Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Did you see the information about ambassadors? Did you see the FB events for each state? It's all there - even though unfortunately scattered, I agree. Could it be different and better organized? Yes, of course. But it's a first time event and I repeat his whole team seems to take it in strides and smoothly adjust on the fly.

Honestly I wasn't even aware of the FB event pages, but that is still direct to the point. You need to search individually for them and there is no master link on the offical FB page or website.

I see nothing about ambassadors on the website (unless you are referring to the individual FB pages)

Its is quite simple to have all this in one place.

Who cares this is a first time event and his team takes it all in stride. They are not planning a High School dance.

All these issues should not even be issues with just a little foresight, planning and having a a designated or quasi Social Media Director
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the information is scattered.
You can apply to become an ambassador by clicking the links at the bottom the website. For example, scroll down on this page: http://www.ironcowboy.co/media/
Note that they already have media links to article published yesterday, so they are on top of that.

I am willing to cut them some slack because of the first time and the magnitude of the task. Alternatively, they could have spent another 3 years planning each minute details, listening to the no-sayers and never left Utah. He has already achieved more than many expected. What is wrong with that?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Trirunner says they did a great job of adjusting on the fly. I think that will be the key to success. But it's really James who makes those calls based on how he feels. Today they made changes for flatter roads.

I noted that there is a lot of climbing tomorrow. Isn't there some significant elevation in Flagstaff? That could also be a critical factor that you can't adjust for.

What was missing in Santa Cruz was that local input. Plus any local input should take into account the ongoing fatigue factor as well. The distance can't change, but there needs to be continued flexibility on the courses. Just picking an existing local race course may not cut it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
I agree the information is scattered.
You can apply to become an ambassador by clicking the links at the bottom the website. For example, scroll down on this page: http://www.ironcowboy.co/media/
Note that they already have media links to article published yesterday, so they are on top of that.

I am willing to cut them some slack because of the first time and the magnitude of the task. Alternatively, they could have spent another 3 years planning each minute details, listening to the no-sayers and never left Utah. He has already achieved more than many expected. What is wrong with that?

I came across harsh and I did not mean that. I apologize.

But :)

Here is the link for tomorrow. There is NOTHING that I can see on it about who the ambassador is, volunteering, meeting places, what is needed, etc
https://www.facebook.com/events/374544936072597/

I am focusing solely on the "off road" stuff that should have been planned, or just delegated properly to people that has expertise in it, and let his core support crew focus on the daily race.

The "on the road" stuff does seems that James is doing a wonderful job in adpating for the unknown, the unforseen.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy does this bring back memories when I crewed for RAAM in 2009. I remember the climb to flagstaff. Just driving the RV was tough.

But the route was planned to every turn and it was still super super tough, on both the rider, and the crew. And that was only 12 days of no sleep.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about tomorrow's event. I guess it will be updated later? If you look at today's page you will see more details. It does appear they are barely managing the day at hand and have no time to focus on the next day.

I went out to meet him yesterday. In the end, I chose to leave him alone after exchanging just a few words as it was the end of a long day, he looked pretty beat and I did not want to become a burden. I did not foresee spending time with his supporters, crew and family while we were waiting for him but I am very glad I did. There is a dimension to his venture that is easy to overlook and difficult to explain, but they all operate seemingly in an harmony which I found very inspiring. They may be making mistakes, lacking planning and organization to the point where it may jeopardize the whole project, but I have no doubt they will learn, adapt and rebound, in one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
BRING IT ON VEGAS!!! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!!! Freak shoulder issue forcing me to swim over 3000 yards doing a one armed drill - Close to 100* - Two riders go down - 4 flats - two bike changes !! I'd like to introduce you to my IronCowboy WILL, my IronCowboy HEART, my IronCowboy DRIVE, my IronCowboy CONVICTION. All you haters thought today was you day to say 'I told you so!' Vegas has taken down many before me... So to tell you Vegas that today isn't you day! I'm kicking this marathons ass then I'm outta here!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Quote:
BRING IT ON VEGAS!!! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!!! Freak shoulder issue forcing me to swim over 3000 yards doing a one armed drill - Close to 100* - Two riders go down - 4 flats - two bike changes !! I'd like to introduce you to my IronCowboy WILL, my IronCowboy HEART, my IronCowboy DRIVE, my IronCowboy CONVICTION. All you haters thought today was you day to say 'I told you so!' Vegas has taken down many before me... So to tell you Vegas that today isn't you day! I'm kicking this marathons ass then I'm outta here!

Using all caps and exclamation points is great for making up for poor planning.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Quote:

Using all caps and exclamation points is great for making up for poor planning.

Isn't it too easy to troll on a post that specifically mentions 'haters'. Sorry but you come across as jealous with stuff like this. If you think he made a mistake with logistics then say that but critiquing the capitalization of a Facebook post is tantamount to name calling and finger pointing.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by vvsamiamvv [ In reply to ]
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Quote:

Whom exactly are his "haters"? I am not seeing that.

Even here in this much discussed thread, most of the criticism is related to what appears to be poor planning and impractical logistics. But I think most are coming at that (certainly myself) from a level of concern and not hate.

Those that are predicting that he does not finish race number "A" "B" or "C" are doing so due to the logistics and not wishing/wanting that James not setting a record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Quote:

Whom exactly are his "haters"? I am not seeing that.

Even here in this much discussed thread, most of the criticism is related to what appears to be poor planning and impractical logistics. But I think most are coming at that (certainly myself) from a level of concern and not hate.

Those that are predicting that he does not finish race number "A" "B" or "C" are doing so due to the logistics and not wishing/wanting that James not setting a record.

I don't know who his haters are, I don't know what kind of messages he his getting via facebook/twitter/instagram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No indication on FB that he finished the run yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jun 12, 15 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
No indication on FB that he finished the run yesterday?

My guess would be that it will all be updated today. On his website, the last blog update said he was 4 miles from their finish.

While their social media and stuff isn't great, I am sure they have other shit to worry about as soon as he's done.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shot of the "cruising vessel"

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/...f47c&oe=55EE00C2
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jun 12, 15 7:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if they worry about the upcoming swim in Arizona since alledgedly he swam onehanded nearly the whole way yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is his blog on his website?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [work2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scrolll all the way to the bottom of the page and there is a link ... http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they worry about the upcoming swim in Arizona since alledgedly he swam onehanded nearly the whole way yesterday.

Based on someone that was there and was posting updates on her FB page, seems like he had no issues in the swim and someone also swam with him that was pulling a boy with cerebral palsy for the entire swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The official blog and Facebook are totally blank for today. Wonder if there's no cell signal or something like that
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Bryancd [ In reply to ]
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He mentions on his Facebook post that tracking is down because of no cell service

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've said before, my cynical side can easily find fault with these endeavors...but I am all in with the Cowboy.

I love it that they are winging it. I love that it's haphazard. Could they do better, go longer if they would have military-type (or triathlete type-A) planning?

Sure, probably/possibly. But there is something cool/sweet in that they are making it up as they go along.

And he's also doing better than a lot of people guessed.

I think he'll go to go past 10. Hell, 20 could be in reach if they get into easier logistical days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next