Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12 am to 12 am the next day is a calendar day isn't it? :)

It's not really up to me though. He is going after a Guinness world record so it's really up to them decide.

I hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling this whole challenge is more about the record than it is about raising awareness. I barely see anything on social media or in the news about child obesity. How many people outside the triathlon world know about this challenge? For a guy that wants to raise awareness about child obesity, it doesn't seem much awareness is being raised. I hope he proves me wrong though.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 15, 15 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to say the same thing, but you did so much better than what I had written and then subsequently erased.

Its pretty cool to watch this, even if it is somewhat difficult to keep up with the way the social media is being handled, that and my current disdain for facebook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
stevej wrote:

His whole goal is 50 ironmans in 50 DAYS in 50 sates. A day is 24 hours... 12 AM to 12 AM the next day. Don't finish by midnight = didn't do an Ironman that day.

Is a day defined as 24 hours or as a calendar day? He is finishing way before 24 hours expires so if you're saying they don't count because he starts at 8am and isn't done in 16 hours there really is no pleasing you.

There isn't any pleasing any of the "haters"

It's fucking annoying
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
badgertri wrote:
stevej wrote:

His whole goal is 50 ironmans in 50 DAYS in 50 sates. A day is 24 hours... 12 AM to 12 AM the next day. Don't finish by midnight = didn't do an Ironman that day.

Is a day defined as 24 hours or as a calendar day? He is finishing way before 24 hours expires so if you're saying they don't count because he starts at 8am and isn't done in 16 hours there really is no pleasing you.

It's fucking annoying

No where does he state that he has to do one per day for 50 days (I may be wrong here). All he is saying is 50 in 50 days. My take is he could actually do a few back to back (if that is possible) and then rest for a day if he wished. Anyway, who really cares - still bigger undertaking than ONE WTC 17 hours.

RIDE EM COWBOY !!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James really didn't establish any rules, so you can't blame anyone from discussing what the implied rules may or may not be.

For instance if I was just reading about this now I would have assumed no drafting or IV fluids, but that is fair game here. It is accepted that IV fluids are ok at RAAM, but most endurance events don't allow it. Drafting from pacers typically wouldn't be allowed, but is ok here.

I believe the deca rules are that you have until the the set start time of the next day to finish. So there is precedence there. Also, given that he is taking long breaks and such the implied rule might simply be that he finishes all 50 in a 50 day period. No matter, I wouldn't want him to stop simply because he went past midnight.

TylerJ wrote:
badgertri wrote:
stevej wrote:

It's fucking annoying
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, my emotions get the best of me sometimes.

In the deca it starts every morning at say 7 am. After that, you have until 7 am the next day to finish.

I also don't see anywhere that this a world record attempt, I don't even know if Guiness is on hand at any of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on his website story page it is implied that this is an attempt at a third Guinness WR.
http://www.ironcowboy.co/story/

Reading that I would assume that it is one, but who knows. Maybe someone can ask.
If so it would be nice to know what the parameters are if any.

TylerJ wrote:
You're right, my emotions get the best of me sometimes.

In the deca it starts every morning at say 7 am. After that, you have until 7 am the next day to finish.

I also don't see anywhere that this a world record attempt, I don't even know if Guiness is on hand at any of these.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Don't agree.

He has to do 50 Ironman (distances) in 50 days.

I don't even see it as an issue if he did

so the following day he didn't have to run as far.

Either way it's good he is trying and it's only the negative people sitting in their office doing the same old shit each day that are the haters.

If I could train full time and still afford to live, it would be great and I'd do it.

Much better than going to meetings ans sitting at a desk all day.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Last edited by: PJC: Jun 15, 15 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
stevej wrote:

Don't agree.
Either way it's good he is trying and it's only the negative people sitting in their office doing the same old shit each day that are the haters.
If I could train full time and still afford to live, it would be great and I'd do it.

