Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Open carry goes in effect in Texas today.
Quote | Reply
Soon to be florida to maybe. We've come a long way since our push (I was personally involved in) back in 2011. What surprises me is the news stories and the lack of common sense. If the anti gun people were to be believed we should see some shoot outs by night's end.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As seen on my neighborhood forum today which gave me a chuckle. I don't have an opinion on the law, but I can just picture this dude feeling cool (literally and figuratively in this case).

Quote:
To the xxx resident walking down xxx road in cowboy boots and a jacket held over your shoulder just to show the world your revolver when it's 45 degrees outside and sprinkling: you are the type of person I worry about. I have never seen you stroll the neighborhood in your boots and jeans and any person with sense would wear the jacket in this cold versus not wearing it to "let us know you are packing." If its attention you wanted you've got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virginia is and always was open carry. I can't recall ever seeing somebody open carry. Maybe a hunter in the woods or a rifle in a rack behind on the back window of a pickup. Arizona is to. I have t see. Much open carry except by gun store owners in their own stores. Which is legal in most states that don't allow open carry. It is a non issue. For me it is more about piece of mind due to accidental exposure or making it more practical to wear a belt holster under a shirt or jacket or if you do a lot of driving in a bad area.

Now that I think about it, all this press is good. Now there should t be any LEOs not aware of the law. That has been a threat the head sheriff in florida has repeatedly made in opposition to it. He has said that his deputies would likely draw on open carriers and would be authorized to do so. I bet somebody I texas said the same. This is why there was a provision forbidding police from asking for if based solely on open carry. That should be a standard rule where open carry is allowed.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a neighborhood forum???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You have a neighborhood forum???
Neighborhood in loose terms. It's Texas, with plenty of "master planned communities", aka giant, suburban masses of people and houses. At 5+ square miles, it's more like a small city, and now with dipshits playing cowboy. Nuthin' like Texas hillbillies.
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems odd that a guy in a douchebag hat would carry (what looks like) an AK47 to the drug store.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alabama is (or was last time I looked at it) open carry. However, put a firearm in the glove box or under the seat (locked trunk is ok) and you need a concealed carry permit. Been here over 25 years and only saw an open carry once. A couple of years ago, as I was walking through a project I saw a white dude and girl, both carrying openly on their belts. Looked like Ted Nugent and his wife, but younger. They were giving a speech to a couple of the residents. Weird.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hasn't open carry of rifle always been legal in TX?
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Alabama is (or was last time I looked at it) open carry. However, put a firearm in the glove box or under the seat (locked trunk is ok) and you need a concealed carry permit. Been here over 25 years and only saw an open carry once. A couple of years ago, as I was walking through a project I saw a white dude and girl, both carrying openly on their belts. Looked like Ted Nugent and his wife, but younger. They were giving a speech to a couple of the residents. Weird.

That is the las in virginia. So people would have to put the gun on the dashboard or even a seat. I've done the seat deal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the pleasure or reading an article from Esquire ( I know I shouldn't have clicked on it at that point but I did) yesterday where the author in typical race baiting for put up the headline that Open carry is legal in ohio except if you are Tamir Rice.

Oh what a glorious collection of idiots joined the conversation. I think it's horrible how the cops approached the situation and that no one is going to pay but to suggest it was an open carry situation is idiotic. Several pepole pointed out he was pointing it at people but that fell on the deaf ears of the race bites who puss their pants at the mere mention of a gun.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
I had the pleasure or reading an article from Esquire ( I know I shouldn't have clicked on it at that point but I did) yesterday where the author in typical race baiting for put up the headline that Open carry is legal in ohio except if you are Tamir Rice.

Oh what a glorious collection of idiots joined the conversation. I think it's horrible how the cops approached the situation and that no one is going to pay but to suggest it was an open carry situation is idiotic. Several pepole pointed out he was pointing it at people but that fell on the deaf ears of the race bites who puss their pants at the mere mention of a gun.

This was a common theme in the news last week. And there is some merit to it. But open carry means on your person. Not in your hand and not pointing it which rice appeared to be doing. It is amazing how these things sort of take off. I heard it on three different shows and read it in two different articles. But it was completely bs.

With that said, that is why the provision forbidding police from stopping people openly carrying to ask for is was added in Texas. It was actually a provision wanted by black legislators and other minority advocacy groups. The fear was minorities openly carrying would give license for police to harass them while whites would not get the same scrutiny.

That is a valid point and a good reason to have the provision. Regardless of race. But I don't see how any of the open carry laws I have seen or studies would apply the Rice case.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Virginia is and always was open carry. I can't recall ever seeing somebody open carry. Maybe a hunter in the woods or a rifle in a rack behind on the back window of a pickup. Arizona is to. I have t see. Much open carry except by gun store owners in their own stores. Which is legal in most states that don't allow open carry.

New Hampshire is open carry too. And gun store owners can in their own stores.

I've only seen it by gun store owners in fact...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I have not seen anyone packing much less any shootouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
So far I have not seen anyone packing much less any shootouts.

Where in TX? I have a college pal in Dallas and as soon as I read this thread I sent him a text and asked him to let me know the first time he sees an open carry. He replied with 'already saw 2' yesterday. Forgot to ask him is he is going to open carry he is a 1911 guy at heart, but hasn't up to now for obvious reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to thank you and others of your beliefs for providing the rest of the world (doesn't even have to be civilized) with such a fine example of sensible behaviour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFTZeenkZy4

Last edited by: phog: Jan 3, 16 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You of all people should know I really don't care what other countries think. And I love the pink being used. You know I do. Care what you specifically think and are trying to hit it in pink so you can get your point across by making it look like a joke.

Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There may be an initial phase where people test the waters. But it will be an I materially small number.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think you were dangerous, as your beliefs and philosophy are so malignant.

Now I realise you aren't, except to yourself.
But you are amusing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What part of I don't care what foreigners think of our gun laws do you not understand. Especiallt you since I've told you this already told you a long time ago.

Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Austin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MN has a "carry permit". Does not specify if it needs to be concealed or not. Basically open carry. I have seen 1 person open carry, and most people assumed he was LE.

I always CC.
Quote Reply
Re: Open carry goes in effect in Texas today. [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reality is people feel uncomfortable with people openly carrying. I see little need to do except in very narrowly defined circumstances. But it is a right I would prefer to have than not. I also like not having complicated laws that police may not be aware of with regard to accidental exposure or even printing (concealed weapons outline through your clothes). Open carry is good law. The fears are exaggerated or completely without merit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question - open carry - does this mean loaded with lock off?

Would this be different than the way police carry? Assume they are loaded, but are locks on? Would think in a hand to hand fight, an unlocked gun could get mightly dangerous
Quote Reply

Prev Next