Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week:
bike at least twice done! three times!
swim 4x done!
day off from running done! two, actually!
keep working on varying the run speed and distance still working on this, but getting better

I had a super good Thanksgiving break. I read a couple of books, napped, did some work, rode my bike... very relaxing. As good as it could have been being on the other side of the country as my family, and I fly home on Dec. 10 so that is coming up. I also didn't have too much anxiety about unstructured time over break, and I didn't have any eating issues. All in all very good.

I really enjoyed cycling this past week.

s: 4x = 8900 yds
b: 3x = 67 mi
r: 5x = 45.7 mi

Goals for this week: at least 1 day off from running, swim 5x for at least 10k yards, bike 3x

Hope all the womens are well.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I survived Thanksgiving!
I was able to swim 1x, strength/core train 2x, and get on the bike 5x. Plus I did one 3mi walk.
I saw my miracle massage guy on wed., and another improvement was seen on my right hamstring.
CX 'fun' casual race on Sat. and had a blast. Plus everyone loved our group costume !

I made THE BEST mashed potatoes.
First, I boiled up some redskin potatoes until they were fall apart tender.
Drained, put in the mixer (no, I don't bother to peel them, too much trouble) the potatoes and the following:
Then I threw in some Fage greek yogurt
a wee tiny sliver of butter
and a whole head of roasted garlic (I had roasted it earlier in the day, very easy to do - look it up online, used the toaster oven to do it because it has a shut off timer)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Husband even liked them! And he's super picky when I try to feed him healthy stuff. I didn't tell them they were healthy. That was key.

I had also made a yummy quinoa and steel cut oats breakfast casserole that was filled with fruit, and he ate it once, said "this doesn't have any sugar in it", and won't touch it. I said no, it's all sweetened with fruit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things are going alright. Survived a week of interview/job applications that had me beat.

Tried Zwift on the weekend. It was really fun; I'll probably get a subscription. Kept me entertained & I rode longer/harder than I would on my own. The kid entertained himself and the dog managed to lick my sweaty legs without hurting herself or causing me to stop pedaling. Feeling like my goal of doing a tri or two next year might actually be realistic.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
(no, I don't bother to peel them, too much trouble)

The skins have a bunch of nutrients anyway so it's good to leave them on!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing well. It was really nice to have a week away after my course but boy am I glad to be home! Got in a few runs on the seawall, one bike ride around Stanley Park (on a cruiser borrowed from the hotel; it really made me miss my road bike), one aborted swim at the hotel and lots of wandering around and walking to restaurants :-) We think my mussel allergy has now spread to scallops :-(

This week the aims are: 15 miles of running, FTP test + week 1 of Trainerroad Sweet Spot Base, Guppy Week 1 (4000-5400m depending on how many times I get to the pool). I'm being more specific about my goals because I found last season that I was getting out there but cheating myself on the actual workout specifics so trying to get into good habits right at the beginning.

We have two Christmas parties as well this weekend; I'm not in the Christmas mood AT ALL so not really looking forward to them.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When do you hear back? Fingers crossed for you.

Also, yay for liking Zwift! Do you have any tris in mind?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It's all just internal postings, so no change of work location, just something different. Not even sure f I want any of them, but I really needed the applying/interviewing practice - it's been a while.

Coronation for sure, I have a time goal I've never quite hit. Maybe an Olympic? I love the idea of doing GWN but it probably isn't doable considering my husband's weird working hours.

What do you have planned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's what my mom always says too!
I believe her, which is the other reason I left them on. Plus I don't mind the skins in there.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It shows how much of a small town person I am that I wondered why on earth you'd drive out to Coronation (pop 947) to do a triathlon. Then I googled it and as a result am more educated! :-)

We are planning to do Calgary 70.3 again next year. We are also doing the Kettle Valley Rail Trail Ride with a friend. Other than that we don't have much on the calendar at the moment but I'm sure we'll find a few more things to do, maybe the Coeur d'Fondo again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win with 4
bike x 1: win with 2
run x 4: win
core/strength x 4: win
foam roll x 2: fail. zero.

Running is going pretty well - no pain out of the knee for awhile, though sometimes I can still feel tightness in the lower lateral area of the vastus lateralis or gluteus maximus. Both were talking a fair bit on a cold & hilly hour-ish cycle on Sunday morning, along with the right side of my neck (slept wrong?) and left side mid-back (pulled a muscle last Wednesday twisting around to get something out of my messenger bag. Stupidest shit ever).

Add in a saddle sore and damn near leaving my husband (having found out Saturday night he slept with a friend of ours a few years ago - while I was asleep upstairs, no less), and I'm a bit of a wreck right now.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4
foam roll x 1

Just keep doing the things.

