Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What in life had not started as a gimmick?

Even in the narrow scope of IM racing, the folklore tales of the bar bet in 1978 was a gimmick. Now nearly 30 years later it is a huge multi-million dollar business.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both James, his coach, and his crew knew that logistically this first 10 days were going to be the "hardest" They expect everything to even out after tomorrow
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
If it does get some publicity and looks like he's going to make it, WTC might be smart to actually allow him to call them 'Ironmans' and help him market the hell out of it....

No way in hell this would happen, unless WTC wants their new slogan to be "Ironman - our races are so easy you can do 50 of them back-to-back-to-back-to...."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then get out of this thread. see ya.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyler, you seem rather plugged in. do you know if they have "ambassdors" for AK and OK, WV, Maryland and delaware? are they overwhelmed with volunteers? do they have massage people lined up for the next couple weeks?

also (not to you Ty but to avoid making a million posts) Erik is making up for his previous lackadasial presence on FB. :)

"I just talked to Gene the coordinator in New Mexico! He said James is a stud and we will not be disappointed! The crew is exhausted and we will need help with some food, water, and ICE! If there is anyone who can help me with SAG wagon so Garrett and I can do some riding that would be great....Gene has no doubts after meeting James that he is going to get this done! Man I am PUMPED!"

swim apparently finished at 9am. still living vicariously through you guys as sitting under what will likely be a hurricane in the Gulf in the coming days...

ok, i have no idea what this is about but apparently there is some periscope thing that is doing interactive live feeding. but i'm hopeless in figuring it out.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 14, 15 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Post deleted by aahydraa [ In reply to ]
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure that was referenced on page 11 or 12.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

from last night's run. too cute.

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 14, 15 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [7718] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7718 wrote:

No.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew it. Chance of attention whore having the largest IM tattoo that would fit on the back of his calf: 100%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I encourage you to use the contact tab on his website, or use Twitter or Facebook to get a hold of his crew.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
7718 wrote:

No.

Why?

If you hate this so much, why be here??\
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:
7718 wrote:

No.

Why?

Just because he thinks it's a gimmick and doomed for failure doesn't mean that he doesn't find it interesting. Nor does it mean that he cannot share an opinion. The everyone must be smiley, happy go lucky, rah rah rah attitude might work on other forums, but not here. That's what makes ST great.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good luck iron cowboy..... i think it s a crazy endavor and perhaps impossible but to even give it a shot..... i like this kind of thinking.

Dream big! try crazy things....and let the jealous do the talking while your running!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont hate it. I think it is gimmicky. I find it interesting enough to pay attentiion to and frankly, it would blow my mind to be proven incorrect. I love having my mind blown. jeez. Sorry I'm not jumping on the cheerleaing bandwagon.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:
7718 wrote:

No.

Why?

Just because he thinks it's a gimmick and doomed for failure doesn't mean that he doesn't find it interesting. Nor does it mean that he cannot share an opinion. The everyone must be smiley, happy go lucky, rah rah rah attitude might work on other forums, but not here. That's what makes ST great.

Or what he said. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Wilber and Orville - why are you wasting your time on this damn fool flying idea..."

"Wilma, what are you talking about Olympics for, you can't hardly walk..."

"Bill, I don't know about this computer stuff, why don't you finish up at Harvard, then go see if there is something to this... "

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love what he is trying to do. I think his motives are good. He is a little nuts. Even if he fails, it will be an adventure. I love that the cause is about childhood obesity. Everyone is so wrapped up in how this could affect his body and such. He will be fine and he will recover. Lets just enjoy the adventure with him.

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SeattleSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why you insist on comparing ludicrous speed comparisons to an endurance challenge. How it is clearly impossible? I get why doing a 3 second 100m is "clearly impossible" but it's not like he is attempting to do a 140.6 in 2 hours. That would be a fair comparison. He's pushing the edge of how many times a person can get up the next day and do the same thing they did the day before at a reasonable pace. How is that at all like a super speed record? The challenge is not speed, it is endurance and will. And in that vein, I am always behind the believers. Physiology may limit the speed records, but in the realm that nearly every great endurance athlete says is mostly mental, the limits are unknown. Some people refuse to have limits. Dean Karnazes comes to mind.

I'm not asking you to be a blind fanboy like you seem to assume some of us are, what with our heads up our asses and all. But don't make a comparison that makes no sense at all like it is some kind of brilliant insight. It's not like a Usain Bolt 3 sec 100m. It's Rocky getting beaten and still standing, still coming back. Except it's not fiction, he's making it a reality right now. And if he fails, I will feel bad for him, but I sure as hell don't want to join the sideline monday morning quarterbacks waiting for their chance to say "see, told you he couldn't do it."

Dave Luscan wrote:
It's gimmicks that I hate. And this is clearly a gimmick. Meaning, it's clearly not possible to anyone that doesnt have their head up their ass.

I am all for people attempting amazing athletic feats that carry a large risk of failure. I am not for Usain Bolt selling tickets, t-shirts and pay per view subscriptions so we can watch him attempt to run 8.5 for the 100m. Or Michaels Phelps doing the same regarding swimming a 3:45 / 500 yard freeestyle. Or a :16 / 50 Free.

The issue I have with this 50/50/50 thing is it is not quite so obviously impossible to a lot of folks, so they get on board, drink the kool aid, buy the t-shirts and hope, hope, hope. Meanwhile, back here in reality, it is roughly as imposible as Usain's hypothetical 8.5 / 100 meters. Hence, it's a gimmick.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he have to do each IM in under 17 hours to be able to continue to the next day?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good question...he hasn't eclipsed 17 hours yet so it hasn't been discussed. I honestly would be very surprised to see him eclipse 17 hours unless he picks up an injury...then it's probably over anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not a race. This is an endurance challenge. He has 24 hrs in a day to finish the distance in a day.
Last edited by: arby: Jun 14, 15 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Day 7 - Arizona - 1:44/7:39/6:39 = 15:02
Day 8 - New Mexico - 1:33/?/? = ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next