Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [Power2maxNA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
R1Phrankey wrote:
I have a Type S and last ride I had a kind of hick-up of the power meter. I noticed on my Garmin 510 that the power reading was 0.
Later I saw that the maximum power output was 2458 Watt.
Well, I definitely can't make these power numbers.
The battery in the P2M is good (according to my Garmin readout).
Just a hick-up of the power meter and nothing to worry about?

Sometimes it helps if you send in the power file simply so we can have a better idea of what's going on. Occasionally there's outside interference that causes the drop or the spike since ANT+ shares the same frequency as a number of other devices. Without seeing any of the raw data, that's what I would guess happened on your ride. Is it happening consistently or just ocassionally?

Thank you for the answer.
So far, it happened only once.
I was riding alone, no other Ant+ devices in the neighbourhood.
I have removed the wrong data points in Golden Cheetah.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [R1Phrankey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear it was a singular event. As it happens, ANT+ devices aren't the only things that share that bandwidth. So it's possible no one was around and yet you still ran into interference. Power lines anywhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
Good to hear it was a singular event. As it happens, ANT+ devices aren't the only things that share that bandwidth. So it's possible no one was around and yet you still ran into interference. Power lines anywhere?

I've had the issue with single second data spikes multiple times and it's always on descents where I'm coasting without pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen that before but I'm not convinced it's the power meter. I say that because of how our unit measures power. Without cadence it's not able to calculate power so there's not really any way for it to broadcast one data set without the other...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
I've seen that before but I'm not convinced it's the power meter. I say that because of how our unit measures power. Without cadence it's not able to calculate power so there's not really any way for it to broadcast one data set without the other...

Given the issues my Garmin has had with dropouts with my HRM, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something with ANT+ or the headunit. Just curious if you guys had any specific workarounds to minimize the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately not, it's usually something I go through and deal with on the back end for my athletes. From a device level there isn't much we can do to remedy the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I change the crank arms on a power2max Type S Gossamer? One thing I noticed is this thing is HEAVY. More than a lb difference between it an an ultegra 6800. I've got SRAM red rings on it so I guess it has to be the crank arms

And yes I know I'm probably being ridiculous
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jamgam wrote:
Can I change the crank arms on a power2max Type S Gossamer? One thing I noticed is this thing is HEAVY. More than a lb difference between it an an ultegra 6800. I've got SRAM red rings on it so I guess it has to be the crank arms

It's not ridiculous, just a change in priorities. And the answer is yes but you would have to go through us. FSA makes their crank arms with removable spiders specifically for Power2max so you won't find anything compatible elsewhere. Assuming you have the Classic, if you're looking at an upgrade it'll be the K-Force Light crank arms. Shoot us an email and I can send you the particulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
jamgam wrote:

It's not ridiculous, just a change in priorities. And the answer is yes but you would have to go through us. FSA makes their crank arms with removable spiders specifically for Power2max so you won't find anything compatible elsewhere. Assuming you have the Classic, if you're looking at an upgrade it'll be the K-Force Light crank arms. Shoot us an email and I can send you the particulars.

Does this mean that the Type-S power meters are made special for each different type of crank? For instance, could I buy a Type-S with Gossamer cranks, and then later swap that Type-S onto a different crankset that has a 30mm shaft, such as a Rotor 3D Plus?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the most part the interface between each of the cranks is different. So your example of moving the Type S Gossamer to a 3D+ would not work (technically speaking we should be talking about the Gossamer BB386EVO but who's counting). If you're trying to forecast compatibility with a future bike it's probably better to think in terms of BB's. For instance, you can move your Type S Gossamer over to a Trek with a BB90 but you wouldn't be able to move the Gossamer BB386EVO to the same bike. It's a lot cheaper to think about that critically now and make one purchase that can switch over than it is to buy two because you have to, unless of course that's the goal...BTW did you guys see that we dropped our prices?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power2maxNA wrote:
For the most part the interface between each of the cranks is different. So your example of moving the Type S Gossamer to a 3D+ would not work (technically speaking we should be talking about the Gossamer BB386EVO but who's counting). If you're trying to forecast compatibility with a future bike it's probably better to think in terms of BB's. For instance, you can move your Type S Gossamer over to a Trek with a BB90 but you wouldn't be able to move the Gossamer BB386EVO to the same bike. It's a lot cheaper to think about that critically now and make one purchase that can switch over than it is to buy two because you have to, unless of course that's the goal...BTW did you guys see that we dropped our prices?

Ok thanks. I was just thinking if I were to move from a BB86 bike to a newer bike which would probably be using BB30 or some other 30mm crankshaft, would I be able to put the power meter on a different crankset? But it looks like I would need to stick with the crankset/PM combo and get an adapter for the BB.

This seems to be a departure from the P2M Classic, which appears to be interchangeable between different compatible cranksets.

