Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages
Quote | Reply
looking for water bottle cages that dont eject bottles on longer/bumpy rides. are there any cages out there equivalent to xlab gorilla or are they the gold standard?
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used a GC, but I think the consensus is that they are the gold standard. Many people (myself included) also use the Specialized Rib Cages with a lot of success. I've never lost a bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two cages on my bike - one BTA and one behind the seat. Both are gorilla cages. Of everything I've used they are far and away the best.

Quote | Reply
Never used the xlab gorilla (and I don't think I ever since it appears to be $50/cage)
The Bontrager RL tri cage has worked well for me, though. Never ejected a bottle.
http://www.bontrager.com/model/07846
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
looking for water bottle cages that dont eject bottles on longer/bumpy rides. are there any cages out there equivalent to xlab gorilla or are they the gold standard?
The profile Kage is perfect. I use it to hold a 1000ml bottle lashed to saddle and it stays rock solid. Seven dollars, only 10g heavier than the XLab. Spend remaining $43 on ... well, pretty much anything that's a better use of your money.

(I have to admit, though, that the gorilla cage is an archetype of a lot of the things i hate about triathlon: it's excessive, overpriced, over engineered in carbon, and is a XLab solution developed to solve a problem created by using a XLab behind the saddle carrier.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use any cage then loop a rubber band through the cage and on to the bottle. Never ejected a bottle using a rubber band. And you can get a hundred rubber bands for a few bucks then buy beer and donuts with the rest.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arundel makes some pretty good bottle holders

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, xlab is the gold std

Xlab's highest grip cage (xt) is a step above the rest, including my old fav Arundel mandible.
Last edited by: Nick B: Jun 18, 15 15:01
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [rickthebrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rickthebrick wrote:
Never used the xlab gorilla (and I don't think I ever since it appears to be $50/cage)
The Bontrager RL tri cage has worked well for me, though. Never ejected a bottle.
http://www.bontrager.com/model/07846

Stop.. just stop. Don't take this advice.. You are a n=1

Sorry but the RL cage is flimsy and not intended for use outside of the frame. Great cage for that but not for much else. I have horror stories about launched bottles and ruined races because of it.

Switched to Gorilla BTA and Gorilla XT behind the saddle. GOLD. STANDARD. Nothing else compares.

EDIT: Don't be like me and spend $5k+ on the top of the line Trek SC with fancy race wheels and then penny pinch $60 (difference between 2 cheap cages vs 2 gorilla cages)... to then have your B race ruined because of launched bottles and dehydration. Seriously, just spend the money.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Jun 18, 15 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not looking to hijack this thread, but it is along the same lines...I just received the XLab single mount with a Gorilla cage. It takes a Gorilla to get it out of there!! Do they loosen up? They might not eject, but don't do much good if I can't get the darn thing out of there! People behind me at Victoria probably had a good chuckle as I wrestled the gorilla!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://blog.rappstar.com/...-ejection-cages.html

$10 bottle cage + elastic cord > overpriced xlab cage
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hardidu wrote:
I've never used a GC, but I think the consensus is that they are the gold standard. Many people (myself included) also use the Specialized Rib Cages with a lot of success. I've never lost a bottle.

+1 on the Ribcage, and also on the Blackburn Slick

What makes both of these cages good is that they don't rely on a gap in the front of the cage, so they don't lose grip when the cage is mounted bolts-up and the bottle bounces.

The Xlab has a central gap, so they just made it super stiff.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried several Specialized rib cages and though they seem to hold the bottles when still intact, they do break easily mounted behind the saddle (broke 3) and will loose your bottle after that. Have lost bottles in races because of that on rough sections.

Do not have this problem with the gorilla's.
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^this^^^^^
Bought gorilla xt after 2 broken specialized.....doesn't make it any cheaper.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Specialized Rib cage works great on the frame but for me it didn't work well as BTA cage, the bottle would keep working its way forward on big bumps and I'd have to keep shoving it back so I wouldn't lose it. Never used it behind the saddle but based on my experience no way would I trust it back there. I'm currently using a regular Gorilla cage in front for my BTA bottle and an XT cage behind the saddle. Never lost a bottle with either and have ridden some very rough roads. The XT cage is almost too tight, it's hard to get a bottle in and out, might try the regular Gorilla in back instead.
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
^^^^^this^^^^^
Bought gorilla xt after 2 broken specialized.....doesn't make it any cheaper.

+1 same here, broke a specialized then went Gorilla and never looked back.
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [bp48072] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorrilla

After trying three different cages and not to mention all the "Riggin" with rubber bands
I got so pissed off! Nothing worse than telling your ridin group to "hold up...i have to go back and get my bottle"

Screw it...pay the $$$ and your will never have a problem again
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Profile Kage behind the saddle.

Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the same thing right now. Subscribed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These....

http://www.amazon.com/...i_detailpage_o04_s00

Under $10 And in 3 seasons of training and racing I have NEVER lost a bottle.

I never weighed them but come on. If I ever get down to 5% body fat then I will start paying a premium for titanium and carbon parts that save the weight of a handful of pennies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: is there anything equivalent to xlab gorilla cages [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Arundel. Half the weight, twice the grip

http://www.gudmundsnilstveit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jakemet85 wrote:
Arundel Mandible is the gold standard in my opinion.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like other said, any cage with a rubber band/those old livestrong type.

I dunno the big deal with gorilla cages. They're giant, grip really tight, expensive and funny enough, I saw a bottle launch out of one a few weekends ago at a training camp.
Quote Reply