Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 17
Quote | Reply
tell us about it!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 17 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a bunch, swam 4 times, and biked twice. Maybe I'll update more details later.

I am mostly wanting to say that I am super excited about the demolition derby at the local fair tonight. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week!
I pretty much just exercised what I felt like. A couple of swims, a couple of bike rides, CX clinic that I teach at.... and then a sprint tri on Sunday.
Which was super fun - after our 'regular people' race there was a para-tri. It was SO COOL seeing all the various athletes and how they get through transition, what prosthetic items they use or don't use, and their amazing athleticism.

If you want my brief recap, keep reading. ;-)
In the race that I did, I was pleased with my swim which was half current aided - swim upstream but near shore so not much current, then out further into the river and more current for the return trip.
750 swim, 12:xx
I was 3rd female out of the water. During the upstream portion I actually got on a woman's feet for a good stretch! yay! I'm always looking for it but it so rarely happens!
18k bike. I quickly passed the two women who got out ahead of me. One looked like a serious runner. "Stringy" - and I don't mean this as an insult in ANY WAY.
5k run - 23:0x, I was passed by the serious runner looking lady. So 2nd OA. After last week's half iron, that 5k HURT. I made it hurt but woo, it HURT. I pushed the bike pretty good but that was a good hurt/push, but the run just plain hurt - because I made it hurt. I pushed it as hard as I could. The lady that won did 20:xx.

I wonder if I can run that fast. I've wondered for a while. A few years back I did 21:43 for a 5k, though the course may have been a tad short, I've put down a few other 22:xx efforts, never specifically training for fast 5ks or really 'tapering' for them either.
And this is post-anemia me. Anemic me didn't ever get faster no matter how much training she did. Non-anemic me sees improvements when training. I like non-anemic me way better.
I don't run a lot of stand alone 5ks.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 17 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm quite sure you could run a 20-and-change 5k, or faster, if you did the speedwork for it. Bit different than trying to run a half marathon or marathon (on or off the bike). I'm trying to run fast 5ks and 10ks now before I get back into marathoning.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a good week! Ran and cycled; not much swimming. We also had friends over for supper and I learnt all about theoretical pressure calculations for operating fire pumps. My EMR course is confirmed along with the 30+ hours of pre-course prep that I will have to do so Thanksgiving (Canadian) onwards will be busy.

This week: more cycling and running and hopefully some swimming too. More time with friends is scheduled and we have a night away in Edmonton to look forward to. The athlete guide for my next tri is out (ITU edmonton) and it's my first tri with only one transition and my first tri where check-in is the morning of. Also, no swim preview or warm up due to their strict chlorination schedule so hopefully the lake won't be too blergh or scary.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 17 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the ITU race several times. The "lake" isn't bad, just don't put your feet down or think too much. I was impressed how well it cleaned up.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 17 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
3 x swim: win with 4
3 x bike: win
3 x run: win
3 x core/strength: win

Back to running daily now. It's going...ok. The injury seems to be holding in there (fingers crossed), but it's bloody heartbreaking seeing how much fitness I've lost - I ran a huge 50k PR in May and now I'm shagged out after 5k off the bike. I'm sure the heat, humidity and extra pounds I've gained aren't helping either.

This week's goals:
4 x swim
3 x bike
5 x run
4 x core/strength

I lifted pretty hard this morning, considering how little I've done in the past month due to holidays and trying to baby the stupid injury. It's time to knuckle down and get some damn work done!

Quote | Reply
wow great weeks all around!

Last week:
- run 3x DONE
- ride 5x - 4 commute doubles plus a ride I've been wanting to do for a long time: the Okanagan Connector (97C) from Westbank to Merritt. 115km but basically massive climbing. :-) DONE but only the climb out of westbank to the summit at Pennask - I ran out of time essentially.
here's the strava profile for the main climb:

- MBB video and presentation work In progress and lots to do - it all wraps up next Thurs!!!
- enjoy my B-day on Saturday :-) DONE
- also got in 2 games of basketball - haven't played in over 25 years and man my shooting stinks :-)

This week:
- run 3x
- ride 4x
- inline once (no dryland)
- hike once
- play basketball

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 17 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey missy, I've been wanting to get my 5k time down too, I'm in a similar boat as you. Maybe we can set up the 5k challenge for each other? :-) for others to join?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply