Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl
Quote | Reply
My little girl is 3 1/2 and is a little sparkler of a young lady (after measuring her at 3'4" this morning, she told me that she'll grow to be seven feet tall...). I'm doing my best to teach her self-worth and making sure she's got a strong sense of self esteem. We like to listen to music together in the truck (her taste is mainly baroque/classical/romantic music but she digs Jack Johnson and some other contemporary stuff, and of course "Let it Go"), and I had the idea of programming an empowering playlist for her. Pretty much the only two songs I've got thus far are "" by Christina Aguilera and "" by Katy Perry (she won't be seeing album covers or pictures of those two artists yet, though). I haven't listened to its lyrics closely enough yet, but the Marvin Gaye/Mos Def remix of "" is receiving consideration.

Suggestions?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brave by Sarah Barielles
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taylor Swift, Shake It Off.

Found this link which you might want to go through: http://madamenoire.com/...girl-power’-anthems/ some suggestions are dodgy (Kelis) but I like the India Arie one.

My personal favourite is not a song but a Maya Angelou poem. Illustrated version here http://zenpencils.com/...ou-phenomenal-woman/

Please post your final selection for the rest of us womens; I think this is a great idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hall of Fame - The Script (feat Will.I.Am)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! a child that likes classical and baroque?! That's one little girl. is this strictly contemporary or are you going to mix it up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a sampling my "girl power" playlist -- maybe you can take some inspiration from it:

"All or Nothing," Athena Cage (Save the Last Dance soundtrack)
"Fighter," Christina Aguilera
"Girls Just Want to Have Fun," Cyndi Lauper
"Survivor," Destiny's Child
"I Don't Wanna Be," Gavin DeGraw
"Closer to Fine," Indigo Girls
"Volcano Girls," Veruca Salt
"One Girl Revolution," Superchick
"Still Here," Superchick
"Bulletproof," La Roux
"Army of Me," Bjork
"We are Never Ever Getting Back Together," Taylor Swift (don't judge)
"Brand New Chick," Anjulie
"Stronger," Kelly Clarkson
"F.N.T.," Semisonic (10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack)
"One Step at a Time," Jordin Sparks
"Survival," Muse

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run for life - melissa ethridge
2nd on Brave (Sarah Barellies)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanium, Sia
Stronger, Britney Spears

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit me with your best shot: Pat Benatar.
And don't worry about mouth breathing. Around our house we call it snoring.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tube Steak Boogie by zz top.

Just kidding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I See The Sun by Incognito featuring Debórah Bond.

Quote | Reply
" I'm doing my best to teach her self-worth and making sure she's got a strong sense of self esteem"

She's 3 1/2? When I was that age our parents just let us go play in the dirt and make mud pies. I may be old but it was great to be kid back when you could actually still be a kid,
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
" I'm doing my best to teach her self-worth and making sure she's got a strong sense of self esteem"

She's 3 1/2? When I was that age our parents just let us go play in the dirt and make mud pies. I may be old but it was great to be kid back when you could actually still be a kid,
Honestly, it's your choice (op) on how to parent, but this^^^ is a good point. Going and being a human will make her a good human.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [Cervelokid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate what you're saying, but girls are fed unrealistic body expectations (I'm looking at you, Barbie) and poor models for relationships (I'm looking at you, Disney) from a very young age. Erring on the side of strong self esteem is probably not a bad thing.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
I appreciate what you're saying, but girls are fed unrealistic body expectations (I'm looking at you, Barbie) and poor models for relationships (I'm looking at you, Disney) from a very young age. Erring on the side of strong self esteem is probably not a bad thing.
I suppose those are fair reasons. Also nice to have someone in your family who appreciates good music ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ten year old is really enjoying Lindsey Stirling.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help this mouth-breathing knuckle-dragging dad to program an empowering playlist for his little girl [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson
  • Stronger Kelly Clarkston
  • Da Funk Daft Punk
  • Cooler as Ekke Jack Parrow
  • Bullet and a Target Citizen Cope
  • Deep End Swollen Members
  • Son's Gonna Rise Citizen Come
  • Sunshine Atmosphere
  • Que Onda Guero Beck
  • Snow Hey O Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Dancing on my Own Robyn
  • Float On Modest Mouse
  • Work Bitch Britney Spears <--- okay maybe not this one!!
  • The General Dispatch
  • California Dreamin DJ Sammy
  • Roady Fat Freddy's Drop
  • That Old Pair of Jeans Fatboy Slim
  • Floetic Floetry
  • I love it Icona Pop
  • Dream Machine Mark Farina
  • This Must be the place- talking heads
  • Electric Feel - MGMT
  • Gentleman - PSY
  • I don't feel like dancing the scissor sisters
  • Filthy Gorgeous the scissor sisters
  • I can't stop- flux pavillion
  • King without a crown
  • Float on- modest mouse
  • Try Sweatshop Union
  • Heartbreak Hotel Hex Hector Remix Whitney Houston
  • The beginning- RuPaul
  • Sissy that walk- Rupaul
  • Looking good feeling gorgeous- RuPaul
  • Can't C Me 2 Pac & George Clinton
  • Amber 311
  • Say you'll be there- spice girls
  • Call Me Maybe- Carly Rae Jepson
  • This one's for the girls- Martina McBride
  • Father and Daughter- Paul Simon
  • Walk Away - Kelly Clarkston
  • Stronger (What doesn't kill you)- Kelly Clarkston
Okay, on second thought some of these aren't appropriate. But certainly "this one's for the girls" and Father and Daughter...

Very sweet of you to do this for your daughter!
Last edited by: PayalaRenta: Jul 21, 15 0:31
Quote Reply