Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
307trout wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
I'm NEVER going back to the indoor range again for rifle. Some jack weed was blasting his Remington 700 with a muzzle brake next to me and wear in ear suqishys + very high quality ear muffs. Every shot the entire range looks over with a collective 'ass hole!'.

Yeah, sorry bout that... My m70 300 wsm with brake is a loud one but it shoots like a dream.

Firing those setups indoors is not fun to be around

I've never been to an indoor range but I have no doubt it would be miserable. Can't really imagine firing such a rifle indoors anyway. No indoor ranges with 100 miles that will allow such a gun so I likely won't have to worry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Why the hell would you need a brake on some wimpy ass caliber like 300wsm?

I'm delicate.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't have to know. You take the thing off and put it away. Put the thread cap back on. It's not like a suppressor has a time stamp on it.

Fortunately florida and arizona's laws are pretty good even if you leave it on. Castle doctines pretty much shield you from civil penalties unless there is a narrowly defined exception. Like shooting somebody who was a guest, shooting somebody who walked in your unlocked door by accident. Or shooting a cop. All of these are also criminal penalties. So if a shooting in defense of ones home doesn't result in arrest or prosecution, it sends a strong signal to ambulance chasers that it would be a waste of time.

Also, I have heard this a lot. That having items beyond common calibers are a bad thing in criminal and civil trials. I've been guilty of this to. So far, I have yet to see it play out that way. It is either legal or it isn't. If you are arrested you usually have more important things to worry about then the type of ammo you use or modifications to your gun. Yes , using a standard 9mm is probably the least hassle. But there are few juries sympathetic to burglars shot in one's home. And castle doctrine laws pretty much reinforce such. In florida, some guy created a death zone to catch vandals who were regularly stealing from his home. This amounted to execution in the media, yet he was found not guilty. Where you could run into trouble is shooting to many shots or a shooting that looks like an execution. This is why I would argue against using a .22 for self defense. It would take a lot of center mass shots to kill/stop an immediate threat with a .22. Juries, see bullets as bullets. Trust me, I know this personally. I would much rather be on trial shooting somebody three times in the body with a high caliber bullet than 20 times with a .22. And I wouldn't advise you stop them then finish them. This was an odd thing I was taught in a shot gun class. This guy recommended a lighter buck shot or even bird shot to stun an intruder, followed by 00 buck in the magazine followed by a slug. This would look like a premeditated murder. Needless to say I didn't recommend that instructor.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Dec 11, 15 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gotsand wrote:
From a self-defense/home-defense perspective, I want loud-ass muzzle blasts. Intimidation - want to leave no doubt as to the magnitude of the response.

You're joking, right?

No, brother. I'm all about the sound. The sound of the pump on the Model 870 Remington. The sound of the pump is one of nature's universal warnings sounds. Like the rattle on a Diamonbback, or the the growl of a grizzly It's You can take your adorable little cutside gun-guy doo-dads. I get it. It's fun to buy "tactical" stuff and play Counterstrike. . I'm going with a very unsilenced Model 870.

I will never understand this line of thinking. If I'm in a situation where I need to be pointing my shotgun at someone, you are not getting a warning to alert you of anything.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
307trout wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
I'm NEVER going back to the indoor range again for rifle. Some jack weed was blasting his Remington 700 with a muzzle brake next to me and wear in ear suqishys + very high quality ear muffs. Every shot the entire range looks over with a collective 'ass hole!'.

Yeah, sorry bout that... My m70 300 wsm with brake is a loud one but it shoots like a dream.

Firing those setups indoors is not fun to be around

I've never been to an indoor range but I have no doubt it would be miserable. Can't really imagine firing such a rifle indoors anyway. No indoor ranges with 100 miles that will allow such a gun so I likely won't have to worry about it.

Place is fairly unique for FL not sure about the northern folks maybe these football field indoor ranges are more common. You can drop the hammer in this place all the way up to an 82A1.

http://www.shootersworld.com/...nge/rifle-range.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A warning is one thing. Worrying about your gun not being noisy enough to scare the bad guy when you actually start shooting at him is pretty dumb, though.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

No you don't. Not to attack you personally but it's amazing how ignorant people are on this subject.

Shaking my head. Post 24, man. Situational awareness. LOL. Oooh, talk more military jargon, man. In home defense my Model 870 is creating "the situation".

Also, unfortunately, from a legal situation, it's probably usually better to have shot-or-killed someone with a gun that doesn't have a suppressor. It could create a lot of dumb questions during the investigation into the death afterwards. The lawyer of the victim will make a big deal about why you had a Class 3 device, and were playing Special Ops guy.

I'm genuinely not worried about being criminally prosecuted for shooting and killing an intruder. With regards to civil action, I'm more concerned with surviving a home invasion and defending my family than dealing with a scum-bucket lawyer.

The situational awareness thing is real. I probably spent 200 hours between Triple Canopy and CQD. One of the simulations we ran repeatedly on one trip was a home defense scenario where there were an unknown number of assailants (2-6). We alternated between wearing no hearing protection and wearing remotely triggered electronic hearing protection. In the latter case, after we fired our first shot the hearing protection was triggered and you couldn't hear shit. Guess how much worse our success rate was when we couldn't hear?

