Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where should I be by now??
Quote | Reply
Ok, ladies..esp over 50 years old. I need to know the progression of activity of a 56 yo semi athletic woman after hip replacement. I do not know of anyone my age that has a new hip that wants more than walking to the mailbox. I want to do a 10 K in Nov, and I had my surgery the end of May, and then another surgery for wound infection close to 3 weeks later. So the joint is a different age than the tissues around it. I tried to get up to 2.5 to 3 miles this past weekend but started limping so went home. Now have backed down to many short walks re 1-1.5 miles x 5-6 a week in hopes the short ones will hurt a bit less. All walks are around the 3/10 pain range. I am back to work, walking without a limp and doing everything else. i am not looking to run-that ship has sailed. I have scaled back to pace a bit and that has helped.
Help me progress this new hip-I am going to PT but I think the limited research re older female athletes is nil and now add a new hip and I am a N=1. I used to to tris-even full iron distances and I can train for them. But the new hip is much trickier than saying "shut up legs". Having a whole different converstation with the body!
Any suggestions?????
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I be by now?? [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does your doctor or physical therapist say?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no experience myself -- still have the factory-installed hips -- but I have two friends your age who had hip replacement. One just did RAGBRAI or whatever those initials are, and is back to slow, short runs in prep for more triathlons in the future. The other decided to give up running and just did a 1.2/56mi aquabike. I also had the opportunity to talk with a pro triathlete last weekend whose parents both had hip replacements and both just did the sprint tri at a race where he did 70.3; I found that fascinating and also really sweet. So, not advice per se but maybe you will feel better knowing you're not just N=1!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a bit of a rubbish reply, but *may* help --

I recently discovered that one of the rotators (on one side) had either atrophied or was otherwise inactive, causing a host of problems with that leg. Activating that muscle via PT has helped immensely, in that my brain *is now able to find it* where it couldn't before. ROM, power, and flexibility have all improved dramatically.

Long story short, in addition to building endurance I would be sure to do activation exercises 2x/day. There are some great ones here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you had surgery to clean out infection at end of June - then you are probably about 6 weeks post surgery?

That is not much time - you probably have lots of healing that still needs to happen. I would work with a good PT who is familiar with athletes to assess any muscle imbalances with appropriate strength training and stretching/massage to mobilize any adhesions from scar tissue.

Give it time and start slow - don't expect too much too soon. Cross train - bike, swim, walk. Spend the fall building strength and slowly building running volume. Listen to pain and back off. Do less than you think you can so you don't wind up limping home.

I've never had hip surgery but I have had major vascular surgery (iliac artery bypass) and there was no way I would be able to run 6 or even 8 weeks post surgery - I started back walking then when I could walk 3 miles, I did some walk/run only running a few minutes at a time.

Best of luck with your recovery - it is very frustrating to go from very fit to feeling like you are starting over - but you will come back quickly if you start slow - give it months not weeks and enjoy small accomplishments from week to week.

Let us know how things go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago at the Death Valley Marathon the over 70 age group winner had a hip replacement. He also got a standing ovation. Don't know if all hip replacements are the same but I do know of numerous people with new hips that have resumed running eventually
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! This is where one comes to hear of what CAN be! I really understand the running may be out of the question if I want the hip to last-I have moderate OA in the other so I want to stretch out the need for a second THR another couple years. But, I want to ride and walk at a faster pace and cont with tris at a shorter distance of course. I have noticed the days I do my hip strengtrhening exercises is not the day I should walk as the fatigue in those MM makes it a bit rougher. I am impatient but I am slowing down under protest. There will be plenty of time to do-just recover correctly the first time. It is hard to not push, as that is what we do.
Keep the great "life after a new hip" stories coming!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet you'd make a great open water distance swimmer. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Where should I be by now?? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admit I am wet suit dependant! And after a few extra pounds from the dairy Queen, I look amazingly like a big fat seal....not good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a hip replacement Nov. of 2012. I got a mini one. meaning the ball and socket thing was shorter, leaving more bone. And it was an anterior one. It took a little longer to heal. but I am about your age when I had it done, and my doctor felt the smaller device would enable me to keep up my activities. It took about a year, but the doctor encouraged me to do whatever I want. and that includes running. I run three days a week. It is a struggle for me, but not because of the new hip. I have plans to do St. Croix's half ironman this year. and my doctor is very encouraging about my goals. Although, when I told him I wanted to skydive, he hesitated but suggested I pass on that activity. I was very good about the rehab exercises and I bike more than anything else. if you have access to a pilates mat teacher, that would be great to strengthen the hip. They do all these horrible painful boring side leg lift things. I know every doctor and every hip replacement is different. I think doctors just don't really know how long replacements last, so opinions about what one can and can not do is wide open.
Quote Reply