Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Or the 'what song is this' from freestyle :-)

If anyone has the mp3 he posted in that, I need it. I was trying to describe it to someone but I was not able to do it justice.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Looking closer at these quotes compared to the official results:

Maybe she just mis-remembered stuff?

Like Brian Williams?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ms Miller's DQ from Vancouver has hit the news in the Squamish Chief: http://www.squamishchief.com/...-triathlon-1.2049061

I found this to be probably the most interesting part:
Quote:
The disqualification of the race was news to Miller, who told The Squamish Chief she was not informed of the change in her standing at the event.
“This is the first I have heard of this,” Miller said in an email. “No one has contacted me to date about any of this.”

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
SasquatchRuns wrote:
I think it is also fascinating that the athlete appears to have lost the Blue IM Wrist Band for sections of the run course. In some photos she is wearing a Garmin GPS watch and you'll notice no signs of the wrist band. It could be covered by the second watch, but it does look like it is missing.

I suspect it's under the watch in those pictures. There is certainly no photo where there is nothing on her right wrist.

It is odd though how the GPS watch switches from the left wrist to the right wrist and then disappears (either given to someone off course or, as a couple photos may suggest, put down her top).

I suppose an explanation might be: she started with both watches on her left wrist, and then when that was uncomfortable she moved the GPS to her right wrist, and then when the battery died she took it off altogether. Who knows, and I'm not sure what the order of the pics is, but I don't think there is much information you can deduce from those pictures.

I am also fascinated by the blue wristband from IM Canada 2013:
http://www.finisherpix.com/...a-2013.html#25229419

I have some thoughts, but I'll just stick to the facts:

There is no run photo where there is nothing on her right wrist (watch or wristband).
There is no run photo where you can see both a watch and wristband on her right wrist.
She finishes with the wristband on her right wrist.
If she did not remove the wristband and then put it back on later, and if it is the same person in all the run photos, then the wristband must be under the watch.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Bump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I don't know why there has been a lot of discussion regarding the blue wrist band. As far as my eyes can tell, in the photo where she's wearing a watch on her right wrist, I can see the blue wrist band within the holes along the watches band. It sticks out on the page for me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [tonythetriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm surprised this is even getting covered in the local news. Is she that well known in the community?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be judgmental, well, maybe a little, but that doesn't look like a 10.56 body.

I know it takes all body types, but to go sub 11 on a tough course.......
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:
I agree, I don't know why there has been a lot of discussion regarding the blue wrist band. As far as my eyes can tell, in the photo where she's wearing a watch on her right wrist, I can see the blue wrist band within the holes along the watches band. It sticks out on the page for me.

That's my impression as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I guess I'm surprised this is even getting covered in the local news. Is she that well known in the community?

She seems to have hit the local sports press a few times in the last couple of years, since she began winning races...

Miller ready for China:
http://www.squamishchief.com/...-for-china-1.1268691

Miller wins in China:
http://www.squamishchief.com/...s-in-china-1.1389363
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triFP wrote:
Not to be judgmental, well, maybe a little, but that doesn't look like a 10.56 body.

I know it takes all body types, but to go sub 11 on a tough course.......
Yes. I think we all noticed the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Yes, she is very well known. As posted above, lots of local coverage going into these events and her own successful fundraising efforts from her community and abroad. Triathlon BC posted on their website that they are looking into the data for these serious allegations. Trying to stay on topic but also informing valid questions.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just a reminder. can you all bear in mind my note a few posts up, that is a reprint from my original post when i started this thread? bear this in mind before you hist he POST REPLY button on whatever it is you're writing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [champy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
champy wrote:

But what if she is wearing this watch?[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if that was me. I didn't think asking that person that question was unreasonable or a breach of this thread's rules.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't have been out in 2013 I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But what if she is wearing this watch?
Couldn't have been as the race in question was 2013 and the 920 XT didn't come out until October of 2014. I would say that it is pretty apparent that she has a timing chip on at the same time as the two watch photos, so she "loses" the timing chip at some point on the run.

So, if she finished this race (2013 IMC) without a timing chip, isn't that grounds for a DQ from it as well? Plus there is the eyewitness account/claim that they witnessed her cutting the course that I posted earlier in this thread.

