Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle
Quote | Reply
When shopping online, I've always ignored these sites because they were UK based... until earlier this week I was looking for Scicon cases and noticed substantial low prices on their cases versus USA sites.. I read reviews that these are legit sites but takes a few weeks to get your product.. how are they so cheap? Shouldnt I be buying all my bike and tri gear from them ?
Last edited by: 125mph: Jul 29, 15 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
When shopping online, I've always ignored these sites because they were UK based... until earlier this week I was looking for Scicon cases and noticed substantial low prices on their cases versus USA sites.. I read reviews that these are legit sites but takes a few weeks to get your product.. how are they so cheap? Shouldnt I be buying all my bike and tri gear from them ?

The dollar is incredibly strong right now

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
European and US distributors often have different pricing. That and the exchange rate between the euro/pound and US dollar can sometimes make goods cheaper over there.

PBK free shipping is slow. I have orders that took 2 weeks to get and others that took over a month.

Keep in mind that you may be hit with customs duties when the package gets delivered. Its doesnt happen all the time but it can. I've had it happen once out of maybe 10 orders from the UK.

I got my scicon bag from chain reaction cycles in the UK. They had a great price and I had an additional coupon.

UK dealers I have dealt with are PBK, CHain reaction, and Merlin cycles. Other than slow shipping I haven't had any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wiggle is the best mail order bike/triathlon site in the world.
Fast, free shipping, great prices.

I always get screwed with PBK so I stopped buying from them.

Just ordered a $290 triathlon skinsuit from Chain Reaction Cycles for $167.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Canada Wiggle wasn't the greatest for me. They shipped super fast for sure, but they told me ahead of time they would send Royal mail but ended up with UPS. Royal Mail would have meant no customs (in Canada bike parts get no customs). UPS wanted to charge me customs and a brokerage fee of $30 for a $100 package. It took 2 weeks of back and forth to return the product. If I had wanted it fast the premium may have been worth it, but I wanted the deal and lower price and was willing to wait.

PBK and Merlin use Royal Mail and even show that upon ordering. Wiggle said (in my contact with them) that they use which ever they want and whatever they deem will get me the package faster. Nice and all, but not of much use for me planning on the bill at the end of it. I ended up buying the same package at Merlin for the same initial price and no customs or brokerage fees (it came in 10 days).

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought lots from:

WIGGLE
CHAIN REACTION (SPONSOR OF ITU)
PRO BIKE KIT

I bought my sons road bike from wiggle... came super fast by DHL

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ribble is the best.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Ribble is the best.

Ribble is awesome FAST shipping to CA. From order to delivery just over a week. They use Royal Mail (gets handed off to USPS) for smaller packages. Larger packages get handed off to DHL I think? Again, fast delievry.

Wiggle is also awesome; pretty quick delivery, usually within 10 days.

PBK was great, but then they started getting packages stopped at customs and the hostage/ ransom custom fees fees started happening where the brokerage entity won't allow the package to continue the delivery chain without paying customs(understandable) plus THEIR FEE (no fucking way) I won't order from them again.

I got my Scicon TT bag at a crazy price from a Spanish site. Delivered no issue by DHL, but then I got a customs bill from DHL. I told them no one told me about customs on the order at billing or at delivery thus I'm not paying it. They never contacted me again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a saddle from wiggle a few weeks ago, no issues and it arrived quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
Keep in mind that you may be hit with customs duties when the package gets delivered. Its doesnt happen all the time but it can. I've had it happen once out of maybe 10 orders from the UK. .

While it can be assessed on any import item, I've read on good authority that the threshold amount is $200. If your order is under this amount you won't get hit with the duty tax. In truth the tax isn't really that big of a deal, but what is is annoying is the $15 processing charge on top of it and having delivery held up for days under the best circumstances.
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
j.shanney wrote:
Keep in mind that you may be hit with customs duties when the package gets delivered. Its doesnt happen all the time but it can. I've had it happen once out of maybe 10 orders from the UK. .

While it can be assessed on any import item, I've read on good authority that the threshold amount is $200. If your order is under this amount you won't get hit with the duty tax. In truth the tax isn't really that big of a deal, but what is is annoying is the $15 processing charge on top of it and having delivery held up for days under the best circumstances.

Not quite true as I ordered a DA di2 derailleur that was $375ish and didn't have any hostage fees at customs. This was from Ribble few weeks ago. I think PBK is the one you need to keep it under $200. Perhaps it comes from how much the retailer claims the item's worth?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered my Scicon from PBK and was delivered fast with no issues. However, lately, I've been hearing more and more about the custom issues.
Wiggle and Merlin Cycles are also great.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merlin was fast and painless - ordered a cassette and had it in roughly a week in S. California.

