Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll vs. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Looking for some feedback from anyone that might have made the switch from the regular KK Road Machine to the KK Rock and Roll. I'm thinking of doing the same. If you have done this, was it worth the upgrade? Any pro's or con's? I know the new Rock and Roll is bit narrower than the old R&R, so that is a benefit. Really, I'm looking for that extra bit of comfort on the trainer and I'm thinking the movement from side to side would provide that, much like outdoor riding. Thanks for any feedback in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll vs. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really should try to find one to ride first if you can. I had a R&R and while it was nice, I didn't find that it was far and away better than a fixed trainer.

I've owned three trainers, the KK Road, the R&R, and now a Kickr...the Kickr is by far my favorite
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll vs. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a foot injury that limited me to the trainer. I had a KKRM and, knowing that I would be on the trainer a lot, I purchased a KKRR on craigslist so my wife and I could ride at the same time in the garage. I much prefer the KKRR. The slight rocking in the seated position feels a bit odd at first, but it provides a nice amount of natural give. I have not been able to stand much due to the foot injury (but I am starting to again), but the slight rocking helped my knees and general aches/pains that I normally get with a "stiff" / "fixed" traditional trainer. Plus, it just seems a bit easier on the bike frame, allowing it to roll as opposed to twist with a fixed rear. My wife also uses it, and although she never really had as many aches using the KKRR as I did, she thinks it feels much better and prefers it too. We are now keeping a look out for another KKRR.
Last edited by: cldtx: Sep 11, 15 20:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a KKRR last winter and used it a lot and loved it. Had tried other static trainers in the past and just couldn't get myself to spend much time on a trainer as a result.

"For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never understood the real benefit of the feature that allows you to rock a bike back and forth on a trainer.

How is that better? What is the tangible benefit?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll vs. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read that it helps you work muscles that you use when riding on the road. I don't know how much I believe that. I've also heard it limits stress on a carbon frame. Most of the manufacturers cover warranty issues from riding a trainer so that shouldn't be a reason to buy it

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll vs. Kurt Kinetic Road Machine [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a little "softer" in the ride too, since the rear deflects when you're pedaling. The movement is nice, does make the ride a bit more lively, feels like you're using more of your body instead of being locked in place. Still, my biggest gripe with mine is the issues with keeping the bike level. Any tilt in the bike when it's on the trainer will be noticeable when you're riding, and it's a massive pain in the ass. I typically have to put a stack of newspapers under one of the legs to level the bike fully (they have suggestions on how to fix in the manual, but it's rare that I get it dead on without propping up a leg).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was considering this switch last year...but after talking to a few people, i decided to stick with the regular road machine. as you noted, the R&R is larger, which means that not only does it take up more space, but it's also a lot less portable. not such a big deal for most triathlons since you can either run to warm up or ride on the road, but for TTs and other bike races, it's often handy to have a trainer with you. i wanted to be able to throw it in the car without too much hassle...and i also knew i might be moving around a lot in the next few years.

just something to consider. if you're just gonna set it up in the basement and leave it there forever, this obviously isn't an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Rock and Roll after using them with my road racing team at the shop. You get a little more natural riding sensation than on something locked in place and it is more comfortable for 2+ hour sessions, but the biggest benefit is to my bike as bikes are not meant to be kept locked in place by a stationary trainer, especially when you are putting down some power or getting out of the saddle.
Quote Reply