Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to his Facebook page, he's started IV fluids this afternoon.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Zanne E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zanne E wrote:
According to his Facebook page, he's started IV fluids this afternoon.

This isn't the first time he's used them

He also got new bike shoes!!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we are all done with this I will be completing a 1:30:00 Olympic distance. To raise awareness. And sell some t-shirts.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
When we are all done with this I will be completing a 1:30:00 Olympic distance. To raise awareness. And sell some t-shirts.

You forgot the pink font.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Jun 13, 15 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

1:30? So you will have The Iron Cowboy's people measure the course?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope he makes it because this is a most interesting documentary. I would hate to see it end. But my gut tells me he's got a few more to go and then its over...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guys a bad ass. I rode this morning in Albuquerque on part of his scheduled bike corse. We are having huge fronts moving through dragging storm clouds that just dump gully washing rain proceeded by high winds and followed by high humidity and head winds both ways on his route.

It took all day of emails to local tri community and face booking(nothing from his camp) to actually find where the 5k charity run he does is going to start, and still not sure, but, I'm going anyway I gotta feel the vibe of what's going on with this insane challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [vguy2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run supposed to start at the final 5k at 7pm tonight per FB

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even at this point I don't think anyone has done a full week without a break at the full 140.6. That in itself is a pretty major accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The deca-iron world record is 8 days and change. 50/50/50 is a gimmick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The triple deca (30x ironman distance or 72 mile swim, 3360 mile bike, 786 mile run is 75 days) This was done without travel.
Last edited by: Dave Luscan: Jun 13, 15 18:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
The triple deca (30x ironman distance or 72 mile swim, 3360 mile bike, 786 mile run is 75 days) This was done without travel.

The one in Italy about 2 yrs ago was 30 irons in 30 days, IIRC. I think the guy who won averaged around 12 hr/iron so around 360 hrs.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

Quick question - have you done any of these? If so, mad props. If not, not sure how you can judge.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
pennib wrote:

On his one and only podcast, he stated "we probably need to come up with a checklist or something". Really?!?!?!? (He is also appears to be the his own Social Media Director)

I hate to be a self-promoting dick about it, but I've mentioned a couple times that he was on my show. I know it's nowhere near as big as the Rich Roll podcast, but I did put the link out in this thread. I realize that fat slow triathletes are invisible to the illuminati of slowtwitch, but he gave us a good interview. So have some other pretty big names in triathlon. Don't let the offensive title of the show bother anyone.

It's the Back of Pack Endurance show. You can skip to minute 20 in this episode to get right to the Iron Cowboy.

http://backofpack.com/2015/06/01/episode-79-the-iron-cowboy/

Off air we talked a bit about PA's route, since that is where I am. It seems to me he is relying a lot on the local state ambassadors to have things together in each locale. That is yielding 50 different levels of preparation as we are seeing.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Last edited by: RunFatboyRun: Jun 13, 15 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you.

He could've spent two more years planning every detail, getting all the preparations down, lining it all up....and still miss things that he didn't even know existed...or he could do what he did: just jump in and learn on the job.

I love it.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
The deca-iron world record is 8 days and change. 50/50/50 is a gimmick.

What is with all the hate????
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's gimmicks that I hate. And this is clearly a gimmick. Meaning, it's clearly not possible to anyone that doesnt have their head up their ass.

I am all for people attempting amazing athletic feats that carry a large risk of failure. I am not for Usain Bolt selling tickets, t-shirts and pay per view subscriptions so we can watch him attempt to run 8.5 for the 100m. Or Michaels Phelps doing the same regarding swimming a 3:45 / 500 yard freeestyle. Or a :16 / 50 Free.

The issue I have with this 50/50/50 thing is it is not quite so obviously impossible to a lot of folks, so they get on board, drink the kool aid, buy the t-shirts and hope, hope, hope. Meanwhile, back here in reality, it is roughly as imposible as Usain's hypothetical 8.5 / 100 meters. Hence, it's a gimmick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So again, what is wrong with people hoping that he can do it?
Is it impossible? I guess we will see.

Basically, you're just a douchebag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well dude, you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

What's wrong with people hoping he can do it you ask? Look, if you just wanna hope, then hope away.

But maybe the example of Usain Bolt's :08.5 / 100m wasn't extreme enough. What if Usain claimed he was going to run a :03 / 100m? Or :01? At a certain point these athletic challenges soar beyond people simply attempting really hard stuff and land in the realm of fantasy. For me and my understanding of current human athletic potential, this has landed squarely in fantasyland. It's an attention grabbing gimmick. If that makes me a douchebag in your eyes, I can live with that. I'd rather be a douchebag skeptic than a blind fool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your examples weren't extreme enough? So now let's compare it to a 3 second 100m dash? Come on man...do you really think it's THAT outrageous? I don't disagree that it is out there but to sit there and compare it to things that are truly humanly impossible hurts your argument badly. James Brooman just ran across Australia from Perth to Sydney with nothing more than what amounts to a stroller that he pushed along that carried his gear to camp out. He ran around 2560 miles in 82 days. There was a 60+ year old couple that ran the perimeter of Australia doing a marathon every single day for 366 days.

Is James' 50/50/50 audacious and foolish? Maybe...but to sit there and say it's absolutely impossible and that there is something wrong with him personally capitalizing on such an amazing adventure screams insecurity.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find it now, but someone had a post on this thread earlier that spoke to the lack of media attention and public interest on endurance events. Like the guy doing the appalachian trail and another doing some other crazy event.

I am interested in learning what happens to this guys body and mind....so I am interested in his book/documentary and will read/watch it...whatever it is called.

But this got me thinking......how is he going to market this. WTC owns the name Ironman. He can't call his book Ironcowboy: 50 Ironmans in 50 Days in 50 States. He can't call his daily effort an Ironman. Seems like it will be tough to market and even harder for people outside of the endurance nerds to understand what he did....and Ironcowboy: 50 really long swim/bikes and runs in 50 days doesn't really have a good ring to it.

Yes, I know he is bringing awareness...or raising money (not sure for what charity....which is sort of telling....I don't know I have followed this guy since before he started). But I would think someone is documenting this and there is preparation for a book or movie. I want him to succeed, not a naysayer and wish him the best. The marketing aspect got me thinking this morning.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those interested, they are live on Persicope.tv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His shoulder is doing a lot better he said this morning, and he is getting around 4-5 hours of sleep a night, but hopes that will change as things even out a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As they just talked about this in their live feed.

100% of money donated is going to the Jamie Oliver Foundation

They are filming a documentary as this goes on, the money for that is already fronted. As far as what it would be called? 50/50/50 seems to be the big marketing on this.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it does get some publicity and looks like he's going to make it, WTC might be smart to actually allow him to call them 'Ironmans' and help him market the hell out of it....
Quote Reply

Prev Next