PBK was a hassle. I ordered a groupkit and cassette. They sent to the wrong address (they used my phone number as an address) which caused a delay and it was already very slow to begin with. When I wrote asking what was going on, they told me it was my fault. Box finally arrived damaged and some of the parts were not in original packaging, but rather in plastic bags with zip ties. Very odd. Their customer service made no accommodations of any sort and is a bit of a hassle because you can't get a running dialogue on an item. Every time they would respond to my e-mail, I would have to go back to the site and launch a new comment rather than simply replying to a person handling my issues/questions. Meanwhile, my buddy ordered the same groupkit from Merlin a few days later which arrived 7 calendar days later and roughly 3-4 weeks ahead of mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used both Ribble and PBK. I quit using PBK after buying two Scicon cases and fighting with them for two months about only one case arriving. They sent the second case, but it took me doing all the investigation. They are not set up for customer service.

Ribble customer service is a little better. But basically you should just assume if you buy it and they screw it up, you are keeping it and reordering if size, color, etc is wrong. Of course this depends on total cost, but I'm talking about clothes, tires, etc.

Lately, EVERY Ribble order I've placed over $200 has gone to FedEx for customs processing:( items under $200 ordered at the same time go by something similar to DHL. Those bastards at FedEx have my employer's FedEx account and just bill the customs and processing fee to them. This happens even after I've asked FedEx to confirm no charges:( Frustrating! I'm prolly done with Ribble after the last order. Customs was 27% plus $7 FedEx processing charge. They claim they can charge up to $75 for processing if they want and as a courtesy are only charging me $7. Sucks because prices are great and shipping is under a week.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Jul 29, 15 19:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
.. how are they so cheap?

I believe it is partly due to the competitions act whereby companies are not allowed to dictate what another company sells it products for.

In the UK the competitions act demands that the retailer can sell their product for whatever price they deem fit and to whoever they see fit. They can buy in bulk, sell low and pass on that saving to the customer. I believe that the US and Canada have a more 'price fixing' model where they get dictated to a little more in order to keep retail prices inflated. Which is why UK (and possibly Euro) stores are able to supply the US / Canada a lot cheaper than US or Canadian retailer might be able to.

I think (again, I am not sure) that it would be illegal for companies such as New Balance to demand that the UK not sell to the US and or tell them how much to sell for, whereas New Balance can demand the US not sell mail order to Canada or that prices have to be a certain amount.

All that may or may not be correct, or may or may not be right to some degree but I was told something along those lines by a retailer.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How quickly did you receive your bag?
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [ems12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought I would let everyone know...I order the scicon bike box from Wiggle and I received it in three days, i was schocked!!! I had to pay 70 dollars in custom fee as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What part of the country are you in? Mine from probikekit took 1 week to dispatch and it's in route still. Will let you all know when I get it and if there are custom fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Colorado
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used probikekit.ca to ship to Canada multiple times and my items always arrive. I take free shipping and it's not quick, but there have never been any customs charges.

If I know the exact item I want and have time to find it online then wait for it to ship, I'll buy it online if it saves me money overall (once you include the exchange, tax, duties, shipping, etc). Since the bottom fell out of our dollar it's made online ordering from the US much less attractive.

Some items are still worth it even with the crappy exchange. I just bought a new Garmin HRM-Run and when all said and done it was still 1/3 cheaper to buy from eBay in the US and ship to Canada than to buy local.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered an ISM Attack from PBK and received it in one week. Saved about $35 also.

I've ordered a number of things from PBK over the years and haven't had any problems w/ delivery and/or customs. I've always tried to keep it less than $250 so it doesn't raise any "red flags."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ems12 wrote:
Thought I would let everyone know...I order the scicon bike box from Wiggle and I received it in three days, i was schocked!!! I had to pay 70 dollars in custom fee as well.

I just received my SciCon Aerocomfort Tri bag from PBK. Here's the timeline:

- Ordered on 7/28
- Dispatched 8/4
- Picked up by Courier on 8/5
- Delivered on 8/13

Not bad once they got the item dispatched.. It came from Neitherlands and arrived in San Diego! No custom fees either. Strange.. the bag came with a Scicon Mini-pump.. not sure why but I guess I'll take it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found prices/shipping/customs often varies by item and retailer. Sometimes cheaper in the US, sometimes not. Have to take into account any shipping, handling or other customs fees.

Wiggle does a good job of explaining the customs/duty fees:
http://www.wiggle.com/.../international##duty

FWIW, I got a great price from ProBikeKit on the Vuka Stealth during a sale. Ordered 8/8; shipped 8/10; received in the US 8/18. Was shipped via NL Post.

I was a bit concerned about shipping, but had the time to wait if problems developed. Glad I took a chance. If price is right, I would definitely go through them again.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Tell me about ProBikeKit and Wiggle [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To nobody in particular:

I recently ordered from bike24.com

While their shipping was a little high, their prices on the items I purchased more than made up for it.

Items were delivered in a timely fashion like Wiggle and ProBikeKit.

jaretj
Quote Reply

Prev Next