Prev Next
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is the top tube shaped like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason I purchased this bike was for multiple reasons

1. Geometry - I'm an odd shaped dude. We took my fit from Mat Steinmetz on my BMC which is the closest I've come to being comfortable on a bike. Jimmy nailed it with this one.

2. Aeroness- I want a fast bike. based off all of the layman research I've done the Lotus 110 was a very fast design. I spoke with Diaa while he was here in Texas for IMTX and we had some great discussions on how they approached the design of this bike and I really felt like it was going to be super fast. I put a lot of trust into what he said and was doing. One thing that made me feel comfortable was that Diaa's girlfriend Leanda Cave is riding the bike. That may not seem like a big deal but Leanda is a world champion and she isn't going to rest her career on a bike that her boyfriend is building. That's a good tell that she believes in the product. If she didn't she could have stayed with Pinarello and just said she was contractually obligated and waited to see if the bike was a success.

3. Ironman setup- This was a big one. I want to stay in the aero position as long and as much as possible. The hydration system on this thing is the best idea and most practical solution i've ever seen. with a BTA bottle I have 64 oz without having to sit up and reach behind me or with a traditional bike have the aero loss of having something on the down tube or seat post. we lose so many time savings having to get out of the aero bars to stay hydrated and this is the best set up i've ever seen. can't highlight that enough.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Why is the top tube shaped like that?

It's designed like that for aero reasons. Jimmy explained to my the exact reason but I would feel uncomfortable releasing that info without Jimmy's permission. Hopefully he will come on and he can answer that but it's designed for aero reasons and to keep the bottle from rattling.

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There must have been a Ventum pow-wow about a week ago. I got behind some guy on a Ventum, then just north of town he pulled off & in behind a dispensary in a parking lot swarmed a bunch of them...oddly, coming down Left Hand Canyon, was a gal on a Ventum--not sure who it was). All within about 15 minutes. Never saw so many of them before. I did notice that when this guy (who had is vest unzipped flapping in the wind--)...shifted gears with the Di2...what a racket it was! Quite the echo seemingly throughout the frame. Much louder than my Cervelo P3. I wonder if this was maybe because he didn't unload the pedals when shifting & the chain was just more violent slamming into the next gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
There must have been a Ventum pow-wow about a week ago. I got behind some guy on a Ventum, then just north of town he pulled off & in behind a dispensary in a parking lot swarmed a bunch of them...oddly, coming down Left Hand Canyon, was a gal on a Ventum--not sure who it was). All within about 15 minutes. Never saw so many of them before. I did notice that when this guy (who had is vest unzipped flapping in the wind--)...shifted gears with the Di2...what a racket it was! Quite the echo seemingly throughout the frame. Much louder than my Cervelo P3. I wonder if this was maybe because he didn't unload the pedals when shifting & the chain was just more violent slamming into the next gear.

so I'm not sure what you define as a "bunch of them" as there are only 3 maybe 4 people in Boulder who have one and they are all pro's. Two of them are married to each other and the other guy doesn't normally ride or train with them. I'm not sure what the point of the vest comment is as it has no bearing on the bike. Also, thanks for the disparaging remarks about saying it's a racket when it shifts. I have one with the Di2 and the shifting was as quiet as I've ever had with any bike I've owned with Di2. So are you on here to just troll and start something?

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
3. Ironman setup- This was a big one. I want to stay in the aero position as long and as much as possible. The hydration system on this thing is the best idea and most practical solution i've ever seen. with a BTA bottle I have 64 oz without having to sit up and reach behind me or with a traditional bike have the aero loss of having something on the down tube or seat post. we lose so many time savings having to get out of the aero bars to stay hydrated and this is the best set up i've ever seen. can't highlight that enough.

And what happens half way through the bike when you need to refill the hydration system? How easy can you refill it on the go? Can you stay in aero and do it?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking bike.
Im getting mine this week!
Super excited.
If I ever learn how to post picture I will upload some!
Looking forward to meeting the Ventum crew in Kona!
Last edited by: spasmus: Sep 20, 15 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
kman74 wrote:

And what happens half way through the bike when you need to refill the hydration system? How easy can you refill it on the go? Can you stay in aero and do it?

Actually yes it is super easy. there is a rubber cap about mid thigh and you pop it off and and it has a leash. the hole is about one and a half inches wide. never have to leave the aero position. super super easy.

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
2. Aeroness

We've got some wind tunnel time at A2 coming up in early October if you really want to see how aero you (or anyone who owns one) are or are not on it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope this can happen. Some independent testing would be very welcome.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Great looking bike.
Im getting mine this week!
Super excited.
If I ever learn how to post picture I will upload some!
Looking forward to meeting the Ventum crew in Kona!

Awesome! I will be there as well. Look forward to meeting all the Ventum owners

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got home and the Ventum came by UPS!!

Unboxed it and it sprang out of the box/ Its so fast I can't catch it in my kitchen!!

Build and fit tomorrow.

Thanks to Jimmy and Diaa for coming through with their estimated Sept 20-23rd delivery date when I ordered back in August.
They have been great to work with.

Pictures soon!
Last edited by: spasmus: Sep 23, 15 16:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a detailed write up on a Ventum build from Todd Kenyon on the TTBikeFit site: here
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool picture from that website

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep thinking the frame might grow on me but its just not pleasing to my eye.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how aero it is to have the fill cap and straw exposed to the wind

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Sep 23, 15 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this pic on the Ventum Facebook page of Kyle Buckingham

Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 1, 15 21:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a heap of hydration!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirk - when are you going to post some pics of your new ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love the Ventum frameset, it's taken a long time for someone to take the old Lotus design and bring it bang up to date.

I've taken a few years off from triathlon / Ironman but am back training up for Ironman racing next year. My bike for 2016 will be a Planet X Stealth but I'm hoping to order a Ventum at some point. As you can see from my previous bikes, I love this style. I would have loved to have ridden a Lotus and did have a chance to buy one - shame I'm a short ass and it wouldn't fit : (

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
going to this evening. Have been at a conference after superfrog and haven't had time.

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arrived on Wednesday, built on Thursday and raced on Friday!

Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [gavdxb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is the brake cover missing? How was racing on it?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just hadn't gotten round to cutting down the brake cover.

Today tried to swap my stages arm onto the bike and found that it's not compatible - the "pod" won't go past the back brake.

Time for a set of Powertap P1's then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine went into production on Friday. I am seriously excited to start riding this machine. I go the 54 with Dura-ace. Customer service has been amazing and there for me every step of the way so far
Quote Reply

Prev Next