Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [Power2maxNA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I just ordered a hollowgram unit with praxis rings.

Looking forward to it on my xmas bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I recently purchased a power2max with FSA Gossamer cranks on Black Friday. However I am looking at changing the crank arm to a Rotor 3D. The reason being I have 2 bikes, one a Trek with Hollowtech bottom bracket, the other a Pinarello running a campagnolo groupset with Most Croxover bottom bracket that i think is an Italian thread. Would i be better off with the Rotor crank arm?? As I have been researching on the internet and they seem to be more compatible with different bottom bracket standards? I am just thinking this may be a more future proof option!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [TomHunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomHunt wrote:
Hi there,

I recently purchased a power2max with FSA Gossamer cranks on Black Friday. However I am looking at changing the crank arm to a Rotor 3D. The reason being I have 2 bikes, one a Trek with Hollowtech bottom bracket, the other a Pinarello running a campagnolo groupset with Most Croxover bottom bracket that i think is an Italian thread. Would i be better off with the Rotor crank arm?? As I have been researching on the internet and they seem to be more compatible with different bottom bracket standards? I am just thinking this may be a more future proof option!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom,

I've just decided to go with the Rotor 3D over the Gossamer for the following reasons.

1. I feel the Shimano bottom brackets are more durable and easier to source for more bikes.

2. The Rotor 3ds are more highly valued for resale.

3. In the long run I've never regretted going with a better quality item that I used regularly while I have regretted going with a less quality
item many times.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Nov 30, 15 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Hugh, thanks for the insight.

I suppose that justifies why the Rotor would be the better long term option, for an extra £100 or so I'm getting a system that is much easier to swap between bikes.

Have emailed their support about this, just waiting to hear back as I've already sent the money via Transferwise bank transfer...

Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Prospero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm understanding correctly it sounds like you just need to tighten the lock ring...I'm sorry to say that it's not an entirely pain free process since you'll need to remove the c-clip and bearing in order to access the lock ring itself. Once you do that, tighten the lock ring, and then re-install the c-clip and bearing. Just make sure you use Loctite when you install the lock ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks. I ordered the Park bearing puller for this. It looks pretty involved but I will give it a go. Now please explain to me how in the world you install the bearing retainer clip. Once you put the crankset in there is no way to insert the clip. I tried putting the clip on the BB housing loose and then mounting the crank and sliding the clip into place but that appears impossible. Please help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last couple of days I've been having some dropouts (or rather, power dropping to zero) on my Rotor 3D+ Power2max (Classic version). It started Saturday, thought it was the battery and/or the fact that I was riding with my whole team, so we were bascially 10+ guys in a group all with ANT+ powermeters. Changed the battery to a brand new one Saturday night and didn't experience dropouts on Sunday. Today, however, the head unit (Garmin Edge 520) said powermeter battery was low and the power dropped to zero several times for perhaps 5-10 seconds during my one hour commute back from work. In the status screen about the powermeter the battery status is listed as 'New' (and so was the old battery I had, FWIW).

Have you seen this before and might have input on what might be wrong? I've been using it for a couple of years but can't remember having this issue before. I'm in Denmark (Europe), so not a direct customer of yours, but I thought you might have some input.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought is what model do you have? If you have a Classic and are using anything other than a Renata battery that would probably be the culprit. On that generation of power meter you have to use Renata because they're just a bit thicker. If you try to use something else the battery occasionally loses contact with the other electronics causing it to drop out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply.

It is a Renata battery :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the dust has settled from the Black Friday Sale we're going to work on some videos that should help with the process but for now you just have to finesse it. I've installed it before and there really wasn't anything different that I had to do. Anyone else have advice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isnt the battery model number simply a reference to the size ?
Eg 2450 is 24mm dia and 5mm thick

Are there unofficial differences between brands ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Renata is a CR2450N and it just happens to be a little thicker...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
somebody should measure the battery with a calipers,
when I get mine I'll do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
I had a look at the bike's specs and all it really says is that it has a Shimano Press Fit...which I will assume means BB86 with a Hollowtech crank. First, if it really is a BB86 than you have a lot of choices but yes, the Type S Gossamer will work just fine with that bike provided you get a MegaExo BB for BB86. I've mentioned it before but just as a reminder...officially the Gossamer is not compatible with Shimano bottom brackets. Having said that we know that, with a little more force, you can make it work. The downside is that, when you go to remove the crank, the BB tends to self destruct. So all thing being equal I tend to recommend getting a new BB...as it stands the FSA MegaExo BB's are usually only around $40 or so, so it's not a huge expense.

Does this go for BB30 as well? Just read this after having issues installing my Type S Gossamer on my BB30 frame. It ended up pushing my bearings out as I pushed the crank in. Had quite a time getting the bearings back in with the driveside bearing already on the axle of the crank.. All seems well now, but I rue the day I have to replace the bearings as I'm sure getting them off the axle is going to be hellacious.

Is an FSA stainless steel BB30 a better solution in the future?

