Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uterine ablation
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any experience with this?

A little background about me: I have always had very heavy periods. Now I am 43 and in perimenopause, and they have gotten erratic and even heavier. There are times when I will soak through a heavy flow tampon in an hour. One time during a trail race that lasted less than 3 hours, I went through everything that I had with me and still ended up with blood streaming down my legs by the end. (Hey, this is the women's forum). So this situation really isn't compatible with endurance sports. I also react very badly (I get the symptoms of lupus) to every form of oral contraceptives that I have tried. I know this makes me sound like a mess, but I am basically a healthy, active person.

Because of these things, I want to talk to my gyno about ablation. Now is the off season where I am working out but not training, and next year I am planning my first ultra and my first IM, so the time seems right. I am wondering what kind of recovery times were required. Were there any long-term effects, such as pain during races, that I should be concerned about? Any regrets?
Quote Reply
Re: Uterine ablation [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this - but the situation has improved. I had two fibroids removed after I finally went to my doc about the massive bleedouts every month, plus between-cycle bleeding after sex (the first time that happened it scared the crap outta me!). Like you, it was so bad that I was virtually trapped at home for Day 1 of my cycle. Talk to your Gyno, yes, but you might want to make sure there's nothing else going on first. Since having the fibroids removed, I am still on the Orange Super-Plus tampons, but I can go about 2-3 hrs now instead of ~60-90min, and the Day 3-7 is much MUCH lighter now.

I guess all I'm saying is you may not need ablation, if there's something else causing the heavy flows.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No personal experience, but my mom had it done 20ish years ago. She said it was the best decision ever. Super heavy periods & debilitating cramps every month. She still got periods, but they were much lighter/manageable. I imagine the technology has improved since she had it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one done 10 years ago. I was also in perimenopause and had heavy periods where I kind of had "clots" where I would be normal and then all of a sudden an uncontrollable gush. You are awake for it, it is uncomfortable but not painful. I did have a valium beforehand because I was a little nervous about the being awake for it part. Recovery time was practically nil. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Uterine ablation [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. I even have the luxury of being ahead of schedule on my projects at work right now (just in case I need to take a couple days off), so I am seriously considering the procedure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also add that some of the benefits only lasted about 3 years and then I chose to have a hysterectomy.
Quote Reply
Re: Uterine ablation [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pookie87 wrote:
I should also add that some of the benefits only lasted about 3 years and then I chose to have a hysterectomy.

This is my experience also.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to not be in this boat, but am glad there is a place for us to come ask these kinds of questions. Best of luck to you.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Uterine ablation [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
pookie87 wrote:

This is my experience also.
That sounds like something that I would definitely have to ask my doctor about.
Quote Reply