Angela Naeth
http://www.angelanaeth.com
http://www.iracelikeagirl.com
Quote Reply
Re: Females - all things tri [tri3bullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri3bullet wrote:
Jelana wrote:
I think pro perspective on a lot of the post topics that come up in this forum would be helpful. I would love to know your thoughts on things women should do differently than men from a nutrition perspective, both pre and during race. What tips do you have for racing on days when your hormones are having none of it? When do we need female-specific equipment versus just using the guys' stuff in a different size? Which method works best for you for getting your hair out of the way? Thanks!

1. I don't believe there should be any difference on a nutrition perspective for men/women except the obvious - amount. The smaller you are the less you need.

2. Tips for race day when hormones go array: ... I've had this happen a few times and dealt with it the same way I would have if I didn't race. If I'm having cramps, I would start the race by taking some pain-releivers (small amount). I never had this happen during an ironman but if it did, I'd be prepared with some goodies in a small bag if needed after the bike and during the run.

3. Female-specific equipment: size of bike matters. I'm 5'5 and fit my current bike (Scott Plasma) at a size small. Going with a brand that fits you in size is key. The biggest equipment I find that is important is bike seat. I tried a ton of these and love my current one. Nothing feels more crappy than a bad bike fit/seat. And the obvious is clothing and chamois. Personally, I love the male chamois in a tri kit because I get too much chaffing down under with a narrower one of the females. For training, the chamois in my bike shorts work awesome.

4. Hair ties! :-) I use to have really short hair and bangs and hated the wild strands. A good old png tail and or braids work awesome.

i am a bit astounded by #1. women are different than men, hormones go crazy on race day, but nutrition is the same? i would like to hear other pro women on this -- ones that dont take the shot to kill periods.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Personally, I love the male chamois in a tri kit because I get too much chaffing down under with a narrower one of the females.

this might change my life. I've been trying everything. thanks for the tip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks for stopping by and helping us out.
You're amazing and so fun to watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Females - all things tri [oldiegoldie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey there, i'm just starting into my second year as a pro and am far less accomplished than Angela, but i would agree with what she says on nutrition. At least during a race, i stick to my nutrition plan regardless of the time of the month- i always take an extra serving of shot bloks in case i need them, as the only difference i have really found is that i need a more constant supply of sugar to feel good (not necessarily more overall, just timed differently). i know there was a great article in LAVA magazine a few months ago on nutrition for women, which looked at changes you can make to your diet depending on what phase of the cycle you are in, but still, during a race. i wouldn't really change anything- it is also proven that women do not need as many calories as men nor can we process the same amount of carbohydrates as they do (assuming that on average we are smaller) during a race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next