As an aside, simmunition hurts like a mother. It also doesn't cycle too reliably :p

Frankly, the suppressor laws we have in this country are nuts... and that's coming from a person who generally supports a bit more gun regulation.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You did some stuff with triple canopy. I applied for a position with them as an accountant early on. Got an interview despite not being a veteran, but it didn't go beyond there because a higher up overruled the exception.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A guy I shot with once told me if hearing is that big of a concern, use the electronic ear muff. He was a retired special forces guy with bad hearing. Said the suppressor probably wouldn't help him in his case, instead the muffs had two benefits. One it would filter the sound, but it would also enhance the sounds you would want to hear. He had a point.

Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once you buy a suppressor, you will wonder why it took you so long.
Make sure you get one for a .22 because it's the most performance for the cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's true and they are very effective but not practical for a home defense scenario. The sooner you have your gun up and at the ready the better.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [dkv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only .22 pistol I have is a mk iii. So he only cans I see for those are integrated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have 22 bolt action rifle?
A threaded 22 pistol and rifle, in the grand scheme of things, isn't extravagant.
You know I'm right, and you know you will be happy if you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 10/22 and have considered buying a takedown. But I also have an old mossy bolt action pre serial number. But that isn't suppresor compatible. I've been told once you get one they become an addiction. I'm fairly certain I'll get a .308 can next. My sig 556 is already qd suppresor ready. I might even she my lmt since it has the quick detach barrel. Now that I think of it, one of my fn fals has a qd ready barrel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get the rifles threaded. You will not regret it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

One of the simulations we ran repeatedly on one trip was a home defense scenario where there were an unknown number of assailants (2-6). We alternated between wearing no hearing protection and wearing remotely triggered electronic hearing protection

Hearing protection is way different than a suppressor. But, in any case, you should probably be then recommending that all HD kits have a pair of high-end electronic range 'muffs. Takes 2-3 seconds to put on. That way you get the benefit of hearing protection without affording the bad guys the benefit of noise protection you'd be giving them with a suppressor. Damage their situational awareness without damaging your own. Tactical win-win.

Cheaper. Legal-er. Doesn't impair your ability to get the weapon ready. More effective at sound protection (cuts the sonic crack that suppressors don't). Still get to scare the bejesus out of the bad guys, possibly, with your muzzle blast.

Just not as cool.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 11, 15 17:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkv wrote:

Are you joking? Why on earth would you suppress a .22? You gonna go all Bourne on that nuisance gopher who's been tormenting you?
Last edited by: trail: Dec 11, 15 17:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

One of the simulations we ran repeatedly on one trip was a home defense scenario where there were an unknown number of assailants (2-6). We alternated between wearing no hearing protection and wearing remotely triggered electronic hearing protection

Hearing protection is way different than a suppressor. But, in any case, you should probably be then recommending that all HD kits have a pair of high-end electronic range 'muffs. Takes 2-3 seconds to put on. That way you get the benefit of hearing protection without affording the bad guys the benefit of noise protection you'd be giving them with a suppressor. Damage their situational awareness without damaging your own. Tactical win-win.

Cheaper. Legal-er. Doesn't impair your ability to get the weapon ready. More effective at sound protection (cuts the sonic crack that suppressors don't). Still get to scare the bejesus out of the bad guys, possibly, with your muzzle blast.

Just not as cool.

Doing that simulation as many times as I did, I would never take the time to put on hearing pro. It was enough of a struggle to get out of bed, grab a weapon, and assume a defensive position. We weren't simulating plenty of warning. We were simulating, in some circumstances, having assailants at the bedroom door before we had any warning. More commonly we had 5-8 seconds if I had to estimate (this was about five years ago).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dkv wrote:

Are you joking? Why on earth would you suppress a .22? You gonna go all Bourne on that nuisance gopher who's been tormenting you?

Because it is fun.
Because I can shoot 22 all day without hearing protection; suppressed centerfire is loud enough that a person should still wear some form of hearing protection.
Have you shot suppressed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkv wrote:
trail wrote:
dkv wrote:

Because it is fun.
Because I can shoot 22 all day without hearing protection; suppressed centerfire is loud enough that a person should still wear some form of hearing protection.
Have you shot suppressed?

What kind of 22 do you have? I had a Sig TrailSide I sold about 5 years ago wish I hadn't that thing was so much fun to shoot and so cheap. Once it was discontinued it took on collector status and hard not to sell at that price when I wasn't shooting it much.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
What kind of 22 do you have? I had a Sig TrailSide I sold about 5 years ago wish I hadn't that thing was so much fun to shoot and so cheap. Once it was discontinued it took on collector status and hard not to sell at that price when I wasn't shooting it much.

Browning Buckmark. They make a factory threaded version, and TacSol makes after-market threaded barrels.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
were you at special forces?
did you get a trust set up?
a buddy and i had them draw up the paperwork last week for $100. super easy.

I'd question the aptitude of someone (a lawyer?) who claims to be able to draft a gun trust for only $100.
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a pretty simple document. For an attorney to put his license at risk to issue such documents must mean it is low risk. What do you think most attorneys do standard form,
Just like most accountants do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
No. The only reason I didn't get one going is the desire for a trust.

For those who don't know, like me, what are you talking about with a trust?
Quote Reply
Re: It is finally time to buy a suppresor [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Owning class 3 firearms is a little more difficult. Transferring them to family members after death is a pain in the ass. A trust allows you to:

1. Avoid fingerprinting and law enforcement approval at purchase. As it is an entity that owns the. Companies can serve the same purpose if you own one

2. When you die anybody listed on the trust can legally take possession.

Quote Reply

Prev Next