Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim WOD - December 24
Quote | Reply
Dec 27

Ok, we've all gained 5 or 6 lbs over the last few days. Time to get rid of it.

A few of us are heading to the pool tomorrow for a 3 to 4 hour workout.

Pick a pace you can make. I'm doing either 1:30 or 1:40. Will have Gatorade and bananas on deck, for anyone who wants one.

100x100 @ that pace time.

Try to do no more than half of it with a pullbuoy, if you are so inclined to use one.

I'm doing it tomorrow because the pool is closed on New Years...
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 26, 15 20:53
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim WOD philosophy / interpretation / shorthand

Here are just a few of the "rules", and I use rules in the loosest sense of the word, for the WOD. This is just a bit of guidance so that I can use shorthand and still communicate the intent of the WOD. In no particular order at this point, if this grows then I might add some structure.

a) Not every day will be hard. Some days will be really easy (physiologically anyway). I'm not trying to kill anyone. I like to be finished a workout and feel like I could keep going.
b) Every day will demand that something be done really really well. A point of emphasis for the day, if you will. That might be effort. That might be a technique thing.
c) I am very minimal with the use of toys, but sometimes they might get used. They are meant to be tools for specific purposes, not crutches to mask technique flaws.
d) Consistency is far more important than any single workout, or workout design.
e) In the confines of this format, you aren't a triathlete. You are a swimmer. That means that not everything is micromanaged down to the nth degree for maximum benefit. I'm not intending this to be an "ideal" training programme. I don't want you to be saying 3 years from now that this sucks, is too hard, that you are burnt out.
f) You have a brain, use it. If something doesn't feel right, stop. Better safe than sorry.
g) I'm pretty thick skinned (no fat jokes though, please). If there is something that you want to see, but don't, then let me know by PM. I'll consider just about anything.
h) I'll try to post the WOD one day in advance, in the first post of the thread.
i) I will archive the previous WOD to the last post in the thread.
j) There will be at least 2 variants of the WOD. On most days there will be 3 variants.
k) I despise doing long continuous swims, for a lot of reasons. You will *never* see sets that call for over 400m straight. Except when they do.
l) Working on non-freestyle strokes is required. "But I just race triathlons, we only have to do freestyle", you say. I. Don't. Care. This is not a democracy. This is a benevolent dictatorship.
m) Other things that I require are doing "swimmer things" that (some) triathletes like to say "well, I don't race in a pool". Baloney. Anything that you do which improves body awareness in the water will help you in open water.
n) I haven't quite decided how I will convey intensity of efforts. I'll try a couple of different ways before I settle on something.
o) Speed is important. Being able to swim fast over 100-400m distances lends itself to swimming far. The opposite is not true.

Caveats, limitations and other things:
If you don't achieve the results I have promised, I offer an unconditional 100% refund of all monies paid.
I am not a coach. I am not coaching you. I have promised nothing.
These are written with my personal biases in full effect. I am not a triathlete. I am a swimmer who has done some triathlons.
I am primarily a sprint / middle distance swimmer. Free and fly. I will be doing a 1500m at some point this season, only to say that I've done it. But I won't like it.
I was an "OK" swimmer in college. Now I swim with a masters team roughly 4 times per week, other swims I do on my own. At masters, we have 2 regular coaches on deck, I'll be doing their workouts on those days.
Some of these I might steal, sorry, borrow, from other sources. When I do that, I will try to attribute a workout to the correct sources.

Glossary / Shorthand
When reading a set, sometimes, there may be variations. Other days I will just write 2 or 3 different versions of the workout, depending on how complicated it gets. The first number is the way it is originally designed. The numbers in brackets are the shorter and longer variations. Everything inside the curly brackets describes how to do the basic set.
example:
60 (40, 80) X 50 <--- short variation is 40 times 50.
{
12 (8,12) warmup pace @ T+20
8 (6,8) kick @T+30 (use fins if necessary)
40 (24,60) @ T +10
}

T, T+10, etc. "T" refers to a target time for the repeat. So if you are doing 50's at 1:30 per 100 pace as your goal pace, then "T" will be 45 seconds. T+10 will be 55 s. etc.

