Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear that recovery has started.

As for the rest of it - heal up from this first before worrying about what is next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear the surgery went well and sorry it's worse than you thought it would be. I hope you're not in too much pain today. Hugs!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. That was me in 2009 and I stuck it out for 6 (mostly painful years).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that stinks, I'm sorry to hear that it's worse then originally thought. But to Cathy's point, getting it dealt with is a good thing - it will just take time and patience and more of your mental toughness. Try to relax and rest up for now.

And Merry HoHo. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my Christmas presents were: Knee surgery with news I need a replacement and a ~7% rent increase. yay adulthood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Thank you so much everyone. It's great having this support, especially from athletes as you all have a unique understanding of my frustrations. And I haven't even met most of you!

Knee surgery went well in general. No negative affects from the anesthesia, no nausea or anything. I was tired last night but not doped. The pain is tolerable and I'm mobile. I did take an oxy last night but stayed with Advil so far today. I'm glad I spend the night with by brother but his in-laws were there, plus the kids, so it was a bit chaotic. I just got back to my place and am enjoying some quiet.

The bad news is my knee is a lot worse than he expected. There is no cartilage in 4 places. He said it is the knee of someone much older. We only talked for a few minutes but he did say a total knee replacement is necessary. We didn't talk timeline, I'll have a follow-up with him to go over that. I'm hoping this will at least reduce some pain but in general it won't do as much as we thought since the damage is pretty bad. "Severe arthritis" on my discharge notes :-(

I won't worry about it for a couple days. I need to get over the hump on this surgery before planning the next. Netflix and Instacart are on my list of next steps for now :-)

Sorry about this news Jen. Hoping you get some concrete info from the Doc on your follow up.

Be well,. John
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw the surgeon yesterday morning for follow-up. Knee is fucked. I'm now at the "how long can I deal with the pain" phase. I think the cleanup will help a bit and he said we should try the injections again.

He kept saying how shocked he is at the degeneration. Keywords in the report include: "significant wear pattern", "somewhat shocking to say the least at this point", "far more advanced disease than anticipated." In the office he kept repeating that I'm only 46 and he thought he was looking at the knee of someone far older. He also said I'll never run again, even with a replacement, but hiking would be doable.

I'll look at doing a replacement in the Fall if the pain is too limiting. I at least want to get through the nice weather before being locked in the house for 8 weeks. My goal is to just be more active. Right now I'm doing a lot of walking on it because I'm looking at a new apartment. It's been painful but he's encouraged me to keep doing it.

2016 is gearing up to be a bit chaotic with a new apartment and new knee. Hey....maybe renewal is the theme....

Thanks EVERYONE for your support. It means so much.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there! Hard to understand him saying no running with a replacement. That doesn't even sound correct! Plus he doesn't know you!! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I echo what johnnybefit said. I think you have a good perspective of being a bit more active right now. Deal w/ running/not running after the replacement.
Is this surgeon used to athletes? Can you see someone else (it might be good to have someone whose perspective is doing the best job they can to give you the CHANCE at running rather than assuming from the getgo that you won't be able to)

I hope that made sense.
I have full faith in you and am mad at your surgeon!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While the rent increase totally sucks, I suspect that in the back of your mind, you knew that the replacement news was a very real possibility. Not saying that doesn't suck as well. It all sucks. There's a very high concentration of suckiness in your space right now, so much so that it's a stronger force than you are at the moment. Kinda like your own suckiness black hole.

At some point, you will choose to escape your suckiness black hole and leave it behind. Because while you are stronger than the suckiness force holding you down today, you're not yet ready to BE stronger and move out of the suckiness black hole.

Xmas 2016 has GOT to be better right? :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always look back at the hell that was Sept 2011 - Dec 31st 2012 and so far nothing compares to how sucky that is. This shit is mild compared to my divorce and aftermath :-)

My Dr is a sports med doc. He knows I will try to run anyway :-) but he is conservative and will say no anyway.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Troo dat. I know it's hard to be positive right now. Just remember we're all rooting for you.

A

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Hang in there! Hard to understand him saying no running with a replacement. That doesn't even sound correct! Plus he doesn't know you!! :)

Sure, one can run after a TKR but.....you also have a much much larger chance of wearing it out. Problem with this is each time you have to replace (or do a revision), there is less and less of your own bone. Why do you think Bo Jackson took up cycling after his 2nd hip replacement (after he wore out the first one in less than a year).

I do know a runner who is very slowly adding some running back with oversight by his surgeon. But he's running on very soft surfaces and no more than 20 minutes at a time a couple of times a week. And this is at last 3 years post TKR.

Personally, this surgery was such a bitch that there is no f'ing way I want to do it again.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Sure, one can run after a TKR but.....you also have a much much larger chance of wearing it out. Problem with this is each time you have to replace (or do a revision), there is less and less of your own bone. Why do you think Bo Jackson took up cycling after his 2nd hip replacement (after he wore out the first one in less than a year).

I do know a runner who is very slowly adding some running back with oversight by his surgeon. But he's running on very soft surfaces and no more than 20 minutes at a time a couple of times a week. And this is at last 3 years post TKR.

Personally, this surgery was such a bitch that there is no f'ing way I want to do it again.

Thanks for the insights Cathy. I did not know you had a TKR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

18 weeks and 4 days ago. Not that I'm counting or anything!!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

18 weeks and 4 days ago. Not that I'm counting or anything!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I wonder if you could use this: https://run4.com/...ct/bionic-runner-us/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

I'd rather have one of those gravity treadmills. Or actually, I'd rather ride my bike! My surgeon says I can still bike race. And ice skate.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I'd rather have one of those gravity treadmills. Or actually, I'd rather ride my bike! My surgeon says I can still bike race. And ice skate.

Makes sense to me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, I'm curious as to why your knee has degenerated so much so early. Is it due to acute injury somewhere along the way, poor choice of parents (biomechanics) or a combo of both?

I reckon I've recently dodged a bit of a bullet with the severe bruising I gave my knee and it's given me a huge boot up the butt to pay it a lot more attention than I have and work a lot harder on fixing/managing the biomechanical issues that have led to the damage in the first place.

I'm down to bone on bone now with the patella but it doesn't give me any real pain so I'll just keep going knowing that I'll possibly be up for a TKR at some stage down the track. How nice I am to it now will probably influence just when that will be...
Quote Reply
Re: Arthroscopic knee surgery 12/22 [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Primarily bad mechanics in that one knee. My other knee hasn't shown any issues. I knew it would be a problem eventually I'd just hoped to last a bit longer. I've done long distance stuff primarily so I accelerated the process over if I'd stuck to shorter distances.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah - blame the parents then.. Similarly I don't think I've helped lately with an exuberance for trail running and lots of hills!!

I've been working with an awesome rehab chiropractor recently who's pretty much rewiring my neuro muscular system so I'm hoping if I'm vigilant about all the corrective exercise homework he's giving me, I might get it into reasonable shape and dodge surgery for a bit longer.

Al least as multi sport athletes we've always got a few more activities to turn to when we reach a road block with one of them:-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next