Quote | Reply
Man - that is really crappy. Sorry you are dealing with it.

Take care of yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear this. Give yourself some extra TLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. x2 on the extra TLC.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeebus, hang in there. :-( big hugs and lots of support....

last week: keep working on pressure thru the apex and that pesky cheat - DONE, nail that 500m at the next meet! - FAIL, I fell in my first THREE races and if I hadn't I would have blown away my 500m pb. Did a food refill and mental recheck then nailed my last race (1000m) with 2 superb (coach's words) passes. :-)
- skate 3x + meet on Saturday!!! - DONE
- ride 2x - DONE
- run 2x - DONE (yes - even managed this!)
- get lots of sleep and eat right - DONE on every night except night before the meet, I did not get enough sleep (5hrs). :-( Now I know. Did it to myself really...

This week: Another meet, another chance at redemption...
- skate 3x + meet on Sat :-)
- ride 1x
- run 2x
- smarten up and get more sleep/rest, better food choices.
- finally get that 500m PB I so know I can do.

AP

EDIT: Oh and I just found out I GOT IN to the Berlin Marathon (Sept 2016) - I've been trying for years now and I finally got in! They also have a skate marathon (on the same course) the day before and you get special stuffs if you do both - which you know I will... :-) Super STOKED! A

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Dec 1, 15 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, K.

These past few weeks have been a complete fail. Between birthdays, Thanksgiving and a vacation, I've eaten horrifying amounts of junk food and done almost no exercise. BUT, I am committed to do something every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas, even just a few minutes of stretching. So far I am 6 for 6, yay for me! I am going to keep holding off running for a bit yet to give my IT band more rest, and I have yet to make it to the pool (although I shaved my legs this morning to try to force myself to go, haha), but I have been getting back on the trainer and doing my yoga and pre-hab, and even did a weights video the other day.

I am determined to NOT become a holiday weight gain statistic!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
EDIT: Oh and I just found out I GOT IN to the Berlin Marathon (Sept 2016) - I've been trying for years now and I finally got in! They also have a skate marathon (on the same course) the day before and you get special stuffs if you do both - which you know I will... :-) Super STOKED! A

Oooh, that's awesome!!

Dumb question: how do you have a skate marathon (ice) and a run marathon on the same course???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a dumb q: it's inline skate marathon. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Post-Thanksgiving, Womens near and far!

Last week was pretty successful - I ran twice, had a great trail ride on Black Friday, and swum twice. Major achievement was a long run of 4 miles on Turkey Day - I know 4 miles is a warm-up for most of you, but it is the longest run I have managed to date!

This week is not looking nearly as athletic, but school started again so it's just a case of getting back into a routine. I also have to get my Christmas cards bought, written, and mailed to the UK, or they won't get there by the holiday. And I forgot to post the card for my grandmothers birthday, so I'm already in trouble.

Thinking of all of you, and hoping your weeks are going well - or as well as they can.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to know it's not just me who is tardy on the international post Xmas cards this year!

Awesome work on the 4 miles! Did you get to do it outside? If so, cue the jealousy!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, womens. Everything is very weird right now, and I appreciate your kind thoughts.

Quote | Reply
Scheherazade, I did get to do it outside on the Eastern Trail! I am making the most of every single outdoor mile I can get - it is now December, in Maine, and I have not seen a single flake of snow yet. Being able to still run and ride outside is phenomenal, and since I suck on my XC skis, I'll take riding weather as long as possible! It is even looking favourite to get out again this weekend, amazingly enough - right around 50 degrees both days, sunny, not too windy.

MistressK, you've been in my thoughts. Like you said - just keep doing all the things. For now, it may be the best you can do; that, and being kind to yourself. Always be kind to yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week. I've been logging lots of hours (5x) on the trainer. Oddly, I'm not motivated to pedal my bike outside, so I'm just sticking with the trainer for now. I haven't rode outside in over a month, which is kind of whacking me out... will I still know how to ride outside? I hope so. Upside is that my stats are improving on the trainer.

Got the husband to do two runs with me (he mostly bikes). Now he can't walk. Oops. Guess he fell out of shape faster than he thought.

Need more rain (at least in California). There is nowhere to open water swim anymore except the great big ocean (which is a very mean ocean by where I live). I am still one with the famous black line.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 30 Edition [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
will I still know how to ride outside? I hope so.

of course! Its... like riding a bike :-)

sorry couldn't resist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay. That made me laugh. I guess I'll calm down now.

tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
will I still know how to ride outside? I hope so.

of course! Its... like riding a bike :-)

sorry couldn't resist

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply