Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Congrats on the win.

You were one of the few pros showing his power numbers on the IM/Quarq tracking site. I think there was one other male.

Are pros opting out ? if so, why ?

Two things. I think that still a lot of pros don't race with power. So I would say that's a big part of it. I'm always surprised at this, but it's still very normal to see no powermeter on a pro bike. I also think some people may be nervous about revealing information. No idea why. But perhaps some of the pros who are new to using power maybe don't really understand it, and it's still a bit mystical to them so they view it as revealing some big secret. I have no idea.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [tburkinshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tburkinshaw wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
1) It is the standard suit Just as you describe. Probably just my design scheme that makes it seem different. It's a stock M-2 in size medium. Just graphically specific to me. At some point, LG wants to do a custom fit session, but mostly because I want longer sleeves (to my elbow). But still, the basics of the suit will be unchanged.

2) I wanted a helmet that had a shorter tail than the McLaren. The P-09 is almost identical in design to the McLaren. On the one hand, that's a positive because both are fast aerodynamically. But on the other hand, I sort of wanted something that was more different because I had sort of lost confidence in that design. So I didn't try it. I definitely considered it. But decided it was too similar to the McLaren.

3) It got ejected. I used to have a policy of ALWAYS taping an aero bottle in place until I at least got it empty. Most of them do fine when the bottle is half full or so, but not when the bottle is at it's heaviest. I was going to drink it in the first hour or so, but I lost it very soon into the race. I really like everything about the design, so I'll probably figure out a way to make it more secure. I used to put velcro on the bottom of the Virtue bottle for this reason as well.

4) Yes. The overwhelming majority of the weight savings on the IV came from "leaning down" the tongue. The new shoe has a much thinner and, critically, shorter tongue. That makes it much harder to pull on (with elastic laces) in transition. I'm somewhat ambivalent on the lugs. I do like them on paved roads a lot. I do think they compromise somewhat the performance of the shoe when you make turns. But in both cases, it's marginal. Overall, I really like the shoe because it is a low drop shoe that isn't minimal (like a racing flat) or maximal (like a big Hoka). It has a wide midsole rather than a stiff shank for support. And it's just a comfy shoe. Put it this way. If you took away the lugs, I think I'd still like the shoe. If you changed the dimensions of the sole but kept the lugs, I probably would not like the shoe. The whole of the shoe is more critical, I believe, than just the lugs.

I've found that an elastic band works wonders for aero bottles: if you attach it between the bolt mounts/low down on the cage, it stays on so you can resecure it between uses. Quick and easy, never lost a bottle since. Same goes for behind the seat.
They are also way more secure on the seat tube than the down tube, but I guess you don't have that choice!

Thanks. That's gold.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dboatx wrote:
"Calorie input is critical. How you "feel" is a very bad thing to go by, IMO, during ultra distance racing."

Can you elaborate more on why "feel" is a very bad thing in ultra distance racing? Id like to hear your opinion.
Thank you and congrats! You looked great each time i saw u!

Ultra distance racing is basically death by a thousand cuts. It's a matter of who takes the longest to die. Essentially, who slows down the least is usually who wins, because EVERYONE slows down. But the time frame is so long, that few mistakes are immediately apparent. By the time you realize you've messed up, it's too late to fix it.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I do not want to put words into Rappstar's mouth but what I took away from what he was saying is that it is much better to stay on top of the calorie input like you would stay on top of your hydration because when you feel thirsty, it normally means it is too late and it takes much more effort to get your back to a state where you are stabilized or close to where you should be.

Yes. ^This.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
You mentioned not needing to do your typical acclimation. Can you tell us what that may have looked like had you need it?
Rappstar wrote:
I've done 500m+ in open water band only. But like most, I could barely get across the pool the first time I tried it. It is THE best tool for adult onset swimmers, IMO.
http://thetriathlonbook.blogspot.ca/...e-forgotten.html?m=1
Thanks for the link and the comment on the blog post.

Space heater + bathroom + trainer + pain

Here is Tim Reed doing it:
https://instagram.com/...taken-by=timboreed85

There are a multitude of different ways to do it.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Training is my job

i approached it with Joel as "15 weeks to Hawaii"

Peak week was 27.5hrs.

Longest continuous workout was 7hrs - that ride was 6:15 and then 45min run off the bike.

This week I am supposed to do one "activity" each day. I might be able to swim a little today and tomorrow

hey there - congratulations. that was an awesome performance. its really inspiring.

here are some follow up questions based on the aggregated answers above.

1 - do you ever not have a race on the calendar? if not, if you always have a race coming, please think of a period with that race is furthest away. what are you hourly numbers during that sort of period?
2 - this is your "one activity a day" week and then you have 8 weeks to kona. will you get back to 27 hrs between now and then?
3 - will you add or change anything to make your training more "kona specific"? will the s/b/r ratios change?

thanks for fielding these. this is very generous of you.
cheers

1 - in the winter, about 18-20 hrs. Big difference is really that long run is less long and, even more, long ride is less long and pretty much all rides are shorter. Overall structure is similar.

