Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One last grievance -- the first day of the challenge (today) is the day after my marathon. I did manage to technically get my BQ, but beating my BQ time by only 13 seconds ain't gonna cut it for actually running Boston, which I was hoping to do. Next time.

Oh well, not that I was going for 100 anyway, but still, I'll definitely be starting from the bottom of the list this year.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So much bragplaining in this thread

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there should be a premium for those living above the 48th parallel. I am thinking +15-20% for anything outdoors during the 100-day challenge. Perhaps you can build this into the model for the 2016 challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1) [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
I think there should be a premium for those living above the 48th parallel. I am thinking +15-20% for anything outdoors during the 100-day challenge. Perhaps you can build this into the model for the 2016 challenge.

Then all the guys in Paris, Manchester, London, Dublin, Berlin, Copenhagen, Hamburg etc etc get a bonus as they are all at or well above 48 and they don't have any snow on the ground, meanwhile the guys suffering it out in the bitter cold of Kabul, Kashghar, Almaty, Beijing, Lhasa, Pyongyang or even here in Ottawa (45N) get nothing. What about the guys running in the heat and humidity of Singapore or Jakarta at or just below the equator. I think that is much harder than running in cold temps. Just put your treadmill in a sauna and you got your typical run at the equator in South Asia and they have that every day, all year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:( ...... but its so cold here!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bumping for 2015. Sorry, a day late. Just been busy and pre occupied with other things in life.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the challenge last year, even with having to hit 30 minutes per day. I remember a few days where I was really counting the seconds to hit the 30 minute mark and think that having the option to cut a few minutes off may be beneficial from an injury reduction perspective. For me personally I don't think that I would cut it to 15 minutes though and would have to do at least 20 minutes for the run to be worth putting my shoes on.

The fact that someone can make up the time the next day doesn't "wussify" it too much, unless if someone were to make it a habit and cut every other run short to end up running 15-45-15-45-15-45-etc. I think that a good stipulation for this new rule change may be that they may only do it once per week to truly allow a rest day when needed.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [dbikelink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbikelink wrote:
I really enjoyed the challenge last year, even with having to hit 30 minutes per day. I remember a few days where I was really counting the seconds to hit the 30 minute mark and think that having the option to cut a few minutes off may be beneficial from an injury reduction perspective. For me personally I don't think that I would cut it to 15 minutes though and would have to do at least 20 minutes for the run to be worth putting my shoes on.

The fact that someone can make up the time the next day doesn't "wussify" it too much, unless if someone were to make it a habit and cut every other run short to end up running 15-45-15-45-15-45-etc. I think that a good stipulation for this new rule change may be that they may only do it once per week to truly allow a rest day when needed.

If people were OK with that and only use it 1x per week that might be a good option. Let's see what people say. In any case, it is highly unlikely I can run any time soon/this winter due to some nerve damage from 2011 accident that seems to have badly flared up in Nov, 6 weeks after my season ended. Right now can't walk and just getting around on crutches so I'll just have fun watching you guys run like maniacs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planning to do this again this year. Did it a couple years ago and hit 100. Really enjoyed the challenge and it definitely pushed me over the Winter. Knowing that at some point during the day I would run 30 minutes was fantastic. I missed a few days (7 or 8 or something), but just made up with doubles. Oh.... and working from home makes this all MUCH easier. ;-)

15 minute runs? It takes me 15 minutes to get out the door most days. (Type 1 Diabetes makes this MUCH more difficult)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev.

I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I hope you mend quickly.

I look forward to the 100 Day Run Challenge every year and it's great to allow folks to tweak it as needed to fit their current situation. Newbies and lower intermediate might benefit the most from the challenge by reducing or altering the commitment to almost anything....even walk/run for 30min. That can set someone up to make a permanent change in their run form.

I'm down to just one question: when do we start?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I retroactively apply runs? I've been running (due to exams looming) instead of swim/biking. I'm on a 14 day streak so far. woo.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear your past injuries are haunting you still Dev. fortunately, for me, I'm in a different boat this year. Finally healthy and ready to hit the 100/100 running so to speak.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got injured last year trying this. Can the challenge be doing any walking for 100 straight days?? /pink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread sure has been quiet! No more grievances!? Everybody just ready to run?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a running focus since my last tri in September. Today was my 56th straight day, and I've been averaging around 60 mpw for the past two months. I was within one minute of my half marathon PR two weeks ago, and I'm hoping for a 5k PR in two weeks. I'm thinking that 120 straight is my goal, as around that time I'll need to be spending more time swimming and biking to get ready for an April HIM.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What date does it kick off this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again after skipping last year. Got in 100+ two years ago and it really helped with motivation during the early Boston build (picked up a new PR!). Running LA in Feb this year, but Pfitz plan has me running every day + doubles anyway, so why not play along again? Also running Boston, so this should also help with getting back on track after LA.

Not necessarily a fan of the whole making it up the next day thing, but whatever gets more people out the door everyday is good. If I were to vote, I'd say just keep it at 30 minutes.

Thanks for getting this started again Dev.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dec 15th- ish...?? I think.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:
This thread sure has been quiet! No more grievances!? Everybody just ready to run?

Sorry, for not adding more grievances! You guys need to step it up and get it out of your system.

I am leaning towards either a make up day option where we lower the minimum at least 1x per week, or even reduce the min across the board, but I like the first option better as it is "less wussification" of the challenge. It's almost like WTC saying, "fine, you don't have to do the entire 2.4 miles swim, just swim 1 mile today bike 112 and run 26.2 and we'll call you an Ironman....but on honor system, please go out for a 1.4 mile swim on Monday"....that's at less wussification than an outright cancellation of the entire swim :-)

We start on 15 Dec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriWithT1 wrote:

Why bother. Nothing ever changes. I'll stick to doing the running that makes the most sense for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going for it this year after missing last year. And the year before. And the year before...

The closest thing I have to a grievance: I'm too lazy to read through 7 pages of last year's BS. We should have a new thread for 2015-16.

And thanks for organizing! -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

it is "less wussification" of the challenge.

Wussification is wussification

If you can only do 15min, do 15min, don't count it and be happy with 85 runs rather than 100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can we also include the new "Iron Cowboy Rule" and substitute an elliptical session for a run 1/3rd of the way through? And then still brag if we complete the full challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Run Challenge Airing of the Grievances Thread (Dec 1 (originally posted 2014) [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Can we also include the new "Iron Cowboy Rule" and substitute an elliptical session for a run 1/3rd of the way through? And then still brag if we complete the full challenge?

Best post in 2 years on this thread. I think when WTC allows ellipticals at IM's (just hop on a bunch of IM branded ellipticals 10 feet outside T2, shuffle around on them for as long as your last IM run split and then walk over the finish line for your medal), then this challenge will have to go full wussified. For now, I am standing by to follow Messick's lead on if he will let that substitution fly in Mdot events and then we go from there....is that a fair deal? To be fair Messick allows walking in his events. We don't allow walking around here. 100/100 running rules are the inverse of race walking (both feet must be off the ground simultaneous for a moment in every stride and make forward motion....so no 30 min of jumping jacks don't count either since there is no forward motion)!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But seriously... I'm going to give it a go. Trying to recruit a few other suckers, err friends.
Quote Reply

Prev Next