Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like from Felt's perspective the "advanced" frame is a significant upgrade over the "performance". The price differential b/tw the IA2 (advanced) and the IA10 (performance) is $5k and both are Ultegra Di2. I don't know anything about the wheels but I can't imagine they account for much of that delta.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
As far as an overall package of bike & positioning, which is what's important, The IAx is almost certainly a faster choice for most athletes.

Is this due to ability to tilt the pads and the extensions together? Or is it some other factor of positioning?

Also without the integrated front end it may be more difficult to get a torhans 30 to fit close to the head tube.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Man, how would you like to be Orbea and QR right now? $3K for a 105 IA is tough to beat - especially with that Bayonet 3 aero bar.

It's bad news for everyone else. Most adjustable and probably fastest out of the box in that price range thanks to the bar
At least for Cervelo there is room to upgrade bits to get to the same price but still it's easier to just get the IAx

Very high convergence in sizing on these latest 3 bikes (assuming IAx geo same as on the Big Daddy). Amazingly (given their terrible history) Orbea have done the best job of size range:

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tempting!
Rocking the Felt IA4 now but this new baby look soooo much easier to travel with due to the new cockpit.

A sweet new base bar and a omega front brake and you are riding a rocket probably as fast a the fully integrated one. The bosses on the rear of the frame for "Trek like speedbox" looks promising as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aerogeeks is reporting the new Felt IAx wont be out until December: http://aerogeeks.com/...-line-up-first-look/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much longer it will take ST to get the article up on the new FELT line up. Seems like they are way behind on this so I hope the have some additional news that Aerogeeks, TriRig, Bikerumor and others have not already posted.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's really the IA3 that's going away. The new IA3 has the same specs as the current IA4 (TriMax Pro TT crankset, Ultegra drivetrain, TTR3 wheelset), but with a $500 higher price tag. Guess Felt decided the IA4 was just a bit too good of a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I wonder how much longer it will take ST to get the article up on the new FELT line up. Seems like they are way behind on this so I hope the have some additional news that Aerogeeks, TriRig, Bikerumor and others have not already posted.

I'm sure this line-up has Dan's attention, and I'm guessing he has some thoughts he wants to take some time to share. Think about it...Felt really threw down on the industry for 2016. This line-up, at these price points, who matches what they're offering? I'm guessing some product managers around the industry are having some sleepless nights right about now because, unless there are some surprises I don't know about (very possible), Felt is going to dominate tri sales next year.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I agree. I wonder if Trek owns a patent on the seat tube storage box they created. It's exciting to see companies start thinking about integration and storage instead of just aero all the time. I want a fast bike but I want storage too!

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you purposefully seek out my posts to make me look like some sort of hypocrite?

A bike with integration that is designed properly can be a fast bike. That's exactly what I meant by my statements. Aero always but companies need to think about ways to have integration not affect speed.

All of the bikes in the past have been aero, aero, aero. That's great. But we need to store stuff and make it aero as well. A well designed, low yaw performance bike with storage options that don't affect aero properties is the perfect tri bike

Do you or do you not agree?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 16, 15 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever since the original Speed Concept good triathlon bikes have been designed around aero integration. This isn't a new concept.

And yes, I do do that because I know you and because I find it amusing haha.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
Ever since the original Speed Concept good triathlon bikes have been designed around aero integration. This isn't a new concept.

And yes, I do do that because I know you and because I find it amusing haha.

Hahahah I knew you would say that.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any photos of the IA16? I have seen the 10 and 14

I'm gonna pre order next week

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://aerogeeks.com/...-line-up-first-look/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your shop taking orders already? I've never pre-ordered a bike... do they charge a deposit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

They only have pics of the 10 & 14

It's on the chain stay

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for those who are not yet tired of talking about this new frame motif, my own thoughts on it are up on the front page.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is an innerd a portmanteau for inner nerd?

Do you have the full geo chart?

Franco has a 70mm HT, but their stack is clearly wrong (claimed 447)
Basso Konos has a 60mm HT so their claimed 455 is probably right

There are others in the same range as the IAx. Though not by much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the S/R i got is right, because i asked one of their engineers who got it from another engineer and i suspect these guys got it right off their solidworks files. plus, a 60-something-mm head tube on the smallest size, that's congruent with a 470mm-ish stack, depending on BB drop.

the engineer i talked to was out of the office. when he's back i'll see if i can get him to show me the entire geo chart, which is supect they just haven't collated yet for all the sizes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i think the S/R i got is right, because i asked one of their engineers who got it from another engineer and i suspect these guys got it right off their solidworks files. plus, a 60-something-mm head tube on the smallest size, that's congruent with a 470mm-ish stack, depending on BB drop.

I trust Felt to calculate Stack. It's Franco that I'm less confident in. IAx must raise the BB compared to IA to get that stack.

Bringing up Basso and Franco was just taking your bet on lowest stack ;-)

While you're asking them questions - price of the IAx frameset?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2,500. which i take to mean between that price at $2,200 depending on the dealer. a lot of these companies quote high range for MSRP. and, it depends on what else you buy, i would think. i want a frame plus i want blah blah blah.

to me, this is a very interesting option for somebody who wants to scrounge around, PBK, flo wheels. it's not that much more than an open mold frameset, so you pay a few hundred bucks for the security of what a brand gives you (which i can list for those who're interested in that topic).

my beef with this industry was frames that started at $4,500 and went up to $10,000. this left little room for the tinkerer who wanted a really first class frame at a reasonable price.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the new lower tier IA frame costs?

I'm thinking of getting it and building it into a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
fugly
This trend towards these seriously oversized tube sizes had better be for good reason, because this and the Shiv Tri are truly fugly IMO.
Still cant imagine myself shelling out the dollars required regardless of how much faster this bike is than my P3C (and I doubt it would be anywhere near enough faster to justify even the smallest outlay)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
logella wrote:
fugly

This trend towards these seriously oversized tube sizes had better be for good reason, because this and the Shiv Tri are truly fugly IMO.
Still cant imagine myself shelling out the dollars required regardless of how much faster this bike is than my P3C (and I doubt it would be anywhere near enough faster to justify even the smallest outlay)

I guess it is all personal opinion. I've never personally liked the design of the Speed Concept. I might concede that the proportions of the Shiv are a little off (potentially unappealing), but the IA is totally sexy IMO. Put a set of racing wheels on it and it becomes one of the sexiest bikes I've seen. But again, that is just MY opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree, each to their own.

What I am happy about though, is that manufacturers are pushing the envelope and moving away from UCI regulations.
Im sure sooner or later that will result in a fast bike that I like the look of!
Quote Reply

Prev Next