Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TTC while in training
Quote | Reply
My husband and I have started to try to conceive but I'm still technically in training, potentially doing my second 70.3 of the summer in the a few weeks (though this will definitely be my "B" or even "C" race). That is, if I don't find out I'm pregnant before then. While I'd prefer to be pregnant and have to stop the intense training, I already have a base and figured I might as well get another race in. I've done a bunch of google searches for exercise and training and everyone says to continue what you are doing if you are already active, but I'm not sure that they meant continue to 50+ miles strenuous rides, interval workouts long run workouts, etc. I know I ovulated this week and I'm planning to do a long ride and long run this coming weekend so should I take it easier during this period of time? Or will I have the same chance to get pregnant whether or not I sit around or do these long workouts?

I found old ST posts from women that got pregnant AFTER races, I'm just wondering how it worked out for people BEFORE races. Basically, I figured I'd keep training and do what I'm doing until I find out I'm pregnant but I will tone it down/stop if I know that it's preventing me from getting there.

I know everyone's body is different, but I wouldn't mind hearing other advice and other people's experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: TTC while in training [wasasherpafirst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no real advice, sorry. I would train through your next race & then re-evaluate. No point in scaling back now, it's only a couple of weeks (likely one cycle of "trying") & you obviously have a good fitness base.

After that, I guess it depends on how patient you are. You could keep training & trying at the same time. If you don't get pregnant, try scaling back a bit on the time/intensity of workouts. I'm assuming you have fairly regular cycles and that your body fat levels aren't crazy low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No personal experience, but I remember reading about women getting pregant to boost athletic performance. Considering those with the most to gain were elite endurance athletes and probably a high training volume - I'd say possible without scaling back (and like the previous poster said, your bf % is high enough that you're still menstruating).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_doping <- reference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would continue to train as it gives you something to focus on. It seems like when women are singularly focused on TTC (even when things are deemed healthy/normal) they have a harder time. That is anecdotal and from my observance. You can always talk to your doctor if you're worried about it though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google Beth Gerdes. She just won IM Switzerland and trained and did some racing throughout her pregnancy. She raced an IM pretty early on in her pregnancy becasue she didn't know she was pregnant. I'm guessing there are quite a few women who race in the very early stages of pregnancy, either because they don't know they are pregnant or because the choose to. The human body is pretty amazing and if you think about it in terms of survival, women are still pretty mobile for most of the pregnancy, if being active were dangerous or not good for us (and the baby) we probably wouldn't be able to do everything we can do while pregnant.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Jul 24, 15 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you're not doing more than usual I would continue to train. Make sure your diet is good and you're getting enough rest. Stress is a huge factor when TTC. Try "pregnancy prep" as a supplement to support you while TTC. I got mine at a health food store but you can certainly order it online. Wishing you all the best!
Quote Reply
Re: TTC while in training [squarewheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am no doctor and there is lots of good stuff here. You're right there's little or even conflicting info out there. Definitely cut back if your doctor thinks you have risk factors that might be best addressed with reduced activity. But as others said it's a great distraction and as long as you are still getting a period and not too stressed, there shouldn't be a problem.

My experience which may be helpful ... take it for what it's worth. We decided to try after doing IMMT in 2012 and were super fortunate and i unexpectedly and unknown to me became pregnant right away. So, I had already signed up for 25k trail run later in September as a way to keep training. I did the run and some other biking with absolutely no issue. I felt really sluggish on that trail run and initially i thought i still hadn't fully recovered from IM but then I found out a couple of weeks later. :) Of course i worried about having done this but my pregnancy went well and my little girl is very healthy.

Other than that, as suggested, take the prenatal vitamin and maybe get some bloodwork done to make sure your nutrient levels are good. Training can impact that.

Best of luck!
Quote Reply