Build: gradually build the intensity within the repeat. i.e. a 100 build will start slow and finish fast(er)

Descend: usually accompanied by a notation such as "descend 1-3" or "descend 1-4". That means each consecutive repeat should be a little faster than the previous one. e.g. 8x100 descend 1-4. 1 is slowest, 2 is next slowest, 3 is a little quicker, then #4 is fastest. Then repeat that same pattern for # 5-8.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 1, 15 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the unconditional money back guarantee :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does "alt drill / swim by 50"mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [JBADGER] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBADGER wrote:
What does "alt drill / swim by 50"mean?

alternate 50 drill with 50 swim

So if it calls for a 300 alt drill.swim by 50, you'll do 50 drill, 50 swim, 50 drill, 50 swim, 50 drill, 50 swim, but continuously, i.e no breaks after each 50.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say

@ T + 10

Does the @ mean you should start your next rep at that time? how much rest if any?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [bofferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if T is 45 seconds, T+10 is 55 seconds.

That means you start repeat #2 55 seconds after you started repeat #1. You should, in this example, be getting around 10 seconds rest, because you should be swimming the distance in T seconds, but...you get as much rest as you get. Swim slower, you get less rest. Swim faster, you get more. You always start the interval 55 seconds after you started the previous one.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excited to do this tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to do this, much appreciated.

One request, could you mail out laminated note cards with the workouts too? That would be really great as my pea-brain can't remember the workouts with out them written down and it would save me time to not have to write it myself ;) Does remembering a workout without it written down mean you are a true swimmer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10x100 kick! You bastard!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol....

Print it and stick it in a large ziploc bag.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this! I am f'ing bored out of my gourd in the pool right now, this will be a nice change!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:

You should see what I'll have you do on a kick day....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much rest between each of the kicks and each of the 200's

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew I forgot something.

15 seconds.

As a general rule, if I forget to put in a rest interval, then do the set on an off time that gives you about 15s rest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
How much rest between each of the kicks and each of the 200's

I wasn't conplaining, it will be interesting because you gave two clear options. Option 1 is the triathlete option, options 2/3 are the swimmer options!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the first one in the pool at 5AM & did the short version.
Thanks for putting this together, good workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:

this is just the med and long right? short has no kick set, right?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right, the short one only has kick in warmup. for today. tomorrow might be different ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's right, the short one only has kick in warmup. for today. tomorrow might be different ;-)

well, we'll see if my toe supports the kicking at all so keep that in mind (as my needs are of the utmost importance :)).

thanks for doing this! after doing IM Sunday and bike yesterday swim is all i can do today.

aw dayum, i rmembered just as i was contemplating sea or pool that i have a surgery this evening and so no swim for the rest of the week. looking forward to next week's (pending pathology) workouts!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Dec 1, 15 8:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got up at 4:30am, checked ST, was excited to see WOD was there!!! Was excited to do the short workout!!! Got to gym at 5:20am, walked onto pool deck at 5:30am, was told pool was closed due to a "fecal incident" the night before.... left pool deck at 5:32am.... no swim for me :(
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's kinda shitty...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the workout last night. Was my first swim back in the pool in three weeks so felt pretty crappy but the workout was great. Strugglecity during those last 200s. Thanks

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason - if I essentially move backwards when I do fly kick without fins, is it acceptable to use short fins? I would take them off for free - I can flutter kick decently enough with a board (~1:50/100 on a 2:00 base, in yards). Looking to do either the med or long version tonight.

Also, what are your thoughts on this as a general layout - saw someone in another thread that had good success with it, training for OW with a wetsuit -
3x/week = Warmup ~1500 of various stuff, then a very hard pull set with paddles and buoy for 2-2.5k, then cd for a total of at least 4k
2x/week = Real swimmer workout - kicking, sprinting, etc total 3-4k

Total yards 20k/week or so.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Swim WOD - December 1 [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even more reason to do them without fins. As for the rest. No. This isn't a training program, its just a work out.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next