I don't know man, this guy James has got to be f***ing totally exhausted already, with 40 more to go after today. Training full-time is one of those things that sounds good in concept but is actually really f***ing hard to do in practice. SBR-ing 4 to 8 hr/day, 6 to 7 days/wk, 50 wk/yr, is no picnic in the park. I'm simply basing this on my own experience, and maybe i just don't have enough ST genes to do it, but for me, 2.5 hr/day of training is about my limit on a year-round basis, e.g. (2.5 hr/day)(350 day/training year) = 875 hr/year. I have never been able to get past this annual total without breaking down. Just my $0.02 but this makes me even more amazed at what James is trying to do, as he's squeezing about 700 hrs of training into just 50 days. This is a total ball-buster:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His gimmick his rules.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
James Brooman just ran across Australia from Perth to Sydney with nothing more than what amounts to a stroller that he pushed along that carried his gear to camp out. He ran around 2560 miles in 82 days. There was a 60+ year old couple that ran the perimeter of Australia doing a marathon every single day for 366 days.

Is James' 50/50/50 audacious and foolish? Maybe....

This is another league altogether compared to the two examples you have given.

Running 26 or 30 miles/day is so much simpler by comparison. These distances allow much more recovery time and don't have the travel eating into each day's recovery. Even if pushing a stroller....a lot of Aust is pretty flat, so once it is rolling it wouldn't take too much effort from Brooman to keep it moving.

IC would be so much better off leaving the wife and kids at home, perhaps having them visit once a week or so to give him a mental lift.

Unfortunately, I can't see him finishing this, as much as I would like to see him do so.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
The geography of this is what is really going to make or break it. We know a triple-deca is physically possible and that this guy is capable of that. It's also well established that the limiting factor for endurance events is not physical strength, but mental (look at the guy who was trying to do a triple deca and fractured his femur early in the attempt, and did at least one more full IM before being forced to stop). I have little doubt that baring physical injury the Cowboy can complete the plan. It's going to come down to whether or not the schedule, travel, and logistics create a situation where he is mentally incapable of continuing. The sleep issue is key, if he is unable to get enough sleep, not just rest, his chances go down the crapper. If you've ever been chronically sleep deprived you understand what I mean, it is physically exhausting and seriously hampers judgement to be operating on only a few hours of sleep a night.

As he moves further across the US into the eastern states I expect the travel and logistics to get slightly easier, simply in terms of distance and time between days. If they capitalize on this I don't see any issues with the completion of the 50/50/50. If they continue to have difficulties, or suffer some time of mechanical breakdown or other logistical calamity I think the effort may fall on its face.

I really hope he pulls this off, but I can see so many things they could have done to make this 'easier' and go smoother than it seems to be going.

I agree with you about logistics being a major contender for not completing.

I do think you're underestimating the physical demands though.

Even the example you give of a guy pulling out with a fracture is a perfect example of a physical injury ending a comparable endurance attempt. Also you say lack of sleep is "physically exhausting"......yes, that's a physical manifestation. These are the types of physical things that are likely to derail this.

Logistics, injury, fatigue through lack of recovery.......... lot's of problems with this.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
stevej wrote:
........ he did 2 back-to-back IMs without cycling shoes. he dragged a kid around (literally, in a raft) another day.

I don't think he can afford to do these types of things if he is going to finish this. Certainly not at this stage when his times are becoming progressively slower.

If he does finish this, he will get to a point a few weeks in when his times have become relatively stable and sustainable. When he has the "routine" of an IM a day plus travel down pat, then he has the "luxury" of playing around a bit.

The trend of slowing times doesn't look encouraging at this point.
Last edited by: satanellus: Jun 16, 15 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His slowing times don't bother me when you see that he is stopping for blood work ( that came back amazing), naps, massages....This is all a part of the plan.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many back to back full distance triathlons have you done? Have you ever done a single one?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Day 7 - Arizona - 1:44/7:39/6:39 = 15:02
Day 8 - New Mexico - 1:33/9:17 (6:20 moving)/ ~6:30 = ~17:30
Day 9 - Colorado - 1:38/7:38/6:23 = 15:39
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
PJC wrote:
stevej wrote:

Don't agree.