Not complaining, just want to make sure I am following here.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually it's not really a departure. The interface between the Classic Rotor 3D and the Type S Rotor 3D is identical. FSA makes a couple of different cranks with the same interface so you can move from one to the other but it's still within the same brand and on a crank with the same size axle. Meaning, you wouldn't be able to get the Classic FSA Gossamer power meter and move it to a Gossamer BB386EVO (again, the interface is different...as is the hole that the crank fits through).
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Merida Time Warp 4 which has a Vision TriMax crankset - apparently it's a 52/38 Mega Exo.

I'm trying to work out which version of the Power2Max I'd need to get, and what bottom bracket if any I'd need? Quite keen n the one from tis age, but no idea of the right options - http://www.power2max.com.au/...er-meter-and-cranks/

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the difference between the power2max type S Specialized and Cannondale models from the type S FSA Gossamer version (besides the spider interface/BB difference). The FSA Gossamer one is over $100 cheaper and comes with the cranks. I'm guessing there has to be some internal/electronic differences to account for the 15% + price difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey @mcmetal that's a good observation. It's actually an error from the price drop which is being corrected...Better hurry up and order one! To answer your question though, there's no difference between Type S power meters other than interface. Our HQ made the decision that, with some models (talking specifically about the Gossamer) they wanted to offer the crank for free which is why the price is so close.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've got the MegaExo BB, the easiest option would be the FSA Gossamer, either the Type S or the Classic will work. If you're open to switching out the BB then you can pretty much do anything. It seems like it has an English threaded BB so you could run a 30mm axle as well provided you get the corresponding BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to make sure I am clear...I currently have a BB30 bottom bracket. I understand I will need to get one of the BB 386 options to work with my bottom bracket. Will I need any additional adapters?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to pull the trigger and order the type s in a day or so, just want to make sure I understand what I need. I have a FSA gossamer Pro MegaExo crank 53/39. If I'm staying with the same crank, I just order FSA gossamer and it's an even swap no need to change BB correct?
Also, I have a 2008 felt B12, is there any issue changing the battery on that frame or will I be able to change the battery without taking it off the bike?

Thanks for the help and support
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not entirely true...while you can certainly go with a 30mm axle such as the Gossamer 386EVO or Rotor 3D+, given the right BB you can also run a 24mm axle. Keep in mind that BB30 describes the bottom bracket. FSA makes a MegaExo (read: 24mm axle) bottom bracket for BB30 just as Rotor does.

This is an important distinction since I've seen, more and more, that people are confusing bottom brackets with the term "adapter." To be clear, an adapter is an insert that modifies an existing BB to fit a smaller diameter crank axle. The FSA MegaExo BB for BB30 is simply a bottom bracket that fits into a BB30 frame and accommodates a 24mm axle.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Backatit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Backatit wrote:
Going to pull the trigger and order the type s in a day or so, just want to make sure I understand what I need. I have a FSA gossamer Pro MegaExo crank 53/39. If I'm staying with the same crank, I just order FSA gossamer and it's an even swap no need to change BB correct?
Also, I have a 2008 felt B12, is there any issue changing the battery on that frame or will I be able to change the battery without taking it off the bike?

Thanks for the help and support

Correct, since you have a MegaExo crank you just need to order the Type S or Classic Gossamer. It'll slip into your existing BB without any problems. Now, regarding battery changes...The Classic, absolutely no problems since the access is through the front. My recollection is that there isn't a problem installing a battery in the Type S on that frame either but don't quote me on that. It's always dependent on the frame. My Argon 18, no problem...A Wilier, not as easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right, but the BB386 is the best option if i don't want to change the bottom bracket, correct? i just need to put the BB30->BB386 spacers/adapters in to accommodate the longer spindle, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Maddog23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to install a Type S Gossamer BB386 on a BB386 frame and the power meter is hitting the frame. I'm using bearing shields and the included wave washer but no additional spacers. Any thoughts?

Edit: After e-mailing support, we determined my frame is incompatible due to the size/shape of the bottom bracket. While the BB386 models may improve clearance for larger BB shells, it seems there are still some potential incompatibilities. Anyone with a BB386 frame may want to contact support to verify compatibility prior to ordering to save yourself some time and frustration.

On a positive note, the power meter looks top notch and support was quick and helpful.
Last edited by: dlburton: Sep 7, 15 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [dlburton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit confused (it happens easily). I want to buy a Power2max meter. I have a 2015 Cervelo P2 with a FSA Gossama BBright crankset. Is this model compatible?
power2max Type S FSA Gossamer BB386EVO

I don't much about BBs and stuff, but think my P2 has a FSA PF-30 BB. Also would I need to purchase an additional spider?
FSA PF-30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Power2Max Classic with FSA Gossmer Cranks on my P3. I bought it in November 2013 and have had no complaints thus far. This past weekend, however, the power meter stopped calibrating with my Garmin Edge 500 and my Garmin 910xt. When I wake up the power meter and start the watch and the bike computer, the watch/bike computer say 'power meter detected would you like to calibrate' and i say 'yes'. Then it says 'current calibration ------' and does not seem to register the power meter calibration. The computers do not register any data from the power meter. Everything up until the calibration works exactly as it always has but once i hit 'yes' it does not calibrate and function as it always has. Please advise. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next