Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race?
Quote | Reply
So I am sitting under a tent here at Ironman Wisconsin waiting for the RD to come talk to me. Apparently, before I arrived at the finish, Mike Reilly made an announcement that there were two pros racing and they wouldn't be counted in the results. Does any one know if I can be removed from the results. Also, if I decide to turn my pro license next year, could I potentially accept a Kona slot? Although I didn't expect a finisher banner or hoopla, but to hear that 3rd place guy was called an Ironman Champion and overall winner seems a huge slap in the face. It has already caused a huge confusion with people after the race. "You were the winner". "well, not according to Mike Reilly but thank you :)"

Can anyone find and language in anything that would explain their actions?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found this on the results page just now:

Welcome to the 2015 IRONMAN Wisconsin

Please note that the 2015 IRONMAN Wisconsin is an age group only race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From USAT:
Athletes registered as elites/pros CAN compete in events with less than $5,000 prize purses but: o They are competing in events according to the age group rules of USAT, not pro/elite rules; o They cannot accept age group awards or be included in those results; they can be listed in the overall finish position and receive any prizes offered for overall placing.

Sounds like you have the latter agruement.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never understand the language. I am not sure if that means events with less $5000. Pro compete in racing all the time they are pro races. Most pros do a local race now and then just to test the waters. Regardless, I have a message in to Charlie.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Sep 13, 15 16:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From WTC

PROFESSIONAL STATUS:
Any athlete holding elite/ professional status from their National Triathlon Federation or an Ironman Professional Membership (as verified by elite/ pro status of an athlete’s National Triathlon Federation) is prohibited from racing as an AGE GROUP athlete in ANY sanctioned triathlon events anywhere in the world, where there is an elite/ pro wave, within the same calendar year.
Disqualification and potential sanction from WTC events, and forfeiture of any AGE GROUP World Championship qualifying slots may result for any athlete that has not adhered to this policy.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz3lfCF2Lne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'd be willing to chip in on one of these for you so there's no confusion on your status

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnt think it would be a prize but usat rules would suggest that you are not in the age group results so therefore could not get a kona slot, only the overall (which would be good for your sponsors).

Curious did you use your Pro Mem to register for the race or pay cash?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So I am sitting under a tent here at Ironman Wisconsin waiting for the RD to come talk to me. Apparently, before I arrived at the finish, Mike Reilly made an announcement that there were two pros racing and they wouldn't be counted in the results. Does any one know if I can be removed from the results. Also, if I decide to turn my pro license next year, could I potentially accept a Kona slot? Although I didn't expect a finisher banner or hoopla, but to hear that 3rd place guy was called an Ironman Champion and overall winner seems a huge slap in the face. It has already caused a huge confusion with people after the race. "You were the winner". "well, not according to Mike Reilly but thank you :)"

Can anyone find and language in anything that would explain their actions?[/
quote]

I'd be interested in you explaining your actions?

You are a pro.

Why did you race in an age group only race?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just removed the pro part of the race this year and it is his hometown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my honest commen sence opinion:

you going there for support to the event is a nice gesture like you go to a fundraiser 5km. you going for a overall win, i think it s not the right things to do. Similar to a adult showing to a kids race to win.

you can't take the age group spot as your current license is pro.

Next year, go as a age group and you can go after the title.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Sep 15, 15 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little more than my hometown. I went to school, I currently live about block a way from the finish. I regularly swim in the lake. I always run on the lakeshore path, and if I do ride my bike it is usually on the Ironman course. The run course goes by all 3 of my college residences.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Little more than my hometown. I went to school, I currently live about block a way from the finish. I regularly swim in the lake. I always run on the lakeshore path, and if I do ride my bike it is usually on the Ironman course. The run course goes by all 3 of my college residences.
maybe there's a local women's-only event that you can try to win next weekend
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [MeltingPot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you have it wrong. There isn't any prize money above $5000 - that is why it is not a pro race. If pro's aren't allowed to race then put in place the necessary processes in place to disbar pros from racing. $800 is a lot to pay. I could have just done the bandit thing I guess and not pay anything. I'm officially a sucker.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know the rules but I did watch you and the other first few finishers come down the finisher's chute. I realize this isn't likely much consolation but it was really cool to see a name I see a lot on ST be the first person to cross the finish line regardless of how the formal results are posted on the internet. Great work!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [ssmith2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of us who didn't see the finish and were trying to follow on the athlete tracker - what did you "go"? Rudy Kahsar is shown on the results as competing in "MPRO". Did you beat him? http://www.ironman.com/...y=2015#axzz3ldm4TYyq

