Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? August 10 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Friday was the last day of camp :( now I am back to the schoolwork grind, and I have so much of it to do. Ugh. Main goal this week is to make a dent in that I did about 20 hours of work, didn't get the project done that was my pie-in-the-sky goal but I did a decent amount of work so DONE. Second goal is to take at least a day off from running two!. I rode this AM so today will be one day off from running.

M: 36 mi bike
T: 5.5 mi run + 6300 yd swim
W: 9.5 mi run
T: 3.5 mi run + 45 min. teaching spin class
F: 10.2 mi run + 7 mi bike
S: 42 mi bike
S: 8 mi run w/ 6 x .5 mi @ 5k pace and lower

totals 6300 yd swim + 95 mi bike + 36.7 mi run

I am proud of my bike mileage! Legs were pretty sore from it Sunday morning. I like feeling sore LOL.

goals this week - at least a day off from running, 1-2 speed sessions on the bike, 1 long ride.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job on the biking!

My week. Race week.
Good news. New HALF IRON PR. by maybe around 2 minutes, despite a slower swim by about 2 minutes than the half I did last year. Tough field, perfect weather conditions. My time would have gotten me top 5 in last year's field.

New swim course. Me: wave 4, knowing slower waves were ahead of me.
I started catching people at the 3rd buoy and after the first turn had nothing but congestion for the rest of the swim. Slower swim than my half last year. I found the congestion very frustrating, but it wasn't super terrible.

Bike: fast, rolling, only a couple small 'hills'. I stood maybe twice, because I felt like it not because I had to. A couple times there was congestion - groups for a bit, but overall not too bad, I'm guessing because I was in an earlier swim wave and my bike was fairly speedy. There apparently was a bike crash but it happened after I was past. New bike split PR. I was worried about the end of the bike as it was on a narrow bike path and a board walk. Turned out to be not an issue because when I came through it was not congested.

Run: loved the run. Goes around business campus twice, aid stations were stellar. One bad hill on the run you get to do twice. I could feel my left foot turning to hamburger on the run. Turns out it was just 4 blisters, not any hamburger. New run split PR.

Overall half PR. 5:14:25
swim 37:05
bike 2:41:55
run 1:50:06

transitions were very long due to the transition set up. It was a long narrow set up and it was a long long way from the water to where you finally got on your bike.

Good: weather was absolutely perfect. Overcast. a tad humid but not terrible. Balmy. My time this year would have earned me 4th in last year's field for this AG. Bummer.

Nutrition: Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, toast with peanut butter at 4:45 am, then nothing but water until the race.
Bike: two hammer gels, twix bar, one bottle of hammer HEED and one bottle of water
Run: some water at every aid station, one gel (GU lemonade) at roughly just before the half way point.

Parking: sucked. We stayed 10 mins away at my friends' house but still left her house at 5am to get on site at 5:08 due to the terrible parking situation. I got in, put my stuff on my bike, set up my rack, used the bathroom, and found a spot to hunker down until it was warm up time.

Overall: Couldn't be happier with my race. I raced the whole thing hard and to the best of my ability. Can't ask for anything more than that.

One of my troubles is that in longer races I tend to relax and slack off and stop racing and get bored. I said to myself several times over the day, 'don't stop racing' and it worked pretty nicely.
Last edited by: determination: Aug 11, 15 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on a good race!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woo Hoo!!! Sounds like a great day. Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
How are you?

