Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I use an elliptical?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge is discrimination against those of us who can't run. 😜

Guess I'll have to do the 100 /100 post-knee replacement walking challenge.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to have a go at it this year again but this time with a newborn of only a few days in the household. This should be a good challenge!

Dev, thanks for organising this every year. This challenge did miracles to my run training last year and I am sure helped immensely to complete my first I'M marathon on minimal run training volume.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#WalkersLivesMatter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
This challenge is discrimination against those of us who can't run. 😜

Guess I'll have to do the 100 /100 post-knee replacement walking challenge.

My grievance related to this is I cannot even walk. On crutches from nerve problems from a 2011 accident that got bad over a long bout of back and forth 4 week of biz travel to Europe and West coast every week. Just hoping to work up to a walk, but once I can walk, I will be able to run. In the mean time, I am swimming, riding the trainer and I can even do the IM Cowboy approved elliptical, none of which count.

Best of luck with your re hab. It sounds painful.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
But seriously... I'm going to give it a go. Trying to recruit a few other suckers, err friends.

I've been working on a few guys I regularly run with, unfortunately they're all training for Boston or the LA marathon so they're gearing up on their own programs right now.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I really enjoyed the challenge last year, even with having to hit 30 minutes per day. I remember a few days where I was really counting the seconds to hit the 30 minute mark and think that having the option to cut a few minutes off may be beneficial from an injury reduction perspective. For me personally I don't think that I would cut it to 15 minutes though and would have to do at least 20 minutes for the run to be worth putting my shoes on.

The fact that someone can make up the time the next day doesn't "wussify" it too much, unless if someone were to make it a habit and cut every other run short to end up running 15-45-15-45-15-45-etc. I think that a good stipulation for this new rule change may be that they may only do it once per week to truly allow a rest day when needed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the lesser of 30 minutes or 3 miles. A short run of 3 miles makes for a 30 mile week in Phase 1 of Barry P's plan.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
dbikelink wrote:
I really enjoyed the challenge last year, even with having to hit 30 minutes per day. I remember a few days where I was really counting the seconds to hit the 30 minute mark and think that having the option to cut a few minutes off may be beneficial from an injury reduction perspective. For me personally I don't think that I would cut it to 15 minutes though and would have to do at least 20 minutes for the run to be worth putting my shoes on.

The fact that someone can make up the time the next day doesn't "wussify" it too much, unless if someone were to make it a habit and cut every other run short to end up running 15-45-15-45-15-45-etc. I think that a good stipulation for this new rule change may be that they may only do it once per week to truly allow a rest day when needed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...the lesser of 30 minutes or 3 miles. A short run of 3 miles makes for a 30 mile week in Phase 1 of Barry P's plan.

The great thing about the 100/100 is it promotes frequency
Any "rule" changes that promote other "best practices" should be encouraged.

Maybe walking after 3 miles to make up 30min should be allowed. So maybe it's 30min with at least 15min of running.
Maybe 1hr runs could be counted as 2x30 to allow 1 day off per week and do a long run. After all 1hr is harder than 30min+1hr off+30min.

I am for rules changes that don't make it easier but do lead to more "best practices" like those promoted by a BarryP structure.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
dbikelink wrote:

Just run at 10 min miles and you are golden. No need for a rule change to satisfy faster runners. No one ever lost out by taking a few runs slower unless that run was on race day. Sorry, no change on that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've put on about 20 lbs since IM CDA, my knees hurt so bad I haven't run in months, my upper back/neck is in constant pain and my right arm/hand/fingers get numb and tingly! Sitting on my ass watching TV only makes me think about the above pains, so I'm going to do this challenge to really give myself something to complain about! See you in 20 lbs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this Dev. I'm getting arthroscopic surgery on 12/22 on the knee that has stopped me from running for 2 years. I'm not sure I'll ever run again but I'm hoping I can at least walk more than 15 minutes without being pain.