Not trying to pour salt in your wounds here, just trying to understand what happened.

Cheers

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Melanie McQuaid raced Victoria 70.3 as a local pro despite the race being a non-pro race. She was allowed to start with the first wave, men's under 30, and celebrated as the overall female winner. She is listed in the results as FPRO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a bit of a touchy subject,

IE I think it was mentioned last year that it would only be a matter of time before this situation happened (eliminating pro purse at races but when would a pro win OA in a "non pro" race?)

Basically I would say there is a difference between "no pro purse" or "field" VS "AG only"

It appears WTC is using those terms interchangeably with out clarification. So…basically check your WTC pro e-mails in regards to this….am I correct in reading that you just paid the normal fee like everyone else?

Regarding Kona for next year I would say (my opinion) is no, you currently hold a pro licence so cannot get a KQ AG spot. Not sure what the rules are now but 12 years ago you used to have to race a year with out AG awards (no KQ) when transitioning from pro to AG.

In terms of OA win… if you paid the 800$ like everyone else my opinion is yes, this is sort of stupid…and a pretty predictable situation if you look at the threads from last year.

Congrats on the win and sorry that nobody has felt it immediate or proper to clarify the situation before hand.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purely from the point of view as a pro, what incentive do you have to do the race? I feel like racing an ironman where there was no chance of prize money would not be in your best interests given that ironman races typically require a ton of recovery. Would your efforts be better spent at a race where you could make a living?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Purely from the point of view as a pro, what incentive do you have to do the race? I feel like racing an ironman where there was no chance of prize money would not be in your best interests given that ironman races typically require a ton of recovery. Would your efforts be better spent at a race where you could make a living?

In fairness to Thomas, there is a lot more to life than making money and certainly for most smart and intelligent people, choosing to be a pro triathlete is not really about the money so they already are doing this sport for other reasons. There are much better ways to win money than through race earnings, so Thomas likely had many intangible reasons for racing in his hometown that we can't convert into a business decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated results show Thomas winning in 8:59:59 and Rudy Kashar 2nd. Local media has reported Edward Schmitt (3rd) as the overall winner. Such a strange situation.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it looks like they finally made things right, way to go Thomas!

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
krez wrote:

In fairness to Thomas, there is a lot more to life than making money and certainly for most smart and intelligent people, choosing to be a pro triathlete is not really about the money so they already are doing this sport for other reasons. There are much better ways to win money than through race earnings, so Thomas likely had many intangible reasons for racing in his hometown that we can't convert into a business decision.

I get that, and that's why I asked him what his motivation was. Clearly he did not act in the best interest of being a "pro," hence my curiosity. Recovering from an ironman that nets no professional gain whatsoever warrants some inquiry.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Wisconsin - Removing Pros From The Race? [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:

I am curious to his response- it is a likely a sponsor is located near by, sponsors could pay more than prize money. And as for recovery, I do remember in german fellow who did 3 IM events in a row with all 2:50 and under runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so they didnt Comp your entry? they took your 800$? and they registered you as a pro in a race with no pro field? This is strange and comfusing? i would say the race organiser did something wrong here.....

if they registered you as a pro...i guess you won the race overall, and the pro category.....

i thought you race as a special local personality....comp and for support of your local race. if not...why did you race?

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply

Prev Next