Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ROKA SIM shorts fit
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

My knee is a mess and I have plantar fasciitis so I'm pretty limited in what I can do right now. Even swimming bothers me because of the knee flexion when kicking. I am doing it quite a bit right now since I can use the pull buoy for some laps. Someone on the tri forum suggested ROKA SIM shorts since they provide buoyancy without having to use the pull buoy all the time.

I have some questions:

Does anyone have a pair?
Do you like them?
Worth the money?
Any feedback on the rise? I don't fit well into low rise training shorts because of my body shape and they look pretty low rise.
Would the lower cost pair work well for me since I'm in the pool most of the time? I have a full wetsuit if I go into the lake.

Anyone have a discount code? I'm a cheapskate :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jun 27, 15 23:47
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA SIM shorts fit [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a few chicks on/around our tri team that have them & love them for various reasons. They don't seem to have any issues with the rise, but are also wearing "normal" swimsuits with them, so it may be a non-issue for them as far as coverage or whatnot. Some of the guys get a little modest about how low they are, but there's debate as to whether or not they wear anything underneath so I'm not sure where that argument winds up.

Overall, they all seem to say that they're totally worth the money & they adore them.

I'd absolutely vote lower cost as well, for whatever that's worth. I'm also cheap...and broke.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any luck with these shorts? How do they fit? Of course I am in between sizes, so I was just wondering. Roka says on the website that they stretch a little after they are on, but I wonder if it will be enough. Thanks for any info you might have.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA SIM shorts fit [trimudder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG I love mine! I can swim with 0 knee pain. I'm also faster which means I can get in more yards and a better workout all around.

I am also on the cusp but went with the larger size because my hips are wide. I got the low priced one and they work great for me. The low rise on the others would have been too low. There is a waistband string which helps keep water out when pushing off the wall.

I do get funny looks in the pool though :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your help. I can't wait to try these shorts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair and they are awesome. They are low rise and run tight. But I was told by the sales rep that they will feel tight out of the water. Not as bouyant as a pull bouy but will allow to rotate in the water a lot better. I definitely recommend them. I use to wear them all of the time and then decided that I would just wear them after hard run or bike days to give the legs a rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you gotten them yet? What do you think?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got them yesterday. I will report later today:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried them out tonight and loved them! My stroke feels normal in them vs a pull buoy. I can see where they would help with your knee problems. Thanks for the recommendation. Swim on...:)
Last edited by: trimudder: Aug 6, 15 19:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I love about them!

With pull buoy, i feel like my hips are too high and I arch my back. I also struggle keeping that rotation and "snap" at the finish of my pull that comes with correct timing of rotation.

In the SIM shorts, I can work on pull and timing of kick and not have to fight a pull buoy for proper rotation. (I think I am more of a hip driven swimmer). I am actually a few seconds faster with sim shorts than with pull buoy!

I also really like doing band work with the SIM shorts and have found this is really helping develop some rhythm to my stroke.

I still use pull buoy but the SIM shorts are by far my favorite tool in my arsenal of toys I use in my quest to become a better swimmer.
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA SIM shorts fit [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair for my birthday and am eager to try them out!
Do y'all use them in place of pull sets?

http://www.tri-ingtokeepwarm.com
Quote Reply
Re: ROKA SIM shorts fit [akbreezo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use mine for my warm up or pull sets.
Quote Reply