I hope you heal up quickly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) I'm fat
2) I'm out of shape
3) My Achilles are sore
4) I'm too stupid to know when to take a day off
I'm in with a goal of 70/100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed the challenge the past two years and was not going to participate this year. I hit 100 last year while logging a decent amount of time on the trainer. But I really need to focus on swimming. I've put that off long enough and while I move toward the fop for run and bike, its tough to catch up starting so far back in t1.
I think I'll just log the runs I do to keep track and hopefully get to 60 or 70 this year. No pressure here.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, when are we starting? I'm trying to recruit some others.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [ABrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABrunner wrote:
1) I'm fat
2) I'm out of shape
3) My Achilles are sore

Sign me up for 1, 2 and first stanza of 4! Annual BOP'er here that strives to be in the top 50% of the points matrix over on the stat sheet. Told my wife that the 100/100 starts next week and she rolled her eyes.....so I must be doing something right. Always enjoy the challenge and maintain that if we change the rules, then ISIS wins! (Still waiting by mailbox for last year's Participation Ribbon....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently on day 480 of a running streak so will definitely try and keep it alive by joining for the full 100/100
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trihumor wrote:
ABrunner wrote:
1) I'm fat
2) I'm out of shape
3) My Achilles are sore

Sign me up for 1, 2 and first stanza of 4! Annual BOP'er here that strives to be in the top 50% of the points matrix over on the stat sheet. Told my wife that the 100/100 starts next week and she rolled her eyes.....so I must be doing something right. Always enjoy the challenge and maintain that if we change the rules, then ISIS wins! (Still waiting by mailbox for last year's Participation Ribbon....)

I'm going to go for 100.

@Trihumor: Rookie. I always tell my wife on 12/15 to get the maximum amount of reaction. :)

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took last year off, but back in for this year...really keeps you from getting fat in the winter. I am going for about 80-90 runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Dev, really hope you get well soon. This Challenge is an anniversary of sorts for me, sinceit gave me the impetus to come out of lurking and post.
Not going to log anything this year, but I'll do what I can to reach something like 60-70/100, hopefully, and barring any injuries etc.
Keep the torch burning to light the road for us newbies and those who've lost their tri way!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gamebofh wrote:
Trihumor wrote:
ABrunner wrote:
1) I'm fat
2) I'm out of shape
3) My Achilles are sore

I'm going to go for 100.

@Trihumor: Rookie. I always tell my wife on 12/15 to get the maximum amount of reaction. :)

-Jot

What's this about changing the rules and ISIS winning? That's a serious stand against staying hard and non wussification!!! As for the participation ribbon, well, your goodies are proportional to what you paid, so for free, I got you this off google image search. This is about all the budget for this enterprise can offer.

if you sign up for a Messick event, at least you will get a proper finisher medal and you can buy this:

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....LOL......thx for the ribbon. I shall wear it like the total badge of honor it represents and dodge the stares from the soccer moms on the treadmill next to me. Perhaps it shall be the source of my Dec-Mar mojo to eclipse previous challenge run counts. Heal quickly lest the spirit of Chris G get in your head to HTFU.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [Trihumor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trihumor wrote:
....LOL......thx for the ribbon. I shall wear it like the total badge of honor it represents and dodge the stares from the soccer moms on the treadmill next to me. Perhaps it shall be the source of my Dec-Mar mojo to eclipse previous challenge run counts. Heal quickly lest the spirit of Chris G get in your head to HTFU.

Mrs Chris G was already beating up on me this weekend to get better (LOL), so she's making sure that he's already in my head!

Now I guess we need some graphics talented folks to make some 100/100 achievement ribbons to hand out. Who wants to step up and take a crack so we can come up with something better than what I can scrounge off a 30 second google search?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Now I guess we need some graphics talented folks to make some 100/100 achievement ribbons to hand out. Who wants to step up and take a crack so we can come up with something better than what I can scrounge off a 30 second google search?

Y'al have seen the custom bibs that I do for my Screaming Tortise events ...

I can do the "medals"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fact, one of the precepts of the Screaming Tortise Athletic Club is: "We're somewhere between 'Participant medals for everyone' and 'Don't tell Mom there was alcohol'"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) originally posted 2014 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
In fact, one of the precepts of the Screaming Tortise Athletic Club is: "We're somewhere between 'Participant medals for everyone' and 'Don't tell Mom there was alcohol'"

OK post your artwork on here by tomorrow so that people can air their grievances in time. After that, no complaining!!!

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next