Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW
Quote | Reply
Irrespective of the cost, what are your thoughts on comparing the 2 wheels?

Which one would you like on your ride?

I don't have any personal experience with either brand.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bite. I'd go with the NSW just because of the effort that they put into the brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. I'll go with NSW purely because of the name is badass and looks like the wheels have been designed in some top secret lab ^_^

On a serious note I think you would need wind tunnel data to see the performance difference between them. Looks like rock solid picks for a dirty fast wheel set. I doubt you would be able to tell any difference.

The brake surface is interesting on the NWS though as already mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would make my decision based on the following
1. What is your average speed and how windy are the conditions you would encounter. The Zipp might be better in windier conditions and at lower speeds. ENVE for calm conditions and 25+ mph.
2. How wide a tire do you plan to ride? I think the Zipp has a wider internal distance between the brake tracks, so it would be better with wider tires (25 or wider)
3. Warranty on the ENVE is better. If you ride on roads with lots of potholes you might appreciate this.
4. While Zipp has a new hub design, the hubs on the ENVE wheels have always been always been sort of the gold standard.
5. Zipp probably wins the wet weather braking battle.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Enve's seem much lighter that the Zipp 808 NSW.

I posted this elsewhere and thought to ask it here:

Enve 7.8 weight (per set): 1552g
Zipp 808 NSW (per set): 1810g

Are the Enve's really 258 grams lighter than the Zipps??!!

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the ENVEs. I've ridden & raced their 3.4, 6.7, & 8.9 and am very excited about the 7.8 -- they look super comfortable and fast. Their 5-year warranty and the engineering behind it, along with the hub choice make them hard to beat. The braking is great on the "older" SES wheels, and it looks like the 7.8's have the newer molded-in brake track. ENVE customer service has always been fantastic. Zipps are nice too -- nothing against them -- but ENVE would be my choice.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp NSW for me. I love my Zipp Firecrest 808 and Super 9. Zipps reputation, engineering, and customer service is outstanding. The new wheels look great

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 18, 15 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would make my decision based on the following

2. How wide a tire do you plan to ride? I think the Zipp has a wider internal distance between the brake tracks, so it would be better with wider tires (25 or wider)

5. Zipp probably wins the wet weather braking battle.

Not that I really prefer one over the other (except that I find the weight of the 7.8 impressive for their depth/width but a quick correction :
2. Enve website says internal width for the 7.8 is 19mm front and rear, whereas Zipp 808 NSW is 17.25mm, so it is actually the opposite, Enve have wider internal width. Not that it makes a huge difference, 15 to 17mm makes a difference, 17 to 19mm is not such a big deal anymore with a 23mm clincher tire.

5. I trust the Zipp new braking surface (as also seen on 404 firestrike) is excellent, it seems Enve also has a new brake track (same as on the 2.2 ?). I have 404 Firecrest and Enve 6.7 and both brake well so that long as new 808 and 7.8 offer an improvement to something that already work well enough to me then I don't see how I could not be happy with one or the other in term of braking ;-) .

All that being said... I'm like you guys, very interested in both but will have to make a choice. Aero comparison would we awesome but I guess it's not coming very soon :-(
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENVE:

The SES 7.8 features asymmetric rim geometries front to back. The front rim is 71mm deep and 29mm wide while the rear rims is 80mm deep and 27.5 mm wide. The dissimilar rim geometries improve the efficiency of the airflow in the system of bike frame and wheels. Because running 25mm tires is now standard, the SES 7.8 was designed with larger tires in mind.

Interesting, but not very helpful: NSW review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUdC3mrHcc8

The Zipp's do look pretty awesome.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
correction.

ENVE = 1552g grams with the carbon hub =$3500.