I don't know man, this guy James has got to be f***ing totally exhausted already, with 40 more to go after today. Training full-time is one of those things that sounds good in concept but is actually really f***ing hard to do in practice. SBR-ing 4 to 8 hr/day, 6 to 7 days/wk, 50 wk/yr, is no picnic in the park. I'm simply basing this on my own experience, and maybe i just don't have enough ST genes to do it, but for me, 2.5 hr/day of training is about my limit on a year-round basis, e.g. (2.5 hr/day)(350 day/training year) = 875 hr/year. I have never been able to get past this annual total without breaking down. Just my $0.02 but this makes me even more amazed at what James is trying to do, as he's squeezing about 700 hrs of training into just 50 days. This is a total ball-buster:)

Protour cyclists race around 80-100 hours in a span of 3 weeks in a non weight bearing mode. Many posters on ST have done that in 3 weeks on bike tours at low intensity. It is totally possible when you take the running out. I bet you could swim+bike 10 hours per day for 50 days if you put your mind to it. But then add the running and the travel logistics and that would make it insanely tough. More power to this guy. Personally I think there are better ways to raise awareness of childhood obesity that have much more lasting impact (if he volunteered to coach a kid soccer team or swim team, spending 50 days doing that, will impact multiple kids for a lifetime....doing 50 days of IM will create hype around himself for some time, but likely will get few kids off the nintendo)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tacking this on to the end. from FB:

In light of the new start time of 8am tomorrow in OKC, here is a VERY tentative schedule for the day:
8-10am swim: Mercy Fitness Center
10am-6pm bike: Check the page for route updates
6-11pm run: same run course for now. Check this page for updates/changes
7pm: Iron Cowboy 5k - come run with James!
We welcome ANYONE who wants to come ride or run with James. It can be 5k, 10k, or the entire distance. Come join the Cowboy as he completes event #11!

and i'm a sick puppy because what immediately came to mind on seeing this picture was "control and release, baby, control and release..."

enjoy!

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 16, 15 5:41
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure he didn't tow the kid around in the raft, but that somebody else did it while swimming with/next to James.
Last edited by: mplamour: Jun 16, 15 6:26
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Day 7 - Arizona - 1:44/7:39/6:39 = 15:02
Day 8 - New Mexico - 1:33/9:17 (6:20 moving)/ ~6:30 = ~17:30
Day 9 - Colorado - 1:38/7:38/6:23 = 15:39

There you have it! It reminds me of the Legendary Walt Stack. He competed in the first Ironman. Slowtwitch's own John Post MD posts on his blog about Walt, who was 73 at the time, swam 3 hours, leisurely rode the bike, then got tired on the run, so he took a nap. He then got hungry, stopped at a restaurant and saw the results in the morning paper for "yesterday's race."

http://www.johnpostmd.com/2012/11/the-amazing-walt-stack-2620-hawaii.html

Stack was ready for the event and at 73, the oldest competitor to attempt the distances. After a 3 hour swim and leisurely bike, history has it that he was pretty tired on the run. So, he just eased off the course, lay down in someone’s yard, and took a nap. Once refreshed, he set off on his 26 mile jaunt and near it’s conclusion got hungry. So what do you do when your stomach starts talking, head for the restaurant naturally. The Kona Ranch House which used to be on Palani Road but is no more. The way I heard it, he was eating his waffle breakfast, reading the morning paper, with the results of “yesterday’s” Ironman race in it. The race in which he was still competing!

Walt is an Ironman and a Legend. I hope Iron Cowboy becomes one as well!

Rock on, Iron Cowboy! We'll see you in the Poconos.

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
His slowing times don't bother me when you see that he is stopping for blood work ( that came back amazing), naps, massages....This is all a part of the plan.

Doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

His starting and finishing times are getting later. That is increasing the chance that a logistic/travel screw up will impact on the following day.

Late starts and naps indicate he is not recovering from the previous day.

I doubt blood analysis is going to give too many meaningful results this early on, though I'm happy to be corrected by those more knowledgeable. Creatine kinase levels will be ugly soon but that's hardly something he will be able to do anything about.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like he is yet to hit a sustainable routine and is already playing catch up.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wednesday in Texas may be a bit of a challenge....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I guess we shall see what happens...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Harbo99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbo99 wrote:
Wednesday in Texas may be a bit of a challenge....

You see challenge. I see tailwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Alright, I guess we shall see what happens...

.......and hopefully IC will keep us entertained for another 41 days and 100+ pages. :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next