Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1 up USA ever have a sale?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a platform style (easy on/off) rack. The 1 up USA seems to be the one I like best. Does anyone know if they ever have a sale?

Not ruling out the other brands, if someone knows of a sale on a similar model.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have never seen a sale for 1UP and since they sell direct to consumer, I think it is somewhat unlikely.

The other rack folks like is the Kuat NV - which you can buy at many places and usually find a discount.

I bought the 1UP as I wanted something fully modular and the ability to carry a single bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not definitive, but I've never seen them on sale but I'll vouch that their racks are awesome. I love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at the 1up and it came down to it and a Kuat Sherpa. Ended up going with the Sherpa as I used a back country 20% coupon with it which made the price too good to pass up. No regrets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course I'm biased, but I stopped using my 1Up USA for the Saris Freedom SuperClamp. I did pay retail for my 1Up and found it pretty heavy. I loved the collapsible nature of it, but once I started unloaded / loading the rack multiple times, I did not appreciate the heavy weight. I travel with a road bike and a fat tire bike so take that for what it's worth. And if there is ever any problems, our CS department is quick to fix it. My hat is tipped to 1Up as their rack is super engineered. The aluminum is great and the parts all move logically. But I sold it for a Freedom and traveled throughout the winter on Wisconsin's salty roads and didn't have a problem with any of the parts of the Saris.

When I was travelling through Colorado, I noticed a lot of Rhino racks and Kuats. Haven't had a chance to use them, but they all have similar tray setups.

Saris Cycling Group Developer
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
I looked at the 1up and it came down to it and a Kuat Sherpa. Ended up going with the Sherpa as I used a back country 20% coupon with it which made the price too good to pass up. No regrets.

Coupon still available?

*Edit....nevermind. I looked and it is. The 2 bike Kuat (Sherpa) is only $10 more than the 1-bike 1 up carrier. I think I'll go that route.

I appreciate all the responses. I got an email response from 1up and they never have a sale. I only wanted to buy the black carrier for the price of the gun metal. No dice.

No hard feelings on my end. I'm glad business is that good for them.

**Edit....after reading some reviews (Kuat)....maybe the T2 (Thule) is the way to go?
Last edited by: nc452010: Dec 14, 15 6:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
blueapplepaste wrote:

Coupon still available?

*Edit....nevermind. I looked and it is. The 2 bike Kuat (Sherpa) is only $10 more than the 1-bike 1 up carrier. I think I'll go that route.

I appreciate all the responses. I got an email response from 1up and they never have a sale. I only wanted to buy the black carrier for the price of the gun metal. No dice.

No hard feelings on my end. I'm glad business is that good for them.

**Edit....after reading some reviews (Kuat)....maybe the T2 (Thule) is the way to go?

There's a million threads on this and while it's really subjective, the top 2 based on personal recommendations on ST always tend to be the 1up USA and the Kuat NV. The Sherpa just seems like a cheaper NV so maybe that's your problem.

Personally I have a 1up for a variety of reasons and have been happy with the purchase, but I probably could have been happy with a cheaper rack as well. No regrets though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the Sherpa is fixed with only 2 bikes whereas the NV can be expanded to 4 bikes. I will never have need of more than 2 bikes so the NV wasn't worth the extra cost for my needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Kuat NV and love it!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Looking for a platform style (easy on/off) rack. The 1 up USA seems to be the one I like best. Does anyone know if they ever have a sale?

Thanks.

After lusting after the 1upUSA, I bought the Kuat NV in March of this year. I HATED it after one week. I was going to add-on two additional racks to make it 4-bike compatible, then realized that once you do that, there's no easy way of going back to two. And there's no option for three.

So I sold the Kuat and bought the 1upUSA and two add-ons. And I absolutely LOVE it.

It's an expensive rack, no doubt. But, take it from me, if you're considering it . . . buy it. Some of the benefits of the 1upUSA over the Kuat that I found from using both:

• No part of the rack touches any part of your bike other than the tires. The Kuat NV would smash against my front brake caliper.
  • It holds the bike level (if that matters to you).
  • You can do two, three, or four bikes very easily. And swap between any of those quickly.
  • The add-ons store in a compact box when not in use.
  • There is no plastic or rubber crap on the 1upUSA to deteriorate.
  • The whole rack folds up nicely for storage when not on your vehicle.

Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the sherpa and 1-up. I prefer the 1-up hands down, I've already forgotten what the price difference was
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another rave for the 1up. I bought a vintage old Toyota FJ40. Very short wheel base and VERY bouncy ride on the rough roads out in the country where I live. Needed a rack that would hold the bike securely, without damage to the bike. I found the 1up recommended in off-roading forums as the rack preferred by Jeep enthusiasts. But it's the best rack I've ever had for any application by far. It's incredibly light. It's totally secure land, what I like most, it touches nothing but the tires. Nothing contacts the frame whatsoever. And it's as simple as it could be to load and unload. Worth every penny!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also love my 1up but there are a couple of cons that I don't ever see mentioned:

1. The mechanism to fold the rack up and down is not the best, its a long bar with tension only in the middle so it jams on me or doesn't release sometimes. Its placement isn't the greatest either. Its easy to reach with a single rack on the car, a little more difficult with 2, but I have no idea how you're supposed to reach it if you have 3 or 4 bikes loaded and need to get into the hatch of an SUV.
2. When I bought mine, they offered a free replacement if it was ever stolen. That was a big push for me because they didn't offer any solution to lock the rack to the vehicle other than a security hex bit. Now "1up USA.com LLC is no longer replacing stolen racks due to the steep increase in theft." I heard this may have come along with a change in ownership. Not necessarily a big deal, but kind of shady IMO.

Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying there's no way to lock the thing to your vehicle (say with....a locking hitch pin)?

How about the Thule?
Last edited by: nc452010: Dec 14, 15 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Are you saying there's no way to lock the thing to your vehicle (say with....a locking hitch pin)?

How about the Thule?

Thule comes with a locking hitch pin. Can't say it is super secure but is better than nothing. I have a Thule T2 with one of those. If you live in the Minneapolis area PM me as I've only used it 2x in the last 2 years (most of the time I just chuck my bike in the back of my Subaru Outback as I haven't needed to carry multiple bikes in quite some time). Otherwise, if buying new get the 1UP. Used you can find T2's or the Yakima equivalent ones on your local craigslist every now and then for more than 1/2 off retail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

How about the Thule?

They offer hitch locks for 20 bucks: https://www.1upusa.com/...t-2hitchbarlock.html

Most people don't seem to buy the extra lock and just rely on the proprietary bolt it uses, you need a special tool (provided) to get it on or off and while it's possible a savvy thief might have one on hand it's probably not all that likely. How much security you need depends on where and how you're using the rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

How about the Thule?

The rack is attached using a special hex bolt that requires a special allen wrench to remove (2 included with rack). You cannot buy this special allen wrench anywhere but 1 UP USA, so someone would have to already have a rack like yours to remove your rack. Not perfect security, but pretty good. There is a lock option too.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

Thanks.

Worth paying full price if you have to. Easy to use and not a single bit of plastic on the rack. Nothing else compares. It is a rack that can buy and still use 30 years from now.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REI has the Kuat, Saris, and Thule racks, and you can apply their regular 20% off coupons.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the replies. I have a 4 bike Saris that's a PITA to load my P2 on. I hate it.

I wish the T2 came in black. I'd get it. I like the locking features on it.

I suppose I'll get the 1 up in black and keep the Saris in case I need to take more than 1 bike (RARE). It'll also be a bit more compact than the 2 bike models.

You guys are great. I appreciate the replies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck. I JUST pulled the trigger on the black single model.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine stays on my truck 24/7 for the past 3 yrs and looks as good as the day I got it. I love this rack.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 up USA ever have a sale? [~C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to ask. How do I secure my bike to the rack (should that need ever arise)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Saris Thelma.

It's a very convenient rack. I can get my bikes on and off with one hand (useful if I'm taking a lazy-man's load of crap into the house and want to be able grab my bike and all my gear in one trip). It's also very secure considering how easy it is to get bikes on and off. Fun fact, I once inadvertently transported my road bike over 100mi on the highway with literally zero straps holding the bike onto the rack. One strap is great (if you're lazy like me and don't feel like changing out a deep section rear wheel just to put the bike on the rack, and don't have a longer strap on-hand). 2 straps is almost overkill.

It also looks cool, and folds down totally flat with ease.

Pros: easy
Cons: not as versatile as other racks (can only use bikes with 26", 27.5"/700, or 29" tires). Super wide MTB tires will not fit.

I tweet!

Quote Reply

Prev Next