2 - I'd expect so. But I'm not too concerned if I don't.

3 - Not sure yet. That's up to Joel. But I think not much will change. Probably do a very similar build to MT.

Last edited by: Rappstar: Aug 20, 15 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [heartpatient] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Great to see you win. It would be even more fun to watch you, T.O. Potts and Hoffman battle it out for all 3 podium spots in October....

You're bike looks great and given that, why don't you offer "that" build on your website? Seems the best we can buy is the premium, but that version does not have a disk or power meter?

Well, maybe Rapp, TO, Potts and Hoffmann can battle it out with Boecherer, Frommhold and Stein for the 3rd podium spot in October behind Frodeno and Kienle ;-)

For the first time in a while - my own presence excluded, it's a great battle with North Americans in a real position to do well. The other big trio is the Canadian one - Symmonds, Sanders, and McMahon. Obviously Potts/Hoffman vs Kienle/Frodeno is the most interesting because that's the top-4 from last year (and top-5 if you include Frommhold), but for the first time in a while, it has the potential to be something other that Australia vs. Germany...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca

I believe the translation is "There is no way to the stars from the Earth." Can you explain why you chose that quote?

Thanks,
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Bike:
2x24oz bottles with 8 scoops EFS pro on bike. I had my Elite bottle with 10 scoops in it, but I lost that early on, so I drank more gatorade to make up for the extra calories.
2x21oz bottles with 6 scoops EFS pro in special needs.
Drank 4 bottles of gatorade.

Congratulations on a great race, Jordan.

If I recall correctly, you used to use EFS for nutrition on the bike and I am curious why you switched to EFS Pro. Any major reason why?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Bike:
2x24oz bottles with 8 scoops EFS pro on bike. I had my Elite bottle with 10 scoops in it, but I lost that early on, so I drank more gatorade to make up for the extra calories.

If I recall correctly, you used to use EFS for nutrition on the bike and I am curious why you switched to EFS Pro. Any major reason why?

It's just a better product. There's a lot of reasons why: http://firstendurance.com/nutrition/efspro.html

Too much to really detail here, but it's most essentially an improvement in terms of osmolality which makes it easier to process.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docpeachey wrote:
"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca

I believe the translation is "There is no way to the stars from the Earth." Can you explain why you chose that quote?

Thanks,
Sharon

There is no EASY way from earth to the stars. The "easy" (mollis) is critical. It doesn't make sense without it.

The idea is that anything worth doing is challenging. And that it's good precisely BECAUSE it is not easy. You don't want it to be easy. You don't learn things from things that don't challenge you. I think that's why Ironman is so popular. Because it's hard for EVERYONE. Everyone learns something about him/herself because of that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
writhe wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Bike:

It's just a better product. There's a lot of reasons why: http://firstendurance.com/nutrition/efspro.html

Too much to really detail here, but it's most essentially an improvement in terms of osmolality which makes it easier to process.

Congrats on the race!
I was the one staring at your bike while you were pulling on the wetsuit. I wanted to pepper you with questions about it, but thought best not to bug you race morning... :)
Your nutrition, couple questions:
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you mix your EFS Pro stronger than they recommend? Doesn't hurt the absorbtion?
2. Based on what you wrote above, sounds like you were consuming roughly 35 ounces per hour? Was that typical for you, or did you drink more due to the heat?

Cheers
Last edited by: gibson00: Aug 20, 15 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<My normal pre-race breakfast. With some very slight tweaks.
- bottle of Ultragen made with chocolate almond milk
- banana
- 2x Envirokidz rice krispy bar
- 6x laughing giraffe snackaroons (they made them smaller, so it's 1.5 to a serving now instead of 1) >

I see they list Ultragen as a POST workout recovery drink. How did you come to use it for pre-race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly, thanks for sharing your swim sets... and your 1650 PR. Now I know what time I want to beat ;-)

It is also nice to hear you sleep so much. I'm in grad school and sort of get made fun of for how much I sleep.

Quote:

Do you carb load, and if so which protocol do you use?
Yes. The one where I eat a lot of carbs before the race. Wink

In all seriousness, I just try to eat my normal balanced diet leading into the race and to have a bit larger portions than normal the day before. I consume a lot of carbs anyway, so I don't really change anything. I just maybe skew the ratio a bit more towards carbs in the few days before the race. Like, I eat rice & eggs for lunch a lot. So before the race, I'd have more rice - but the same # of eggs - for a meal.

White or brown? How much? How many eggs? (I proudly eat eggs 3 at a time.)

Have you taught the kids to swim yet?

