Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Timtek wrote:
Congrats on your race day performance!

In the past, I've read that you ride your numbers rather closely. Can you talk a bit about the power you decided to hold yesterday?

Somewhere around halfway through the bike course, I felt you had it wrapped up when Lionel was not making up time on your bike split (and he'd mentioned pre-race he too was going to ride his numbers).

For the first loop, I wanted to base around 300. I knew with congestion, the second lap would be harder to have "clean" pacing. I knew somewhere in the low-to-mid 290s was doable.

Average power was 282. Pnorm was 292. Average certainly would have been higher - Pnorm probably about the same - if I was able to ride two loops without AG traffic.

Well, you looked superb on the bike and needless to say-the power you choose to ride at was good enough to have the fastest split of the day.

As a follow up question, is your pre-race goal power number something you hit every race? I'm always interested in the nitty-gritty stuff on how those races are won.

It's what I hit at every GOOD race. If that answers your question...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My questions:

• On the TRS interview you said you were in the best shape of your life but something along the lines of "in between 2012 and now you thought the same a few times, but you body did not do on race day what it used to in 2012". What do you think changed. Was it mental or more physical
  • With your kids being older, are you getting more sleep than say early in 2014
  • Some of your wins were in really hot and humid conditions....Texas, NYC, Tremblant and also a top 15 in Kona + super hot dry Penticton. It seems you have the body type (high surface to volume ratio) to handle that well. bIt seems your pace literally does not change in the heat, whereas if I look at someone like Lionel, I can almost predict that his hit tolerance will not be as good as yours. But you also had some wins/good races in cooler temps in Arizona
  • What were the changes to your swim prep
  • Will you go to Kona if assuming you end up in KPR50 (please say yes, and no don't feel you need to answer it on this forum).

I just wanted to post this picture from the ironman.com video:

- I don't think you can separate the two

- yes. overall home life is just easier without newborns too.

- I prefer the heat and humidity. Largely because other people do not. But also because I just enjoy it.

- nothing really. i think it just all came together. cumulative result of a lot of consistent, hard work.

- probably. but not really thinking about it.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PUTU wrote:
What did your nutrition plan look like? Also congrats, god to see you back in form.

Here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5661712#5661712 (later in this thread)

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
Congrats! Nice execution.

question about the wheels, do you have any idea if any pro was riding tubeless wheels,
and given your academic background, do you have any opinion on those?
thanks

I don't know, but I'd be shocked. My opinion is that it is a "solution" to a problem that road cyclists do not really have.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
What do you eat during the race and is calorie imput count more important than feeling hunger during the race.

Calorie input is critical. How you "feel" is a very bad thing to go by, IMO, during ultra distance racing.

Consumption: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5661712#5661712 (in this thread).

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Is Jordan Rapp back?

Jordan Rapp has three kids now. I think the better question is have I found the same balance now that I found as someone who had to overcome my wreck in 2010. But, mentally, in terms of expectations=results, I do feel "back," yes.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
Congrats! Nice execution.

question about the wheels, do you have any idea if any pro was riding tubeless wheels,
and given your academic background, do you have any opinion on those?
thanks

I don't know, but I'd be shocked. My opinion is that it is a "solution" to a problem that road cyclists do not really have.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear that home life is easier than with newborns at IM Texas 2014 time frame. This has to help your recovery during hard bouts of training.

One more question. At your peak training, are you getting 52 hours of sleep per week, 56, 60, 60+?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which latex tubes and sealant are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
I'm curious how your swim training has changed since you've started working with Joel? Still swimming with the kids? What's the typical kind of work you're doing in the pool?

If you would've had another mediocre swim... say coming out of the water with Lionel, do you think it would set up the day in the same way... could you have rode the your potential?

Joel and I do a LOT of band only. Like a LOT. Probably 25-30% of all my "quality swimming" is band only. We also do a lot of paddles. Probably 50%+ of my quality swimming is with paddles. Still swim with the kids, but only really over the summer or when they have vacation. The early mornings are too hard to recover from with three kids.