ENVE = 1657g with the standard hub = $2900.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Zipp NSW for me. I love my Zipp Firecrest 808 and Super 9. Zipps reputation, engineering, and customer service is outstanding. The new wheels look great

X2 on Zipp..... Tried lots of wheelsets and the best one that I truly love, works perfectly and great people do deal with are ZIPP WHEEL.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [Jimster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Zipps on the tri bike, Enve on the road bike (Campy v shimano set-up so don't switch them up). I find the Enve's roll smoother. Zipp, of course, has higher resale value because of reputation, but Enve's really are smooth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had firecrest 404s and 808s. I ride Enve 6.7s now and wouldn't go back. Reliable and look great. I have had a few issues with zipp hubs in the past, but haven't tried their latest two hub generations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pre-ordered my 7.8s last week - I did consider the new 808s but almost everyone I know who has ridden 404s on a consistent basis has cracked one or both of them. The 5 year warranty, crash replacement deal and the fact that a few people I know ride them daily were what convinced me to go with Enve. First race on them (providing they arrive in time) will be Taupo 70.3 on Dec 12.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [gotbitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotbitten wrote:
I have Zipps on the tri bike, Enve on the road bike (Campy v shimano set-up so don't switch them up). I find the Enve's roll smoother. Zipp, of course, has higher resale value because of reputation, but Enve's really are smooth
If both are 11-speed you should be able to switch the wheels between the bikes - Shimano and Campagnolo (and SRAM) 11-speed has the same cog spacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This picture confirms the 7.8 has the new brake track as seen on 2.2.

Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does ENVE sell just the front wheel? Everything I find is the entire wheelset.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know I'm afraid - but I think the "sell as a pair only" idea is likely because the profiles are engineered to either avoid a particular interaction with each other or to maximise the aero benefits from doing something else. I suspect Enve would advise against mixing a newer profile wheel on one end of the bike with an older one on the other (if that's what you're considering).

Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks and leaves me out in the cold. I already have a nice rear wheel disc with a powertap, so I just need a front. Was looking forward to getting an ENVE front. That's kind of a dumb and annoying sales tactic, in my opinion.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure my friend Rich @ wheelbuilder.com can do something for you : front wheel only option here --> http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...7.8-front-wheel.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If indeed they do only sell pairs it won't be a sales tactic - just he best way to make sure people who buy from them don't lose any potential gains from undesirable airflow interactions with wheels that weren't factored into the design process.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
Definitely the ENVEs. I've ridden & raced their 3.4, 6.7, & 8.9 and am very excited about the 7.8 -- they look super comfortable and fast. Their 5-year warranty and the engineering behind it, along with the hub choice make them hard to beat. The braking is great on the "older" SES wheels, and it looks like the 7.8's have the newer molded-in brake track. ENVE customer service has always been fantastic. Zipps are nice too -- nothing against them -- but ENVE would be my choice.

I have a set of 65 classics and mated to my Speed Concept's proprietary brake....performance is awful in wet weather. I chatted with ENVE about the 7.8 combo and they thought the wet weather braking would be quite significant. Said it was up 30% from the 6.7 / 8.9 combos.

Did you every have the classics in the wet and could speak to them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can and often do sell front and rear wheels separately. Because the Smart ENVE System is designed to optimize the performance of the flow fields in the front and back of the bike, separating the wheels doesn't mean they won't work in their respective flow fields independently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Excellent question... The 7.8 is developed specifically with the AG triathlete in mind and therefore optimized for riders who average in the 25mph range. It is also notably more stable than our previous 6.7 or 8.9 models, the feedback from the handful of riders who raced on them and tested at Kona was outstanding. They were quite literally amazed with how well they performed in the winds of the Big Island.
2.100% optimized around a 25mm tire. Wider tire (assuming it's a good tire) will also reduce rolling resistance and therefore save watts.
3. 5 Year Warranty, but potholes aside, if you haven't ridden a pair of our wheels definitely make it a point to demo before you pull the trigger. Those who ride know and then buy ENVE.
4. Until recently we haven't made our own hubs. We let the buyer choose between the industry gold standards of DT Swiss and Chris King. The new ENVE Carbon Road Hubs employee DT Swiss internals to ensure long term reliability and performance.
5. Again, ride before you buy... Our new brake track is amazing and does improve braking power over our previous molded design by roughly 30%. The new texture allows for almost equal wet and dry weather braking performance.
Quote Reply
Re: ENVE 7.8 vs. ZIPP 808 NSW [ENVE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENVE wrote:
We can and often do sell front and rear wheels separately. Because the Smart ENVE System is designed to optimize the performance of the flow fields in the front and back of the bike, separating the wheels doesn't mean they won't work in their respective flow fields independently.

THANK YOU for clearing that up. I'll be in touch. Love the warranty. You had me at "5 years."

Quote Reply

Prev Next