016. My first order of business is to strengthen and stay healthy. I may not be able to do a fall marathon or a 70.3 at all. Maybe I'll do a few fun 5Ks with my husband and a few fun sprint tris, if I can work up to running that far.

I'm trying to make a new swimming schedule work -- waking up at 4:30 a.m. last season really sucked. And so help me God, this is the year I learn to do a fucking flip turn. As far as biking goes, it's hard for me to make mileage goals, living in Michigan, so my goal is probably just "bike hard on the trainer and get faster on the roads." Learn how to ride in aero. Keep working at the hills.

And stop eating so much junk food! My first weight goal is to get back into "healthy" range. I've really let the eating go these past few months and I've got to rein it back in, especially since I'm not really running.

(Sorry for the novel!)

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Complete the Double Berlin Marathon in Sept - inline skate marathon on Sat, running marathon on Sun"

I have done the Double Berlin Marathon (2011). Much fun!! I should put that on my list of races to repeat.

My 2015 goals were to:
1. Resist the Frenzy - of signing up for races the millisecond they opened. Instead I wanted to wait a bit to make sure my training didn't fall off a cliff over the winter - Done.
2a. Enjoy don't Dread - aim was to enjoy participating because it's fun, rather than dreading an event because I didn't think I could live up to the expectations I'd built up - Some success. Was doing great until a personal situation cropped up, caused in part by my focus on training. Rebounded pretty well though.
2b. This also involved enjoying the process of training, embracing the small challenges of completing each workout as written rather than assuming my coach was insane with the paces he put. Figured this would give me many chances to enjoy success even if my race didn't go as planned. Turns out it also set me up for greater liklihood of reaching my race goals.
3. Avoid the Triggers - this meant I was prepared to tune some friends out b/c I had an uncomfortable period of being bitch-slapped by friends who then complained their awesome results weren't awesome enough. Basically, I needed to develop enough belief in myself, period. - Progress, but this was helped by my improved results.

Other goals that required the above to go well were:
a. Finish AZ CWD, the monkey-on-my-back race with both prior DNF and DNS. DONE!
b. 13 h full finish, which had eluded me for years. Done.
c. Believe I can successfully execute the race run pace plan my coach wrote for me. Done!

For 2016:
1. Develop consistent/predictable swim paces. Fact: After 14 years of triathlon I'm still a hot mess in the water.
2. Improve in bike/run to match or beat top AG placers in larger races.

And for specific races:
a. AZ LC, 10 h.
b. IM Vineman, 4 h run split (pending disclosure of course elevation).
c. Wineglass Marathon, BQ (goal <3:50).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Jan 27, 16 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 - What's your plan? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, you'll have to share your tips - I've never done a lot of inline skating but am researching training plans - and to be honest I'm probably gonna dog the skate... :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained by following a 20 week half IM plan I found online, substituting inline skating for the swimming. Think my slow run at that time (low 5 h) was a marathon pr. Not really sure how this would look now that I have higher expectations for my running. I'd be curious to know what an appropriate and focused training plan for that race looks like and look forward to hearing about your experience!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Jan 27, 16 7:09
Quote Reply