Thanks.

ETA that my Type S is a 386evo.
Last edited by: rubik: Nov 30, 15 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicholas,

I was able to tighten the spider on my Campy S Power2Max using the Park bearing puller and a pipe wrench. I had to disassemble the bearing puller and remove teh protective rear cover on the power meter to fit the puller on, but the bearing did come off easily. I tightened it with loctite and should be good to good. You are correct, this is a pretty involved, but within the realm of a home mechanic.

NOW for my BIG question. Please tell me how to install the bearing retainer clip - I can't see any way to do it given the thickness of the power meter. PLEASE ADVISE.

Thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a campy p2m on my cervelo, you just have to start one end in small hole, and use a small screwdriver or paint can opener with a hook to stretch the spring clip while guiding it into the second small hole.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok. I'll try that again. not easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind - figured it out
Last edited by: cmeeks: Dec 4, 15 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking to get a power meter for a 2015 Scott Addict. On the P2M website it says to check to make sure the Rotor 3D will fit. Do you know which cranks are compatible with the Addict?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick Question:
I have a BB86 GXP 170 rotor 3d crank with a P2M
I'm getting a new bike with a 167.5 rotor flow crank BBright
Can I use the spider in the rotor 3d crank and re-use it in the flow crank?
In case yes, does the lenght difference might generate any inconsistency in the power measure?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [mariant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, they are not the same size

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [mariant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, our computers are being total asses right now...First off I'm guessing it's not a GXP. The 3D doesn't use that standard, it has a 24mm axle the same as Shimano. Having said that the 3D+/3D30/3DF all have a 30mm axle so you won't be able to use one on the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [ibetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike appears to have a BB86. Did yours come with a Shimano crank? If so the Rotor 3D will work just fine...Realistically you'll be able to use any of our power meters with that bike provided you get the corresponding BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Just had a question about proper installation (I've e-mailed customer support but figured I'd post here while I'm waiting for an "official response" to see if anyone else can chime in or has had the same issue and can provide any input - below is paraphrased from my e-mails to support).

I just received my FSA Gossamer PM and installed it onto my 2013 Cervelo P2. When removing my the gossamer crank that came stock on my bike, there were no spacers or washers so, even though the PM shipped with a wavy washer, I left it off initially. Leaving it off, there was some lateral play so I decided to install the wavy washer on the non-drive side (per FSA's site). Tightening the crank that way removed all lateral play, but resulted in the inside facing bolts on the small chain ring to come into contact with the drive side chainstay, preventing the cranks from turning.

I then decided to swap the wavy washer onto the drive side and this gave enough clearance for the cranks to spin albeit barely (probably have the width of the washer as clearance - maybe the thickness of a quarter). This didn't sit right with me since I was a bit concerned that if the frame were to flex under load at all, I might shear off portions of the chainstay, so I decided to take it into my shop the next day.

Brought it to my mechanic and he did a lengthy troubleshoot and confirmed that the wavy washer should go on the non drive side, but also indicated that its moreso a "preference" and shouldn't result in any perceptible difference in performance. He removed and reinstalled the crank and confirmed that there would be a clearance issue if the washer was installed as recommended, but didn't recommend using a spacer for clearance as he preferred to only use spacers to cure compatibility issues (i.e. tightening the cranks to spec left space that resulted in lateral play) and not to adjust the Q angle.

He did say that the area in question is not usually an area that would be prone to flex, but stopped short of giving me the "all clear" to ride and climb all out. So he reinstalled the crankset with the washer on the drive side, torqued to spec, and recommended I reach out to P2M. Oddly enough, I've spoken with a couple of people that have the old P2 and they were able to install without issue, everything I've read online never said anything about compatibility issues, and I was told way back when I was debating pulling the trigger on a P2M last black friday that this was the model I needed and it would essentially be "plug and play."

So, I'm left with a few questions:

1) Is this an issue that you've come across in the past? If so, any solution?
2) If a spacer is recommended, is there any negative effect on power reading (I'm thinking no since the strain gauge is on the spider), or from a practical standpoint (i.e. having the centerline of the crank being different from the centerline of the frame)?
3) Will I have clearance issues if the frame flexes under load?

I'll probably post a new thread in the main forum to address the last question separately - since it is more general.

Hopefully, I can get this taken care of and take advantage of the unseasonably good weather we're getting late in the year here!

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicolas,

I'm having some difficulties communicating with your support team so I thought I'd try here. I ordered a Type S Gossamer power meter on Nov 30th. The product seems to have shipped to a warehouse in Seattle where it was stayed since the 2nd of December. I've emailed P2M support and after an initial response nobody is responding to my inquiries with a reason for this. Your websites 3-7 days shipping estimate is going to start looking like 2-3 weeks which is fairly disappointing. Is anyone else experiencing these delays? If it doesn't ship soon I'm going to have a scheduling conflict due to holiday travel and will have a much bigger problem.

Please help.
Quote Reply

Prev Next