Tony
http://www.triathleteguru.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the kind of thing that could have a book written about it. I'm not saying this is or isn't criminal, but the apparent ongoing "alleged" massive deception is intriguing. Well, to some of us, at least. It would be interesting to ultimately find out the whole truth. It just goes to show that no matter how well you think you know someone, in general, you never "really" know them. Of course, I'm not talking about anyone in particular.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post from Test of Metal director regarding Julie Miller missing bike race number.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Snowvols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Snowvols wrote:
That wouldn't have been out in 2013 I believe.

You're right, good catch. I thought I had solved the case. Ha.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One question that has come up to me is what is the burdon of proof and standard of evidence she should be judged by? Obviously less of a bar than a criminal trial but similar to a civil trial. Because this is amateur sports and little to no real world value damages I don't think the bar should be that high for DQ. If the evidence presented makes it more likely than not (50.1%) that she failed to complete the entire race course she should be disqualified.

Interestingly the evidence falls into the following areas:
  • Chip malfunction/loss and or issues with timing non-reads.
  • Failure to display race number consistently throughout races
  • Eyewitness testimony from other racers
  • Race photos indicating positioning around racers with segment times much slower that Julies results
  • Inconsistent race results and performances over time.
  • Inability to provide direct evidence (GPS) of race performances when questioned
  • Segment times which are implausible when compared to competitors or elite athletes
  • Repeated instances of the above issues or combination of issues for discrete events over time

The following I think should be discarded as circumstantial evidence:
  • Claim of mental issues based on pattern of behavior
  • Body type
  • Vigorously defending her race results in site (doth protest too much arguement)
  • Twin conspirator claims
  • Switching/swapping of watches within a race

Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be unfair if we just skipped the due process, and went straight to the conclusion?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Both these threads are amateurish at best. Nothing will ever come close to the Hottie thread Khai started maybe 10 years ago. It was so big that the forum's bandwidth was strained.
Arguing if JM or DW is the best is akin to Dev and me discussing who is the tallest.

All I can say is that I am now on a 22 hour trip home with a bunch of delayed/missed flights. This thread is providing plenty of entertainment value after I got through a backlog of around of 80 emails that came in during my last flight leg!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading and following the unfolding of this situation and what seems to be a lack of action on the part of the regulating bodies, I decided to send an email to TriCan and got a prompt response.

Not sure if I should be posting the email on here but below is the response I received.

"Please be assured that Triathlon Canada in cooperation with Triathlon BC has been made aware of the allegations against the athletes conduct and is in the midst of completing a full investigation with due diligence.

Triathlon Canada supports fair and ethical competition.

Out of respect and fairness to all parties involved, we will only be communicating further once the investigation is complete and a final decision had been made.

Thank you once again for expressing your concerns. We will be communicating to the Triathlon Canada community shortly."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [lrcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see post #402 yesterday. It's the same response.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly the evidence falls into the following areas:

• Chip malfunction/loss and or issues with timing non-reads.
  • Failure to display race number consistently throughout races
  • Eyewitness testimony from other racers
  • Race photos indicating positioning around racers with segment times much slower that Julies results
  • Inconsistent race results and performances over time.
  • Inability to provide direct evidence (GPS) of race performances when questioned
  • Segment times which are implausible when compared to competitors or elite athletes
  • Repeated instances of the above issues or combination of issues for discrete events over time

The following I think should be discarded as circumstantial evidence:

• Claim of mental issues based on pattern of behavior
  • Body type
  • Vigorously defending her race results in site (doth protest too much arguement)
  • Twin conspirator claims
  • Switching/swapping of watches within a race///

It is actually quite easy to handicap this thing, and with pretty much 100% certainty. We are all athletes here, so what are the chances that someone that only can run around 8 minute miles, just magically runs low 6+ minute ones? It is absurd really, never happens, never has. This really is all the evidence that any athlete would need, because they know the impossibility of the task. Now if he or she goes out and runs a 1;18 open half marathon somewhere(right now), legit and witnessed, then I could believe she could maybe run low 6's, possibly in a ironman, but even that stretches creditability. Of course you can bamboozle lay people, but any athlete knows this kind of thing just does not happen, ever..

Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 3, 15 18:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next