My bread and butter set is:
800 warm-up
15x100 band-only firm on 1:35 (SCY) or 30x50 band-only every 4th FAST on 45s (SCY)
15x100 paddles only firm on 1:25 (SCY) or 30x50 paddles-only every 4th FAST on 40s (SCY).

I typically do the 50s version of the set on Tuesday and the 100s variation on Thursday.

I don't know. I tend to think when you are on, you're on. Like, I've done enough work in the pool by now that I shouldn't just have a bad swim for no reason. If I have a bad swim, it's probably because I f'ed something else up leading into the race.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
Nice swim. Do you know your 500y pool time right now? Or similar time trial? Are you doing Finding Freestyle on the side?

Closest I can give you is we did 20x100 best average on 1:40(LCM). I did it with the distance swimmer girl on our team (Jr. Nats qualifier). I averaged 1:15.5-1:15.9 for all (1:14.5 for the last). That's solo in the lane. Good competition pool (deep).

Nope. I haven't even thought about Finding Freestyle or Swim Smooth or anything like that. I trust a good coach, on deck. That's it.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
1) I'm assuming Latex tubes? Vittoria?
2) Was your tire choice simply CRR data driven? Do you know how these compare to the Continental TT?
3) Has your nutrition changed much since years past? I remember it being pretty typical (EFS) but an insane amount of salt tabs.
4) I know I can look this up to see your pace but what is "steady" running? i.e. pace, RPE and comparison to your "long run" speed?
5) Are you still typically riding a road bike in training or has that philosophy changed?

1) Vittoria in the front. Vredestein in the rear. You need shorter stem lengths on the Super9 to use the Silca Hiro.

2) No. Tom A. loves the Crr. But I love the grip. Turbo Cotton "handle" better than any tire I've ridden. I can corner a lot faster. And more confidently. That's worth its weight in gold to me.

3) Pretty minor. I now do the OSMO Sodium Preload before the race, and that has alleviated my need for salt pills. I took 10 salt pills during the race. Four on the bike - because I lost my aero bottle - and this brought the Gatorade up to par with EFS Pro. But only 6 on the run, just because it was so humid. I took one every 5k. Mostly as a precaution.

4) For me 4:15/km +/- 5s. That's what I consider "steady."

5) Yup. Still do most of my mileage on my road bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [frenchieTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchieTT wrote:
Rappstar, nice work out there. You look great on the Dimond. I wish I could afford one of those!

I have a question for you as one of the thinner pro triathletes in the field. I am 6'4 and only 155lbs. I really struggle to put on muscle mass. When I get unfit I actually loose muscle and weight.

Do you feel the lack of muscle mass it is a limiter for you? I feel like I could do with a bit more strength in the upper body for the swim and that more core strength would limit injury risk on the run. I would like to hear your views on being (really) thin and how to optimise performances in triathlon with an excessively lean body type.

I've done more work in the weight room in the past, but more judiciously. But I think most of the way I've finally put on some muscle has just been a LOT of band only and paddles swimming.

I'm like you. I lose weight in the off season as well.

I also ate a LOT of protein during this training block. 1x Ultragen shake per day. And then usually one other protein shake. I bought some grass fed whey. And also some of the "Paleo Protein," which I think is great. And I eat a lot of meat. I think a lot of protein is critical for lean athletes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
4) For me 4:15/km +/- 5s. That's what I consider "steady."

Is that what you do your long runs at?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Wow, great race!!! You had the 7th fastest swim overall with a 51:33, only 2:17 behind Brian Fleishmann's 49:16. This must be one of your best iron swims ever, maybe your fastest iron swim??? As others have asked, have you changed anything about your swim training, or did it all just finally come together??? Current 500 scy time??? In any event, great swim and great race!!!

No real changes since Joel and I sort of found what we thought was a good combo last summer. Being able to swim LCM all summer with the kids is a big help. But I think it was really just cumulative.

Don't know 500 time. Part of what we actually did change is that I don't think I really did ANY intervals longer than 150m/yds for eons. I do 3x1000 pull sometimes - and swim them hard - but long rest and that's a very different workout than say, 300s or 400s or 500s or long "intervals." 1000s aren't really intervals in that way...

