Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals for this week: bike every day I rode 5 days, which I am pleased with!. be present while doing work. yup, didn't do a ton of work as it was my last week home but I did a good job focusing on work (I've been trying to settle into a 30 min of work, 5 min break routine)

sport stuff
swam 2x = 4,050 yds
biked 5x = 75 mi
ran 7 times = 53 mi
taught 3 hrs of yoga at the gym

I fly back to Oregon tomorrow. Main goals for the week are (a) don't eat junk while traveling (b) be present while doing work (c) swim 3x (d) get 100 mi of biking in (30 done!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week, great weekend.
Got in all planned runs. yay! Had a really fun dirt road ride on Wed. and snagged a QOM, thanks to a large guy's pull.
Got in my long run on Thurs., after which I couldn't make it past the kitchen and had to lie down for 10 mins with my eyes closed on the tile floor.
That hurt. Oh my gosh did that hurt. It's been quite a while since a long run (16) hurt that badly. I was a mess for the rest of the night, had trouble sleeping due to how crappy my legs felt, and felt horrid the next day.
Working a full day and then running that far is SUPER hard.
Raced two CX races Sat/Sun. Pleased with how both of them went. Had barrels o' fun. I swear that's the most fun racing I do. Out of anything.
Surprised myself greatly by hitting the goals for my tempo run on Sun. afternoon. 3mi tempo.

So both my hamstrings are getting cranky where they attach up in the bum area. I've been doing a bit of googling to try to find out how best to help them not hurt. Hurt is at an annoyance level, not at a "oh crap" level. I would like to avoid the 'oh crap' level. So far googling suggests not overly stretching them but light massage, ice, and contracting the muscle with brief light stretching after that.
if anyone else has input, fire away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done very little the last few weeks, partly because I got sick but I'm okay with that. Just had a long weekend in Calgary for my mom's birthday so ate and drank lots and feel very relaxed. We're off to Idaho later this week for a fondo where we are doing the 84 mile route - it'll be my longest bike ride ever :-)

I'm also hoping to take my wetsuit and get a dip in Lake Coeur d'Alene. I'm hoping it isn't going to be too cold - I know the resort has shut it's private beach already but I figure there'll be a park with a beach that I can use as a launching pad? We have a day to just sightsee/tour/explore on the Sunday so if anybody has ideas or recommendations for CdA let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you're feeling better. Is CdA the one with snakes or is that IMWI? (Not trying to freak you out, just wondering).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am feeling better. My friend's toddler passed on some of his germs and they knocked me right out. He rarely wants to play with me so when he does I'm willing to overlook the crusted up snot on his face, haha. Next time I might think twice.

I think snakes are IMWI. I already had my "snake in a lake" encounter earlier this year (I was standing on the dock) so hoping I'm safe for this season ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly good for not getting in nearly enough training prior to racing on Saturday! The course was hard ("rolling hills" my rear end), but honest - there were no gotchas if you were appropriately prepared. I placed in my division, but that was by virtue of the race offering the Athena category so it's a fun thing to say, but not terribly meaningful in the context of the overall.

A friend had a car accident six months or so ago, and a couple of operations later has come to the conclusion that she won't be riding her mountain bike for a while. So that has come to join my happy bike family on permanent loan until she's ready to get back in the saddle.

I also acquired a new-to-me trainer over the weekend, which sits the bike a couple of inches or so higher than my old one.... Now I have to have a stool to get off the bike without doing myself serious mischief! (Hashtag shortpeopleproblems?!) I'm hoping we've got another month, maybe even 6 weeks of riding outside, but the plan is to get in the habit of spinning half an hour a day over the winter and when life gets in the way of getting outside.

Goals for this week -
- Start actively tracking food again. This plateau is driving me nuts.
- Work on adjusting bedtime and wake-up time to allow for AM spinning
- Get back into the habit of school work (semester starts today)
- Go mountain biking!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a lake snake, and hope to never see one :-)

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: school work - what are you studying/taking?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh... Nothing terribly exciting. I graduated from SMCC in May (nine years for a two-year AA, go me!), so I've bumped out to SNHU for my four-year online BS in Operations Management. I've been a project manager for seven years, but my company just got "merged" (read: bought out) and I'm looking to get some formal credentials and some skills that will stand me in good stead if I decide to consult in the future or I have to go back into the job market.

tl;dr: This term is Project Management w/CAPM certification prep and Intro to Marketing. Dec. thru Feb. is Business Systems Analysis & Design and Financial Accounting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
3 x swim: win
2 x bike: well, if you want to count my lunch ride & after-work commute as 2 rides..
6 x run: WIN
4 x core/strength: win

Managed to get in over 60km of running despite some worrying soreness both before and after a 23k run Saturday (yes, I did it anyway because I am pigheaded) - it actually improved after a hilly 9k run on Sunday, though that might have something to do with actually picking up my The Stick and using it for once.

This week's goals:
2 x swim
1 x bike
6 x run
4 x core/strength

I seriously don't care about anything but running right now. Last week of build for the 50k on Oct 17th since I'll be camping both of the next two weekends after this one. Keep your fingers crossed that my legs hold together!

Quote | Reply
last week:
- skate 3x - DONE skated 4x actually and awesomeness abounds! got to finally skate with cables (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vng-t5NYcMQ - but on ice not dryland - super trippy, hard!!!)
- run 4x (I know I can do this) - DONE ran 5x actually and all felt really good
- ride maybe once (school year means more driving than riding boo) - FAIL but OK with it
- more exterior trim repair and paint, some interior plaster repair and paint - DONE* (the to-do for the weekend was done, but the project as a whole is not done)

this week:
- 2 weeks left to go to new job :-)
- skate 5x
- run 4x
- ride 4x (already rode to & from new work - it's double my current commute so 1hr each way - bring it on!)
- keep on the good diet bandwagon (more veg, less fries haha)
- interior paint and source trim for 2 windows (this will be hard as the original trim is from 1908)
- roll my R hip as all this skating will get it tight.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 21 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm closing in on IMFL, my first ironman distance and the volume is really starting to build. Training is going well but it seems like it's getting dark so early now, that evening bike rides are relegated to the trainer. I'm starting to think through the logistics of race day and would love to hear what worked, what didn't work for those who have completed IM distance.
Quote Reply