Are you a coffee drinker? Tea? Soda?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 20, 15 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You seem to have a good balance of training, diet, family time, sleep, social media interaction etc and maybe thats why you're successful. So, on the topic of a balanced diet, what is your favourite beer, and how many would you drink on a non-race week?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no caffeine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
There is no EASY way from earth to the stars. The "easy" (mollis) is critical. It doesn't make sense without it.

Ah! Of course it doesn't make sense without the "easy". Guess I need to upgrade my Latin to English translator!

Congrats again,
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
writhe wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Bike:

Congrats on the race!
I was the one staring at your bike while you were pulling on the wetsuit. I wanted to pepper you with questions about it, but thought best not to bug you race morning... :)
Your nutrition, couple questions:
1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you mix your EFS Pro stronger than they recommend? Doesn't hurt the absorbtion?
2. Based on what you wrote above, sounds like you were consuming roughly 35 ounces per hour? Was that typical for you, or did you drink more due to the heat?

Cheers

1. Slightly. I mix the bottles I start with stronger than the bottles I picked up at special needs. You can handle higher osmolality early in the race, but it's harder to handle it later. I've got a lot of experience with this concentration and having it work fine. The recommended guides are just points on a range. But you can tweak that based on your own experience. People are mostly the same, but there's still individual variance.

2. I drank a bit more due to the heat and humidity. I'd drink less fluid for sure at a course like IMAZ.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TxDude wrote:
<My normal pre-race breakfast. With some very slight tweaks.
- bottle of Ultragen made with chocolate almond milk
- banana
- 2x Envirokidz rice krispy bar
- 6x laughing giraffe snackaroons (they made them smaller, so it's 1.5 to a serving now instead of 1) >

I see they list Ultragen as a POST workout recovery drink. How did you come to use it for pre-race?

It's a protein shake (plus some other stuff). Most of the time, you want that for recovery. But it's a good source of protein, which is good for a pre-race workout "meal" as well. The things that make it good for recovery also make it good for pre-workout. Don't overthink this stuff. It's all just food.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Firstly, thanks for sharing your swim sets... and your 1650 PR. Now I know what time I want to beat ;-)

It is also nice to hear you sleep so much. I'm in grad school and sort of get made fun of for how much I sleep.

Quote:

Do you carb load, and if so which protocol do you use?
Yes. The one where I eat a lot of carbs before the race. Wink

In all seriousness, I just try to eat my normal balanced diet leading into the race and to have a bit larger portions than normal the day before. I consume a lot of carbs anyway, so I don't really change anything. I just maybe skew the ratio a bit more towards carbs in the few days before the race. Like, I eat rice & eggs for lunch a lot. So before the race, I'd have more rice - but the same # of eggs - for a meal.

White or brown? How much? How many eggs? (I proudly eat eggs 3 at a time.)

Have you taught the kids to swim yet?

Are you a coffee drinker? Tea? Soda?

We buy pasture raised eggs at home, but here it was just regular white eggs. XL. 3-4 eggs.

Yes. Quentin is a good swimmer. The girls are still learning.

Very occasional coffee. Like 1x per month. No tea. Some soda - mexican coke during training, and then sometimes Pelligrino or Izze soda as a snack.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
You seem to have a good balance of training, diet, family time, sleep, social media interaction etc and maybe thats why you're successful. So, on the topic of a balanced diet, what is your favourite beer, and how many would you drink on a non-race week?

I'm not totally averse, but I basically never drink. Maybe 1-2x per year. Not a huge beer fan, but I like anything after a race. As a reference, I believe the last beer I had was a Miller Lite after Buffalo Springs. Before that, would have been a couple Molson's after Calgary 70.3. The beers after Calgary were the only drinks in 2014.

If I was to want a drink, Tom Collins is my drink of choice.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
no caffeine?

Yes. I forget about it, because I do it right before swim start. 1x scoop of First Endurance PreRace 30min before swim start. I take it 45min before in a 70.3 because I want it to hit sooner.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docpeachey wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Ah! Of course it doesn't make sense without the "easy". Guess I need to upgrade my Latin to English translator!

Congrats again,
Sharon

My "translator" is seven years of Latin... Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the win. It's great to see you winning another IM.

Re the band swimming: When using the band, have you ever tried interlocking your big toes? I noticed that I seemed to be getting better/faster at swimming with the band so I must be cheating somehow. So I interlocked my big toes as well and it was a LOT harder. So I'm guessing one can still kick somewhat with the band.

Just wondered if you had a similar experience?

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned that you do a majority of your riding on a road bike. I was wondering if you have a similar set up of 1 X 11 on your road bike so that you are more accustom to the gearing when do you ride your tri bike. OR do you just ride standard gearing on your road bike and you just transfer over to the 1 X 11 fine after a bit of time on your Tri bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next