Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pregnancy and Running
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

My wife is pregnant. We're wondering if it's okay for her to continue running and up until what point?

I found a podcast episode that talks about pregnancy and running. Apparently, this young women ran up until 1 week before birth. Is that pushing it?

http://www.epictriathlonpodcast.com/...opk2k9punaks580lwc1y

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and Running [Arsenic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am probably the LAST person who should respond to this as I've never been pregnant.

But I was of the understanding that it was OK to run until the woman was uncomfortable with it, my one good friend Ran up until the day she delivered.
I think her advice and the goal is to not let the heart rate get above a certain point. Not sure what that point is... may be specific from woman to woman.

I've had several ladies in my masters swim group swim right up to delivery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

You don't mention how pregnant your wife is or if this is her first pregnancy, but that really is a question best posed to her doctor, OB/GYN, midwife... Someone who is familiar with both pregnancy and her specific medical history. It's very easy to speak in generalities, but having seen a very fit, active, runner colleague of mine go through two heartbreaking miscarriages that may or may not have been related to her continued running (in conjunction with some existing pregnancy issues she had with her first successful pregnancy), it really is worth the ask IMO, if for no reason other than peace of mind.

I also saw a woman I was *sure* was going to give birth in the middle of the run successfully complete a sprint tri (in a considerably better time than I did, I might add) earlier this summer, so YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
her body will tell her, either through heart rate or dizziness or unhappy bladder.

If she's used to pushing past pain, though, she might not listen, so play it on the safe side.

Once running gets uncomfortable she can continue to do it in the pool. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pregnant! I'm just about 12 weeks and have continued to run consistently through my first trimester and hope to continue as long as I can. My doctor is completely on board as I don't have any high risk factors and told me to keep going as long as I'm comfortable. I am definitely going slower these days (I just don't feel comfortable getting my heart rate up too high) and I'm not running for as long as I'm used to but hey, I'm doing a lot more than most pregnant women I know.

I think the biggest challenge for me right now is the weight gain. I put on 10 pounds in the first trimester (I was in racing shape when I get pregnant) so I'm definitely feeling the extra weight when I run. But again, it just makes me a bit slower, doesn't affect if I run or not.

One thing that may change how long I run for is weather. I was okay running in the heat of the end of the summer but I do worry about the winter and possibly falling. Normally I chance it because it wouldn't be a huge deal if I fell but a totally different story this year.

Good luck to your wife--hope she has an uneventful pregnancy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I ran throughout both of my pregnancies. I did a full marathon at about 15/16 weeks with my first (much slower than normal) and a half with my second (again way slower than normal) in the third trimester. After halfway or the start of the third trimester I did more of a run/walking combination to feel more comfortable. I was able to keep run-walking until I gave birth. However, I didn't do anything I wasn't already used to doing pre-pregnancy. My doctor was okay with this and mostly kept on me to eat sufficient protein. I would also note, I also swam and biked during the pregnancies, so I was only running about 2 days/week. I can't speak to running 3+ days a week.

On a side note, both girls were about a week early. Perhaps the activity helped them along, I don't know. No complications during birth, aside from the usual - "oh crap this is actually happening" ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to quickly chime in on this one. I feel like there is so much pressure on women these days to continue to train during pregnancy and the bottom line is you have to do what is right for YOU. I got pregnant only a few weeks after an ironman so needless to say I was in great shape. After 3 months or so, I had to cut running out completely due to ligament pain. You know what? That's OK. Staying active while pregnant is important, setting goals for duration or distance is not. It's OK to slow down and focus on growing a human. Good luck with everything!!
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and Running [lizard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lizard wrote:
I wanted to quickly chime in on this one. I feel like there is so much pressure on women these days to continue to train during pregnancy and the bottom line is you have to do what is right for YOU. I got pregnant only a few weeks after an ironman so needless to say I was in great shape. After 3 months or so, I had to cut running out completely due to ligament pain. You know what? That's OK. Staying active while pregnant is important, setting goals for duration or distance is not. It's OK to slow down and focus on growing a human. Good luck with everything!!

100% this!

It totally depends on the person and even the pregnancy. I've had two babies and my experiences were very different - and both were great. With my first pregnancy, I had almost completely stopped running in order to get pregnant due to fertility treatments, so when I finally got pregnant, I didn't want to start running again. Instead, I swam 3x per week, snowshoed, did prenatal exercise videos (light cardio and weights) and walked all the way through my pregnancy - felt great, gained 20 lbs, and was back running 6 weeks post c-section (due to a breech baby - not related to running or not running!). My return to running was pretty smooth - I ran an easy paced half at 5 months post-partum about 20 minutes slower than my PB at the time and a PB marathon when my daughter was 13 months old.

The second time around I had been training right up until pregnancy, so I just kept running. But, I wasn't training. I ran for fun and fitness and because it felt good - my "long" runs were 10-15 km until about the half way mark, then all my runs were shorter, easy efforts. I kept going right to the end - by then, maxing out at about 2-3 miles at a time, about 60-90 seconds slower than my old "easy pace". I listened to my body and adjusted accordingly.

This time, I was back running after a month, ran that same half about 15 minutes faster than last time at 4 months post partum, and set a 14 minute PB in the marathon when my son was a year. My return was quicker partly I think because I'd run through.

On the flip side, I've had several friends who are excellent runners who were super fit going into pregnancy and could hardly run a step due to various reasons. Pregnancy can do a number on your body - there's no reason not to stay active, but if running doesn't work for your wife, there are lots of other options! Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It varies from person to person. Personally depends on whether your on first, 2nd or 3rd trimester. Especially on the 3rd trimester I feel like just taking time off from training and just focus on pregnancy. Congrats by the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your little one! If she has been running pre-pregnancy, then it is fine to still run while pregnant, as long your OB allows her too. You have to take note though, that when she runs or exercises, most of the blood flow goes to her running muscles, instead of to her growing baby inside. So I suggest that she incorporate break periods when running, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate because overheating can be bad for your baby. Perhaps taking it slowly for now is much safer and better for the both of you.

When running, take note of symptoms like unusual shortness of breath, dizziness, overheating and pain in the back or hips, and STOP once any of these happens.

Also take note of any signs of preterm labor like contractions, vaginal bleeding, pain in the belly, fluid leaking or gushing from her lady parts, it may be safer to call your practitioner at once.

Exercising is perfectly okay and safe during pregnancy, as this keeps her from gaining excess weight and keeps her sane, but now is not the time to push it to the limits. Just enjoy the process of pregnancy because it is such a wonderful thing!

I hope this helps! :)
Quote Reply