Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Armed Cyclist Association
Quote | Reply
I guess Florida just passed a 3 foot rule and people are pissed. They don't think cyclist should be on the road let alone have three feet. Despite efforts to educate the public on cyclist rights, the bad apples only reinforce to some people that cyclist do not belong on the road period. And they suggest that harming cyclist or even running them over is ok. So maybe it is time for an armed cyclist association.

The purpose of this organization would be three fold. To educate the public on the rights of cyclist, to train cyclist how to conceal and shoot a gun after physical activity, and serve as a deterrent to drivers who would do harm to cyclist. It could even sponsor an event that involves competitive shooting after a 10 mile ride to enhance the skill of riding after aerobic activity.

WHat do you guys think?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: LorenzoP: Nov 29, 15 16:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of those angry drivers are going to give notice to the cyclist that they intend to do harm rather than just running them over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"WHat do you guys think? "

I think you need to leave Florida. I would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
It could even sponsor an event that involves competitive shooting after a 10 mile ride to enhance the skill of riding after aerobic activity.

I scoffed out your list until this one. A cycling-based biathlon would be pretty cool.

Although if you can't even figure out how to use a valve extender, I'd be a little afraid of you in a biathlon.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 29, 15 17:30
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I had the valve extender down. The guy said everything was check, open valve extenders are just prone to leak over time.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live in florida anymore. But I still get news articles on my feeds and read the comments. What I saw was scary. Ignorance from not just but women who looked like professionals based on their facebook profiles. This is what that moron 95RMP didn't get. States like California have long accepted cyclist. Other states, not so much. Try riding in the middle of the street in florida and you may die.

Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
How many of those angry drivers are going to give notice to the cyclist that they intend to do harm rather than just running them over?

You can't prevent that. But let me give you a few scenarios. Motorist buzz cyclist all the time and then yell at such cyclist should the reach them at a stop sign or stop light. Cars cruise silently behind cyclist and honk the hron in potentially dangerous moments for the cyclist, causing them to be distracted when they should be focused on the road. Male motorist sexually harass female cyclist all the time and such women are vulnerable as they cannot answer back.

When I was riding in Florida, I've been hit by beer cans and other flying objects from cars. That is a felony on their part and dangerous. In one case, I reacted with a middle finger. This resulted in the big coal rolling truck stopping up 100 yards ahead and the guy yelling at me as I passed. Think about this for a minute. The guy hit me with a can, when I raised a finger, he stopped for a possible confrontation. This is somebody who wants you to fear for your life, and in most cases, cyclist do not carry. It just isn't practical. So they can do so with little risk of having resistance. But an awareness campaign by this Armed Cyclist Association with help from the NRA would make more people aware that some people do ride armed. In fact, to promote more people being armed, we would partner with a well known holster company for a holster that can be comfortably worn while riding in the aero or road bike position. We would also print up jerseys that say, I ride, I vote and I'm armed in highly visible print. I think I'm on to something.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carry when riding my fatbike on the trail. I wear hiking type pants, belt, and a normal type holster.

I do not ride much road anymore. I'd like to figure out a way to carry when riding. No need for aero whatever, or hide it in lycra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reach out to Florida Open Carry for legal advice, but I think if you do group ride to go fishing you can OC while you're riding there. You'll definitely get some publicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [ronniewo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't specific to Florida. This is national baby. The idea came when I read some comments on a baynew9 article. I have worked with Florida Open carry when I was an exec member of the florida Libertarian Party. We worked together on the 2012 push for open carry only to get sold out by the NRA. Now they had to revisit this year, but I digress. I'm talking national. States like Arizona where reside now allow open carry, the challenge has always been comfort while reasonably concealed. When I did live in florida and biked at night alone, I rode with a special fanny pack, but it screamed carrying a gun. While effective, it became a PITA when my rides started being longer than 20 miles. Yes, that was in the very beginning. The goal would be to address this. Make the public aware that just because we wear spandex doesn't mean we won't legally stand our ground. I've even considered using contacts I have with the NRA to have them issue an official Cycling Jersey, as I have known people who have had them custom made. They said that reduced the aggression they received remarkably. Sort of like a dude I knew who wore an USMC jersey.

Here is what I think. Cyclist have few challenges with motorist. Ignorance of the law. A huge power variance (2 ton car vs 24 lbs bike). Visual perception of weakness (most cyclist are smaller build in clothing that some might find feminine). I feel this group could promote ignorance of the law by not being afraid to visit gun clubs, gun shows and the normal places that other advocacy groups go. I feel visibly promoting that you may be armed speaks for itself. It could prevent a situation that could escalate. It also lets a motorist know that you may have an equalizer on you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mtb biathlon is already a thing but you're likely talking handguns which would be especially challenging at higher hr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This ride your ground movement sounds promising. You should ask George Zimmerman to join.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mountain bike biathlon is absolutely a thing! I did one in Texas last year. It was a blast, even though the rifle i borrowed wouldn't eject casings worth a damn. I spent more time cycling the bolt and flicking shell casings than I did shooting.