20x100 on 1:40LCM best average was my best set. 1:15.5-9 for all (1:14.5 for last). Solo in the lane. That was about 4 weeks before IMMT.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BSUdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BSUdude wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Tires were S-Works Turbo Cotton 24 front (110psi) & 26 rear (105psi). Caveat on the pressure. My travel pump reads about 5psi high vs. my Silca Pista, so that's why I inflate a bit more. With the Silca, I'd go just over 105 in the front and just over 100 in the rear.

Maybe not as much a question but a comment--you seem very detail oriented (self proclaimed in your blog). Is there a reason you don't use a pressure gauge for tire inflation rather than relying on whatever gauge is on whatever pump you use?

I suppose because it's just one more thing to remember. And also because I never even really knew how much variance there was until Josh P left Zipp to buy Silca and started geeking out over all this stuff... Ignorance was bliss. But now, I feel like it's okay. I have my Lezyne travel pump at 5psi over my guaranteed accurate Silca.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
1. Did they have carpets from the swim exit all the way to T1?
2. If no, did your feet kill you by the time you got to T1?
3. Did you pee in T1?
4. If yes, did anyone see you and can we expect a scandal to develop?
5. Did you ride down the mountain in those sled things at some point post-race (ex. next day)?
6. If yes, was was your fastest time?

Sort of all in pink, but sort of not.

Oh yeah, and congratulations on the whole race thing.

- they did

- N/A

- nope

- N/A

- I didn't even know this was a thing I could do.

- N/A

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice speech at the awards - the French bit was very funny ;-)
Congrats!
Sam
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Knowing that very early in the run you had the race in the bag, and the fact that Hawaii is coming up so soon, why did you push the run? Seems to me that running an easy 3;10 or so would have been just a tick over a long and hard training day. It is not the swim and bike in an ironman that tots you, but having to run the marathon hard that puts you in a hole, one that often is hard to get out of. At the very least, I believe those 15 minutes will cost you weeks of training, replaced by recovery ones.

Im guessing you were living in the moment and just wanted to put something down for your mental state. But that is why we have big brains, to override those instincts. But I said that about Chrissy her entire career, and of course it was not a very long one, and i feel for this very reason. I was hoping you would win the race by two minutes.

Great job out there at any rate, you have 8 weeks which should be plenty of time to hold that form. Don't expect you can do more than a couple wells of real training, but this form should be enough on the start line in hawaii to be competitive.

And great swim, I would say the best of your career. Probably helped you that no big groups formed, and just a couple lead pack guys, but did you do anything different that could account for being just a little over 2 minutes off the leader? And do you think it can transfer to the polar opposite swim you are going to encounter in kona?

I didn't push the run. You need to think of it like Dan's calorie balance for swimming. Slower swimmers are punished doubly because they not only work harder, but they do it for longer.

For me to run say, 5min/km, and to run 3:10, that would have been an extra 15min of running, of impact, etc. Plus I think my form is worse at slower speeds. My goal was to strike a balance between running as slow as possible but not spending even more time on my feet. My goal was to run just under 3hrs - 2:58/59. So I was off by only about 3 minutes or so. I think it would have been harder on my body to run 3:05 or 3:10. If I compare runs where I run long and slow, I think the recovery is longer than when I run "kind of fast." I'm MUCH happier - and my body seems to be happier - running 4:30/km than it is running 5:00/km.

You have to balance it. Every minute you run faster is also a minute sooner that you are off your feet. There's no formula to balance this, but I think you run the pace that your body "wants" to. I think it would have been harder - and harder on my body - to run that much slower. This is unquestionably the best I've ever felt the day after an Ironman. I could go for a run today (but obviously won't). Never could have done that before. Likewise, just based on swelling in the lower leg, I'm a LOT less beat up than I ever have been post Ironman.

I do start better on beach starts because I think I'm pretty good at run ins and dolphins. But the one thing that is totally clear is that I start best in clean water. It's best for me to slide into the pack after a few minutes. I don't want to be in the pack at the start. Being in clean water makes a HUGE difference for me. So I need to figure out how to do that in Kona - find clean water.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Great to see you win. It would be even more fun to watch you, T.O. Potts and Hoffman battle it out for all 3 podium spots in October....

