Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
$150 - What are you buying?
Quote | Reply
Looking for some opinions here or just generally wondering what slowtwitch users would decide to buy.

I have $150 in Visa gift cards that's all going to be used for some type of gear.

I already have a solid wetsuit, aero helmet, solid bike fit, good running shoes, and a bunch of nutrition. I'm not interested in a BTA setup. I'm good to go in regards to carrying nutrition.

So if you had $150 to spend on tri gear that's not listed above, what are ya taking?

ETA : I'm also good on a Tri suit, sunglasses, and my indoor training setup with TrainerRoad. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, please keep them coming. I'm adding them all to a list.
Last edited by: C_Hassard: Jul 22, 15 20:18
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New transition bag: Ogio M9 http://ogio.com/athletic/ironman/m9

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gram of Coke and a bag of Weed.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Looking for some opinions here or just generally wondering what slowtwitch users would decide to buy.

I have $150 in Visa gift cards that's all going to be used for some type of gear.

I already have a solid wetsuit, aero helmet, solid bike fit, good running shoes, and a bunch of nutrition. I'm not interested in a BTA setup. I'm good to go in regards to carrying nutrition.

So if you had $150 to spend on tri gear that's not listed above, what are ya taking?

Either tires or a saddle

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A frickin' good massage. Without extras. Because I'm boring like that.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunglasses or socks. I really love socks.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on tires. About the saddle, I have the stock Oval saddle that came on my 2011 Fuji D6 4.0. I haven't had any comfort problems or pain of any sort using that saddle. Would an upgrade to a tri-specific saddle such as a Cobb one (referencing that because it's in your sig) really make that much of a difference in terms of comfort if I'm not having any problems right now? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to saddles.

Also, another question, which is just for everyone...

Shoes like Pearl Izumi's Tri Fly Carbon/Octane shoes. What are your thoughts on Tri-specific shoes? I have really old Shimano road cycling shoes and they've done me well but aren't exactly the most comfortable anymore. Would an upgrade to semi-expensive triathlon shoes be worth it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel cover and latex tubes

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either a new indoor fluid trainer or WKO4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad subscription?

Wko4?
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
Wheel cover and latex tubes

Good option. Also, you didn't mention what you wear to race. Perhaps look into a new tri suit?

If I was given $150 to spend right now, I'd probably just go grocery shopping :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Good on tires. About the saddle, I have the stock Oval saddle that came on my 2011 Fuji D6 4.0. I haven't had any comfort problems or pain of any sort using that saddle. Would an upgrade to a tri-specific saddle such as a Cobb one (referencing that because it's in your sig) really make that much of a difference in terms of comfort if I'm not having any problems right now? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to saddles.

Shoes like Pearl Izumi's Tri Fly Carbon/Octane shoes. What are your thoughts on Tri-specific shoes? I have really old Shimano road cycling shoes and they've done me well but aren't exactly the most comfortable anymore. Would an upgrade to semi-expensive triathlon shoes be worth it?

If you aren't having any problems then I wouldn't bother switching. With that being said, if the saddle doesn't have some cut-out then it is possible you don't know what you are missing. My first saddle was an Fizik Arione Tri way back in the day, I cringe how I made it work back in the day. Shoes sounds like another good upgrade, but I am a fan of specialized high-end shoes for training but they can be pricey - well out of the $150 range.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
C_Hassard wrote:

If you aren't having any problems then I wouldn't bother switching. With that being said, if the saddle doesn't have some cut-out then it is possible you don't know what you are missing. My first saddle was an Fizik Arione Tri way back in the day, I cringe how I made it work back in the day. Shoes sounds like another good upgrade, but I am a fan of specialized high-end shoes for training but they can be pricey - well out of the $150 range.

Consider the Specialized Trivent Expert shoes ($175 IIRC). Really well designed shoes, and not too pricey.

For split nose saddles, the Adamo PN 1.1 is a great option at $149.

The most speed for your $$$$ would be the aforementioned tires & latex tubes.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I have an extra $150 I'd spend it on race entry fees! :)

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Sunglasses or socks. I really love socks.

^ That's what I spent my last $150 on. Whole bunch of socks.

That said, shoes are also a good option. Shimano's R171 are probably going to be my next pair and they're in that price-range.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get a new cassette, chain and some tires. Or, if you don't have a good bike light, I guess I'd get that.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at shoes like the Trivent Expert and PI Tri Fly series, a lot of them look like the holes on the bottom are only set-up for Look cleats or SPD-SL cleats.

I have the set-up shown as letter D here:

If I got one of these shoes, I'm assuming I'd also have to change my cleats and pedals to an either A or B style?
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:

This, but maybe bring some "tip" money for the extra.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd get that sweet SILCA frame pump with another $15 of my own monies. I use giftcard money to buy something I normally wouldn't purchase at all on my own.
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So looking into it a bunch more, I think I need some new pedals and cleats. I've been using small MTB pedals on my tri and road bike for 3 years of riding now unknowingly missing out on a ton of increased control if I were to go with something like these. http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item3f5075952b

Any suggestions from anyone? Shimano SPD-SL setup or Look setup?
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [GrimOopNorth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrimOopNorth wrote:
This is a good point: If you have all the important "stuff," maybe it's worth investing in things to make your life easier: A few months of a cleaning service, a few weeks of meal delivery, babysitter for the next few early Saturday rides, etc.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was as set as you are on stuff, I'd probably take out the Wife on a spectacular date. This is a hidden triathlon investment that will pay dividends way beyond the expected return.

(That, or a race entry.)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: $150 - What are you buying? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would certainly be an option, but considering I'm only 18, I'll have to wait another 10 years or so to be able to do that. By that point, all the monthly service fees if I don't actually use the gift cards will take away all the money.

What do you think of new pedals/cleats? I've been unknowingly using MTB pedals and cleats for three years now of triathlon racing. Apparently I've missed out on a ton of control, so looking into either Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo and I'm not sure which ones to go with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
That would certainly be an option, but considering I'm only 18, I'll have to wait another 10 years or so to be able to do that. By that point, all the monthly service fees if I don't actually use the gift cards will take away all the money.
Then find someone you think is either awesome, or hot, or both (your sig other ideally, but not required if you're not already in a relationship) and make them a wife for the night. Go out and have a good time.

C_Hassard wrote:
What do you think of new pedals/cleats? I've been unknowingly using MTB pedals and cleats for three years now of triathlon racing. Apparently I've missed out on a ton of control, so looking into either Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo and I'm not sure which ones to go with.
Cleats are good. I use the Looks but some people swear by speed plays.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of bottles of Wild Turkey to help with recovery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next