Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Dec. 21 edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 21 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I RODE MY BIKE OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16 weeks + 4 days post-surgery.

I also got back in the gym and will be working out with my teammate (who's a personal trainer) once a week, along with PT 2x/week.

Light at the end of the tunnel!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 21 edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!! That's exciting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!!!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Cathy! I know this has been a long time coming for you.

Last week's goals:
swim x 2: win with 3
bike x 1: win
run x 4: win with 5
core/strength x 4: win
foam roll x 1: fail

And then I woke up Sunday morning with horrible pain in the left side of my throat while swallowing. I swam, biked and ran anyway, and hoped it would get better. Instead, it got worse and is radiating up into my left ear and eye socket, and I've been living on a couple of cups of tea and water since yesterday morning. Called my doc's office - they said call the after-hours clinic after 5pm. I called Telehealth Ontario & spoke to a nurse who did an assessment based on symptoms & insisted I need to see a doctor within 24hrs. She told me to call Telehealth at 5pm for a referral to a clinic, which I did...and the nurse I spoke to did the exact same assessment, and gave me the exact same number to call that my doc's office had.

So, at 5:15pm I called the after-hours number. Got put on hold for 5+mins, then got a recorded message stating they were fully booked for the day and to try again tomorrow.

Pain is even worse this morning. I have so much work to get done before the end of the month that I can't afford to be out of the office, so here I am in bloody misery whining on the internet.

Merry Christmas to me.

On a brighter note, things with my husband are getting much better. He's making a huge effort to treat me like a queen, and has been so very sweet and gentlemanly in ways he hasn't before...right up to buying me a (modest but beautiful) diamond ring and kneeling before me to present it last Saturday night, promising to be the man I deserve.

So at least one aspect of life is improving, and I have a pretty sparkly thing to distract me from how much my throat, ear and head hurt.

I don't think I'll set any goals this week since I just don't know what I'm capable of. I have done strength workouts yesterday and this morning, but it hurts worse when I breathe through my mouth so I don't know if training is such a good idea.

Quote | Reply
Doctor - go. Medicenter, emergency, your doctor. Just go. Work will wait.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week:
bike outside on every day it is possible to do so I rode outside once.
take at least a day off from running done
keep working on balancing short, easy, long, and fast rather than all runs regressing to the mean better
swim a couple of times done
get some schoolwork done did some

I am typing with one hand because I am holding a kitten! We're fostering 3 for two weeks.

overall
swim 3x = 8450 yds
bike 2x = 26 mi
run 6x = 55.4 mi

goals this week = day off from running, ride outside 2x, swim at least once

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
k - oh my pretty and glad he's recommitting - but woah you need to not worry about work and get into a doc or ER if this doesn't abate

tc - regressing to the mean on runs, absolutely, so hard to keep it "fresh", we are creatures of habit. I find different routes help a lot with the mental aspect of it - the ravine is for hill repeats, the park is for intervals, the lake is LSD...

Last week: enjoy a break from racing... DONE :-)
- run 3x FAIL only 1 run done, you'll read why below
- ride 1x (it's almost too dark & stormy to ride to work - a lot of low visibility areas and it's quite dangerous - so this will be weather dependent) FAIL see below
- skate 5x DONE but on Tues am skate, I fell very awkwardly into the mats and somehow rammed my skate blade tube (the blade holder not the blade itself) into my right glute. Holy crap major charlie horse and the bruise I have is frightening. I tried to jog easy on Sat and it was still painful. So that killed the running and riding for the week. Oh well, c'est la vie, just looking forward to when I start to roll it out... !!! However did a Cooper Endurance test on Sat (12min skate, count your laps). While it hurt like hell, I managed to improve from end of last season's 40 laps to 44 laps, and clocked one of the top rankings in the club. :-)
- find some decent skip ropes FAIL been too busy, will go look today.

This week:
- run EZ any
- skate 1x + 1 rec (hockey skate) session
- ride 2x
- eat yummy treats
- sleep a lot
- enjoy not working for a couple days
- see Star Wars (we are going with the kids for Xmas eve)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 21 edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: I called an urgent care clinic in the city where I work, and they said they weren't busy so I buggered off to see a doc (with boss's ok - he's very understanding, it's just my workload that keeps me tied down here). 2hrs later I am back at the office with a filled prescription for amoxicillin and some benzydamine oral rinse to treat what is apparently a throat infection. The mouthwash has an analgesic component, which is helping - I can now breathe comfortably, speak quietly without agony, and swallowing is a little less painful.

The internet did a wonderful job of scaring me into action (throat cancer! strep that turns into rheumatic fever! herpes simplex!), and thank you also to the womens for kicking my ass. I'll work through my lunch (still not hungry/up for food anyway) and be halfway to making up the time I missed to get this checked out.

Quote | Reply
I'm glad you went. Hopefully you start feeling better soon.

I really don't understand why it's so easy to see from the outside that someone should go to the doctor & get checked out, but when it's me I always think "maybe it's not that bad, I don't want to waste their time".
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 21 edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all!

Congrats mistressk!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad that from here on out the days will be getting longer. I NEED DAYLIGHT.
On the plus side, I've been getting it since I'm unemployed.
Almost to the end of week #2 of no bike. I almost got on the darn thing today but the roads were soaked.
I did go out last Sat. and stoker'd the tandem MTB with my friend who we've been riding a bit as such this fall. It was a blast. I don't see that as official biking, I don't think either of us are actually getting a workout in... we're both a tad too cautious to go fast enough on the beast to get our HR up. Tee hee. But hey, two hot chicks on one bike, on the trail no less. It's a rip.

Goal is to get to the weekend and then start the slow return to running. My PT gave me a return to run protocol.
I swam a killer long workout last night - 4150 yds. yAHOO!!!
I loved it. It even included a straight 1,000, but as such:
25 hard, 25 easy
50 hard, 50 easy
75 hard, 75 easy
100 hard, 100 easy
100 hard, 100easy,
75 hard, 75 easy
all the way back down to 25/25
all without stopping. The easy was your rest.
A bit more entertaining than a pure straight 1000.

Oh, and the company called - to set up a second interview for 12-28! Let's hope I can start 2016 with a new job! Or that it's not too far into 2016 that I start it.
I mailed out a letter and resume to another place that a friend in the field said was looking.

Hoping to figure out more workouts for the rest of the week that are "different". It's been a while since I've done anything like this.
Last week I tried a you tube step aerobics video and it was hilarious I'm sure. Good thing I was home alone. I used my kitchen step stool and at one point, I was so lost I just started making things up. Then I got back on track. But oh gosh. It made me feel like a total klutz.

I miss running.
The simplicity. The scenery, the runner's high, the moving through space and wind on my face.
Sigh.
Soon, someday soon perhaps.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Dec. 21 edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerobics of any kind make me look like a moron. I never would have survived the 80's if I was older.

Good luck with the job, second interview is a big step!
Quote Reply