Still got 4th though.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you expect to run into?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your antlered boyfriend ;)

More commonly, a bear that's gotten used to dumbasses feeding it.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look. We have to stay focused here. I thought about this overnight. I think in going to start the process.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHat do you guys think?

1) If I feel I need a gun to protect me from something that is entirely avoidable and knowingly so without seriously impacting my activity, it makes more sense to me to avoid then to carry a gun.
2) If someone is going to "Do me harm" with a car and I'm on a bike I seriously doubt that having a gun is going to stop that from happening unless the guy is simply looking for a fight rather then looking to run me over.
3) The majority of cyclist deaths are due to drivers NOT seeing cyclists, not because they DO see them...a gun isn't going to help with that.

4) Seems to me that a person with a gun should be trained how to use it under ANY circumstance they may be forced to use it. IOW if you're going to carry a gun while do a strenuous aerobic activity then you should probably train to use it under those circumstances. In fact seems to me that training for something like that would help you be better in any situation because I suspect that "High adrenaline" and "High stress" conditions is similar to doing a high intensity workout.

In short if you've made the decision of "Hey I know there are bunch of people out there that want to run me over on purpose and I think I will give them the chance, but I'm going to carry a gun", well then seem like training for those conditions seems like a good idea.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have carried while riding before. Desantis pocket holster with a Sig P938 in the back jersey pocket. Worked just fine and wasn't uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

I have carried while riding before. Desantis pocket holster with a Sig P938 in the back jersey pocket. Worked just fine and wasn't uncomfortable.

But is it aero?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

But is it aero?

No, but it discouraged drafters - so there was a trade off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one case, I reacted with a middle finger. This resulted in the big coal rolling truck stopping up 100 yards ahead and the guy yelling at me as I passed. Think about this for a minute. The guy hit me with a can, when I raised a finger, he stopped for a possible confrontation.

Ok, Let's think about this for a minute. Guy in a big "I have a little penis" truck, throws a beer can at a dude dressed in lycra. Yep, 100% illegal, and assault. What does throwing the finger do? Holy shit, shocker, the dude stops.

So again, let's think about this. The people harassing bikers are people who are A) self confident and non confrontational B) Looking for a fight? The best possible option here is what A) Throw the middle finger B) Pull out the weapon and start blazing or C) Realize the dude probably has a little penis, never gets laid and lives in a trailer and do nothing at all except get a license plate number and turn it in to the police for assault charges assuming he actually hit you. ?

I don't understand this concept of "Hey I'm a bad ass so you can't be mean to me". A real man doesn't need to prove he's a bad ass unless he's forced to and having someone "Being mean" isn't forcing you to be a bad ass.

This is somebody who wants you to fear for your life, and in most cases, cyclist do not carry.

He got what he wanted when you flipped him off. He wanted you to "Be scared" and you showed that you were by flipping him off.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everything you say may be true, but consider this: what if the gun forge wants to carry is a really, really awesome gun?

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Armed Cyclist Association [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
everything you say may be true, but consider this: what if the gun forge wants to carry is a really, really awesome gun?

I have no problem with carrying a gun. I have no problem with buying guns because they are awesome. I love guns, I think they are awesome. I do however have a problem with people that buy guns under the guise of "Self protection" when in fact they are really buying guns so "I can be a bad ass and kick peoples asses when they are mean to me".

I think all to often the people buying guns for "protection" are simply doing so because "Someone was mean to mean and there was nothing I could do about that so next time I will shoot them in the face". To me this is nothing more then being scared.

Look at this story. Guy throws a beer can at the poster. He flips him off and then when the guy reacts by stopping thinks that the next logical step is "Well next time I will have a gun. He will throw a can, I will flip him off, he will stop...I will shoot him in face". It's nothing more then insecurity ramping into an arms race.

The real problem is not guns, it's the fact that the people generally most drawn to guns are the people that are probably the most dangerous with them. People that want to be powerful, people that are scared, people that are angry...they all want guns "For protection". If you are generally comfortable, self confident, secure and calm, you're probably not looking for protection. That doesn't mean you aren't going to want to get a gun for target practice, hunting or even because guns are cool. That also doesn't mean that maybe you HAVE to go some places where you feel you need a gun and actually DO want one for protection. IT also doesn't mean that if you carry a gun all the time that won't come in handy if by some chance you actually do need it to protect yourself. What it DOES mean is that if the reason you are buying a gun is largely set on "Well that person was mean to me and I'm not going to let that happen again" that you're buying for the wrong reason and more then likely next time YOU will be the menace to society not the mean trailer trash dude in the coal roller truck.

~Matt

Quote Reply

Prev Next