You're bike looks great and given that, why don't you offer "that" build on your website? Seems the best we can buy is the premium, but that version does not have a disk or power meter?

Mostly because they really want to sell framesets. The "builds" are not really good for anyone. They offer them, but the Dimond guys certainly would steer you towards just doing it yourself. They don't buy enough volume to get any real price break on parts, so the complete bike is a bit of a waste. But some people just want an option to buy and be done. Anyone savvy enough to want a powermeter would do better building it up themselves.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Wow, great race!!! You had the 7th fastest swim overall with a 51:33, only 2:17 behind Brian Fleishmann's 49:16. This must be one of your best iron swims ever, maybe your fastest iron swim??? As others have asked, have you changed anything about your swim training, or did it all just finally come together??? Current 500 scy time??? In any event, great swim and great race!!!

because I know you will find this interesting:

http://www.usms.org/...merID=02ZH2#1650Free

If you look at the results list you will see that Eric S Limkemann - who was also in the race yesterday - went a 17:01 vs Rapp's 18:19.

AJ - Thanks for that link, this is very interesting: Limkemann was 1:18 ahead of Rapp in the 1650 yd, but then only 1:25 ahead in the 4225 yd iron swim, whereas i would've predicted (4225/1650) (1:18) = (2.56) (1.3 min) = 3.33 min or 3:20. I think the IMMT swim was a wetsuit-legal swim so that might be part of it, but of course monty is always pointing out how Jordan is such a "diesel" with his 5300 yd in the 1-hour swim (1:08/100 yd), IOW he was holding 18:41/1650 for a bit over three 1650s in a row. Put another way, Jordan averaged 1:06.6/100 yd for his 18:19.6 for the 1650 vs 1:07.9/100 yd in the hour swim. That's an amazingly low slow-down rate for swimming over three times as long/far:)

I looked around on Google to see if Fleishmann swam in college but didn't find any info. Do you know if Limkemann did???

Yes. He was a good D-3 miler. I want to say he swam at a Pennsylvania school... I know because he swam against my good friend Dano Wells, who swam for St. Johns.

I've swam 50:xx, but I bet the course was shorter (or timing mats placed closer). I swam 50:XX at either IMAZ or IMC in 2009.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul_R wrote:
Congratulations Jordan on a fantastic race.

As you ran that last 1.5km's you looked great. And seeing you seek out your father post race (I assume that was him) was really cool.

Good luck in Kona you badass! (anyone who can bike and run that course that fast is a badass). :_)

Yes, that was my dad.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I'm thinking on signing up for IMMT 2016. Are you planning on doing IMMT 2016 again to defend your title or will my potential presence among the ranks intimidate you too much?

I'm interested to see how it works with Kona. In theory, if you don't hammer the start of the year, doing a long build to Kona with an August Ironman is not a bad way to go... But now that I know that you'll be there...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
what do you weight.

avg cadence at first hour middle 2 hr and last hr. vs power numbers.

how many times did you think just keep running just keep running.

Do people cheering in French make you feel more of an international competitor..

toe nails lost

159lbs. 72kg.

I'm not sure. Haven't looked at the power file yet. I'll have to download it and do a separate analysis.

I lost count.

It makes me feel super cultured. Like a runway model.

I will lose one toenail

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
Great to see you win. It would be even more fun to watch you, T.O. Potts and Hoffman battle it out for all 3 podium spots in October....

You're bike looks great and given that, why don't you offer "that" build on your website? Seems the best we can buy is the premium, but that version does not have a disk or power meter?

Mostly because they really want to sell framesets. The "builds" are not really good for anyone. They offer them, but the Dimond guys certainly would steer you towards just doing it yourself. They don't buy enough volume to get any real price break on parts, so the complete bike is a bit of a waste. But some people just want an option to buy and be done. Anyone savvy enough to want a powermeter would do better building it up themselves.

They can/will also build it out however you want to take it. I think the ones listed on the site are 'starting points' moreso than push a button and have a bike show up at your house. I had them build mine out, and I like to think I got a pretty good deal on components. I did buy my own disc though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next