Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [gazman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now this is interesting!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought it would be a good idea to put bikes around a city with GPS trackers well hidden in them and lock them to random poles etc. If somebody cuts the lock and steals the bike track them down and arrest them. The bikes would be random (cruiser, mtb, road bike, fixie, big, small, blue, green red, black, etc) so as time went on thieves would have no idea whether or not the bike they were stealing was "bugged". As such they would be discouraged from stealing all bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I've always thought it would be a good idea to put bikes around a city with GPS trackers well hidden in them and lock them to random poles etc. If somebody cuts the lock and steals the bike track them down and arrest them. The bikes would be random (cruiser, mtb, road bike, fixie, big, small, blue, green red, black, etc) so as time went on thieves would have no idea whether or not the bike they were stealing was "bugged". As such they would be discouraged from stealing all bikes.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would these even fit in a bike? Can they receive a GPS signal indoors and when concealed inside a bike?
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A GPS antenna is very small, or you could conceal it in a plastic fairing that wouldn't block signals as strongly as metal. Wouldn't work inside, but you'd be able to track the thing until it entered a building.

That said, a track-and-arrest system may not work: Some publication had a "inside bike theft" article a while ago where they embedded themselves with actual bike thieves. The ones doing most of the theft in their article had sold the bike again within an hour of stealing it, usually for cash in a big open-air market.

I guess you could nail the person buying the stolen bike for possession of stolen goods, but that doesn't _entirely_ help the problem, as the thief is still free and flush with his cash. Arresting law-abiding people for buying what to them is just a used bike wouldn't be a very popular or effective policy. It'd slightly depress used-bike prices by curtailing demand a bit but probably not catch any big-time thieves.

Edit or maybe my pessimism isn't warranted. If the cops are running the GPS program and pay close attention, looks like it's effective.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Nov 27, 15 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.nsnews.com/...s-on-thief-1.2119416

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

x2

The fight was better than anything that could be staged at WWF too!
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
http://www.nsnews.com/news/bait-bike-puts-the-brakes-on-thief-1.2119416

I like it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

That would be entrapment, and it's against the law.

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

How on earth is it entrapment?

Quote:
In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit.

There's no undercover officer going up to suspects saying "hey there's a really nice bike on that rack down the street" or "want to buy some coke?" or "I'll pay you $50,000 to take this guy out." It's not even like the bikes would be just sitting around. They would be locked up. The thieves would have to actively cut the lock. In your world, every bike induces bike thieves. It's not the thieve's fault, all the bikes locked up to bike racks are inducing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, so you taking it to the streets? Let me know how that works out for you trying to chase down bike thieves doped up on crack, and serving citizen arrests.

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Police officers would respond to the theft just like they'd respond to the theft of one of their own police cruisers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
Awesome, so you taking it to the streets? Let me know how that works out for you trying to chase down bike thieves doped up on crack, and serving citizen arrests.

Sounds like he was just addressing where you incorrectly stated that it was entrapment. No need to be all salty.
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [dzxc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh...I said what I said.

Rappstar wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
Bait cars have been used in Vancouver for many years and now they're using bait bikes as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is no different than a prostitution sting where undercover police officers are standing at a street corner waiting for johns to come by. It's also no different than bait cars or the sting on "to catch a predator" that once ran on NBC.

shivermetimbers wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Quote | Reply
Watching this bike thief video will make you mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJLDjSMqXLg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for Duffy and JSA [edit meant vitus] to score the MMA at the end of the video, please. Why do dudes take off their shirts before going at it? Because shirt could be used to choke or pulled over head? So I suppose if someone is pulling off their shirt, I should run up and kick them in the balls?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Nov 27, 15 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I'm waiting for Duffy and JSA [edit meant vitus] to score the MMA at the end of the video, please. Why do dudes take off their shirts before going at it? Because shirt could be used to choke or pulled over head? So I suppose if someone is pulling off their shirt, I should run up and kick them in the balls?

Yeah, I'd be kneeing them in the jaw while they took off their shirt.

Then stepping back, waiting for my buddy to sucker punch them in the kidney.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

I seem to recall Santa Barbara PD ding this some years ago with LoJack.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Looks like the guy with the red shoes (baiter) has some training. The way he put on that guillotine choke (throwing his leg over the back and hipping out to his right is something that is learned, not instinct.

The thief appeared totally untrained.

I don't think I'd bother to remove my shirt before an impromptu donnybrook. My shoulders are pretty tight so removing a tshirt takes me more time than those young studs.

Besides, I can use my shirt against you. You could use it against me if you know what you're doing but if you know what you're doing it wouldn't really matter either way.

If someone wanted to throw down with me (and all other options were not applicable) and they went to remove their shirt I'd probably shoot a double and have them mounted with their shirt still over their face.

So to answer your question I don't really know why the shirts come off. Maybe it's the universal douchebag way of communicating the desire to scrap.

One douchebag is in a "fuck you fight" with another douchebag (two dude saying fuck you to eachother) and when one douchebag takes off his shirt that's means "ok, I'm reading to start physical violence with you." If the other douchebag also removes his shirt then every douchebag watching the YouTube video will know that this was a clean fight and not a Worldstar bear down.

Or maybe they're gay.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

My bet is most thieves are drug addicts looking to sell for a quick buck to get their next fix and probably wouldn't be discouraged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's more of kind of the same, but with a twist and some funny euro racing commentary:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Nov 27, 15 13:07
Quote Reply
Re: "bike bait" prank to catch bike thieves GOLD [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the case of the prostitution, entrapment would be if a polic officer walked up to someone and asked for sex in exchange for money. If the prostitute walks up to someone and offers sex in exchange for money, that's not entrapment. But the police have to initiate it for it to be entrapment.

There really is no way a bicycle could entrap someone. If the bike is sitting there and someone takes it it's theft, it doesn't matter if it's put there for the purpose of catching someone taking it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next