Tried to "race" my bike and now my knee is so sore I can barely walk. Meeting with the orthopedic surgeon on Friday to discuss.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooh well done! congrats on the PR!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

Not much happening here; just been easing back into things. Applied for the EMR course (one of the goals I articulated at the beginning of the year) and booked flights to Vancouver for November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work d - that's some pretty speedy times :-)

Last week:
- run 4x DONE
- dryland 1x DONE and it kicked my ass again, then went for a 2+hr walk right afterwards and man were my legs sore yesterday and today :-(
- ride 4x (today was a holiday and we all went to the beach and loafed) DONE
- house stuff (kill wasp nest/paint threshhold/paint backside of house/remove stained glass from and sand old window frame) DONE
- start working on my final video for my master black belt (almost done!!!) DONE

This week:
- run 3x
- ride 5x - 4 commute doubles plus a ride I've been wanting to do for a long time: the Okanagan Connector (97C) from Westbank to Merritt. 115km but basically massive climbing. :-)
- MBB video and presentation work
- enjoy my B-day on Saturday :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for all the congrats! I'm still feeling REALLY good about my race. Just wishing I could maybe run faster, LOL, there's always something isn't there???? ha ha ha.
But considering my open half time PR was 1:43, and I ran a half this spring in the midst of heavy training in 1:48:32, I don't think I could have really gone faster on Sunday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know more about this dryland. Is this ghetto gym stuff (I think that is what you called the home gym!) ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the dryland training for our high performance speed skaters. Sometimes it's a tabata-style circuit, sometimes it's running + sprinting circuit, but always includes shittons of core and strength and drills oh and a coach with a stopwatch who likes to yell at you. Check any YouTube video on "speed skating drills" like low walking, one legged squats, dry skate.... they are kinda horrific and my legs always are just trashed for 2 days afterwards (I blame my ego for trying to keep up with 17yos). AP

------------------------
Last edited by: AndyPants: Aug 11, 15 12:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lots of riding - no training. 3,409km / 2,118mi in 8 days, one of which was basically off the road (under 100km/60mi) while visiting a friend for a couple of nights. Highlights include 644km / 400mi through 5 states in one day during which it was either raining or we were riding on wet roads the entire day; that was the only day we got a hotel and ate at a restaurant for dinner, after camping and cooking for 4 days/nights and 2,416km / 1,501mi.

Went for a swim last night and was going to go for a run, but something got tweaked in my left shoulder/ribs and I couldn't even breathe without pain. Will try again tonight since it's feeling better - got a lunch ride in and will be commuting to my Mum's after work on my bike.

One of the ones without a motor, that is.

This week's goals:
3 x swim
3 x bike
3 x run
3 x core/strength

Quote | Reply
:-(. Let us know how it goes.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
:-(. Let us know how it goes.

AP

Well, not what I wanted to hear. Knee is much worse than even earlier this spring.

Orthopedic surgeon report: Full knee replacement surgery is scheduled for August 26th (as long as I can pass all my prerequisites). It is maybe sooner than I would like, but it is now hurting almost all the time.

It will be 2 nights in the hospital. PT for at least 6 weeks. No driving for 6 weeks. Off work for 6 weeks. No air travel (or long car rides) for 3 months. Supposedly, by 6 months, back to normal. And yes, bike racing is on the OK list. Running is not. I will need to leave to walk fast.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sorry you have to have surgery but glad they can do it so quickly, and glad you will be able to bike race again.

6 weeks off from work?! Is that a good or bad thing? Can you work from home if needed?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I am sorry you have to have surgery but glad they can do it so quickly, and glad you will be able to bike race again.

6 weeks off from work?! Is that a good or bad thing? Can you work from home if needed?

Thank you.

I will likely be able to work from home after a couple of weeks. But I guess this is pretty big surgery. Good in that I can read books!! Bad in that I will have thousands of emails and everything will be all #(#@*ed up when I get back.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C, sorry to hear that but glad you'll be seen so quickly! Make sure you let us all know how it goes and if you need anything!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, determination! And ironclm, sorry to hear about your injury... hope you're on the mend quickly after your surgery.

I had a couple of days of feeling super tired last week, but pulled off a 1st AG and 5th OA at the Thousand Islands Sprint Tri this past weekend. Here's a race report with pics:
http://must-be-half-crazy.blogspot.ca/...-islands-sprint.html

Hope you ladies have a great week!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? August 10 Edition [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats!!! envious of night on boat!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! It was pretty sweet, for sure. :)
Quote Reply