Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it.
As I said, I've been out of the loop with work and injuries (mostly niggling ones) so I hadn't kept up.
Glad to hear about your win.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be a little too late, but I'll try anyways...

I noticed you ran with the newton distance III s.

Do you do all your training miles in that shoe as well? If not, what shoe do you use.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [zilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zilla wrote:
This may be a little too late, but I'll try anyways...

I noticed you ran with the newton distance III s.

Do you do all your training miles in that shoe as well? If not, what shoe do you use.

Thanks

Do most of my running off road. And I use the Boco Sol. I do my pace-specific work in my race shoes though.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as you train/race with power, what speed difference do you see on your tri bike compared to your roadie (assuming you're rocking the same wheels/kit on both) on a flat road?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arca_tern wrote:
Seeing as you train/race with power, what speed difference do you see on your tri bike compared to your roadie (assuming you're rocking the same wheels/kit on both) on a flat road?

The hard part is that I run faster wheels/tires on my TT bike. I would say, roughly, the TT bike is a bit less than 20% faster.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
arca_tern wrote:

The hard part is that I run faster wheels/tires on my TT bike. I would say, roughly, the TT bike is a bit less than 20% faster.

So, are you saying that, if you average say 20 mph for a ride on your road bike, that you could do the same ride at same power output and average about 23 mph, i.e. 15% faster???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you able to put out the same power on both bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
arca_tern wrote:

So, are you saying that, if you average say 20 mph for a ride on your road bike, that you could do the same ride at same power output and average about 23 mph, i.e. 15% faster???

Yes, that is what I am saying.

This should not be that revolutionary a concept...

http://www.ero-sports.com/index.php/what-is-cda

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vo3 max wrote:
Are you able to put out the same power on both bikes?

Yes and no.

On the flats, I can put out more power on my TT bike (for an equally long period of time that's long enough to matter - like 5-10min+)

On the climbs, I can put out more power on my road bike (again, same stipulations, for a long enough that position actually starts to matter, meaning somewhere between 5-10min or longer)

And I can put out slightly more power on a climb on my road bike than I can on an equivalently long flat TT. But this is true for most people. Climbing requires less neuromuscular coordination - low-inertia environment - than TTing - high-inertia environment, meaning it's easier to put out more power because it's easier to find resistance when you are climbing to push against.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how quick does this sell out if it does? im sure rapp its not something that applies to you but maybe someone can help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently noticed you started doing promoted posts on Facebook. As someone that does this sort of stuff for my day job, just curious what your general strategy for that is and what sort of benefits, if any, you've noticed from it. Also are doing doing paid promotion on any other social platforms?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
how quick does this sell out if it does? im sure rapp its not something that applies to you but maybe someone can help.

No idea.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [habbywall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
habbywall wrote:
I recently noticed you started doing promoted posts on Facebook. As someone that does this sort of stuff for my day job, just curious what your general strategy for that is and what sort of benefits, if any, you've noticed from it. Also are doing doing paid promotion on any other social platforms?

I like the setup Facebook has right now a lot better than when I first set up an ad account a few years ago. Now you can choose, "people who like your page," "people who like your page and their friends," or "people you choose through targeting." Initially, you could choose: "people who like your page AND their friends" or "people you choose through targeting." The targeting stuff is all demographics. So I never had any interest in that. But I really didn't like the "people who like your page and their friends." Because, by my logic, the fact that someone might like my page doesn't mean their friends do triathlon. Almost always, when I'd get an asshole comment, it would be as a result of a promoted post where someone's friend posted.

I initially started doing promotions for my World Bicycle Relief fundraiser posts. That was the sole reason I set up an ad account. I wanted to be able to promote those posts to get more eyeballs on my fundraiser. I had - and have - no way to track if it helped donations, but I figure it's a small price to pay. I typically spend less than $200 on WBR advertising on FB, and I would guess that at least one or two people donate who might not otherwise. But once i had the ad account set up, I started doing small promotions - typically $25 - for stuff that I simply thought, "I'd like some more people to see this." Sometimes it was to promote a sponsor - though none have ever requested it; I just mean that sometimes I want to highlight a sponsor. The post I wrote about being involved with First Endurance a while back was an example. But now, with the recent change, where you can only target people who like your page, I use it more frequently. I typically do a promotion on anything that I think people who cared enough to like my page might want to read. The interview with Timothy Carlson being a recent example.

Facebook is very judicious with what appears in people's newsfeeds. But if you do a small promotion - and it's well received - then that can perpetuate itself. Like you pay to show it to someone, but then they share it with someone who shares it with someone who shares it with someone.

I rarely spend much. $25 is the normal amount I will spend, and I maybe do one post every other month or so. So basically, I do it because I figure that people who like my page might have some interest in what's going on with me, and - as with most things - keeping people up to date requires time and money. I figure I'm a business. And you have to invest in yourself. I don't expect any demonstrable return on any of this. I know that many celebrities - even some triathlon pros - charge per post or per tweet. But I've never done that, and I can't imagine ever doing it. I very much try to avoid any contract that has a dedicated social media clause - though that's becoming harder to do. So I guess now I just try to maintain as much flexibility as possible.

It's perhaps not surprising that many - even most - companies are now trying to request "X tweets per week/month" and "Y facebook posts per week/month." But so far I've been able to avoid that in my own contracts. We'll see if that can continue.

I've never done any paid promotions on twitter. It just seems too "noisy" to me, but maybe that's a reason to do it. Instagram doesn't seem practical, because people seem to be less overwhelmed on it for now.

But really, the best part about the FB option is that you can target it towards people that you are relatively sure might actually want to see it. That's a big plus for me. And I don't see that any other platform offers that same sort of "guarantee."

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:

No idea. I think it sells out relatively quickly. I don't think it's a "enter the week before" race. But I also don't think you need to be poised at your computer because it's going to sell out in 30 seconds (like FL or AZ).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

eBay. 42mm not 32mm.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c96d4e4d4

Hey Rapp do these have removable cores? I'm struggling to find a latex tube for my super 9 disc, that has a removable core.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

eBay. 42mm not 32mm.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c96d4e4d4

Hey Rapp do these have removable cores? I'm struggling to find a latex tube for my super 9 disc, that has a removable core.

Yes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next