Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:

Finally get him warmed up and dressed and he gets on a bike he has never ridden before (yes...evidently true) and then the call goes out for some tools to fix the seat because it's too high. Luckily we have enough people there with wrenches to fix that problem. Next problem...tubular tires with no spares. But off he goes hoping that it will be okay and luckily it was but he had nothing on that bike.

Was there any explanation for this? I can somewhat understand some of the other logistical difficulties that he and his support crew were having...but riding your own bike and having at least a plan for a flat seems like one of the few things that shouldn't be hard to plan for.

If they can't get that right...it's scary to think of all the other things they could possibly fumble on.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody said anything about why. There were three other bikes on the rack
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
mplamour wrote:
Facebook page says he had to swim 3000 yards with 1 arm because he hurt his other shoulder. Got through it, but definately could be in trouble going forward.

Keep in mind this is the guy who was hyping this thing by saying doctors said it could kill him. There may be a bit of P.T. Barnum involved here.

Falling asleep on the bike could kill him.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another logistic misstep IMHO. It does not appear that even once is he taking advantage of doing a point to point bike/run and cutting down on car or RV time. If you are going to ride/run 138 miles, why retrace that for 2 hours in a car? In my camp out in Angola, Indiana example, on the Indiana day, he could head west out of town after the swim and be within sight of Illinois at the end of the run. He could have done Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois with less than an hour of total drive time.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Another logistic misstep IMHO. It does not appear that even once is he taking advantage of doing a point to point bike/run and cutting down on car or RV time. If you are going to ride/run 138 miles, why retrace that for 2 hours in a car? In my camp out in Angola, Indiana example, on the Indiana day, he could head west out of town after the swim and be within sight of Illinois at the end of the run. He could have done Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois with less than an hour of total drive time.

As mentioned somewhere in this thread, it appears that he is trying to keep these as close to urban/larger population areas as much as possible for his 5K charity runs, support, etc

While your Angola works perfectly as described. It is really out there in nowhere land.

In looking at the map, I do see some logistic anomalies (I assume there are a few others, I quickly spotted these) that unless there is specific reasons why he could not do it the best way, makes him go out of his way for no reason.

He is doing VA>WC>MD.

He should have done VA>MD, and then pick up WV in PA>WV>OH

Also, he is doing MA>NH>ME, where it is logistically more prudent to do MA>ME>NH
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
As mentioned somewhere in this thread, it appears that he is trying to keep these as close to urban/larger population areas as much as possible for his 5K charity runs, support, etc

While your Angola works perfectly as described. It is really out there in nowhere land.

In looking at the map, I do see some logistic anomalies (I assume there are a few others, I quickly spotted these) that unless there is specific reasons why he could not do it the best way, makes him go out of his way for no reason.

He is doing VA>WC>MD.

He should have done VA>MD, and then pick up WV in PA>WV>OH

Also, he is doing MA>NH>ME, where it is logistically more prudent to do MA>ME>NH

There is a lot of head scratching just prior to that too. Pensacola > Atlanta > Myrtle Beach > Charlotte > Williamsburg > Morgantown > Cambridge. That is a ton of back and forth across states that doesn't make any sense at all. If he did Pensacola > Savannah > Myrtle Beach > Wilmington > Williamsburg > Cambridge it would drastically cut out travel time. Do as you say and cut out WV until later.

This thing is looking like it could really become just a huge comedy of errors
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hitting high population areas makes sense. But he's doing Benton Harbor, MI, which is only slightly bigger than Angola, Indiana (both are around 10,000) but to get there he's driving an extra 2.5 hours after passing by Detroit (population about 4 million) on his way there from Cleveland . . . . Benton Harbor does have a longstanding HIM race and it he appears he is basically doubling up on that course so that's probably the reason. A quick glance at his itinerary leads me to believe much of this was done by selecting existing triathlons to work off of.

I'm no expert but my thought is this comes down to how well you manage the off hours and travel, and this does not look to be set up with that as the number 1 priority. But, raising money is a worthy goal if that is his no. 1.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell, he could do double Morgantowns, SavageMans, and Pittsburghs and hit three states while keeping one HQ location.

He's going to have to be flexible. On-the-fly course changes to avoid hills and wind seems to be par for the course, and is surely wise. I wish he had scheduled in a few rest days, because I think it would dramatically increase the odds of him completing this. It would give them just a little leeway room for the inevitable complications and give his body just the slightest chance for recuperation. But, 50/50/55 isn't quite as cool, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been following the Cowboy for the last few days and today is looking quite brutal.

According to Garmin LiveTrack, he has been on the bike for 4 hours+ and he is clocking in at 13.87 mph (56.06 miles). He has climbed 3600+ feet, it is hot and he still has a marathon to go. Not to mention a four hour drive to Flagstaff. The logistics seem to be getting very difficult, very quickly and there are just not enough hours in the day.

I hope he gets it done but there seem to be some problems early on.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stuartk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I hope he does it - but it seems so unlikely. Logistics, injuries, small details, big details, travel, weather. He is a few days in and a lot is catching up with him. Hopefully he finds some cooler weather and better sleep. Maybe that will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:

You wonder how much of his shoulder discomfort today is relating to sleeping in the back of a cramped Subaru?

His FB page says he hit the deck on the bike today. That's what happens when your fatigue is too high...

You mis-read his post.

" Something happened with my shoulder today and I literally swim 3000 yards with one arm. Then out on the bike trail big John Rose took one for the team and hit the deck hard. He is okay though

My bad. You're right. But seriously... at that level of fatigue, cycling on public roads is a recipe for getting killed.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over 6,000 ft of climbing on the bike tomorrow. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stuartk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lord knows I am his biggest supporter, I want him to do this so bad, I believe he can.

That being said, today doesn't look good...

Idk.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Over 6,000 ft of climbing on the bike tomorrow. Ouch.

At a certain point, I think he's going to have to pick some 2-5 mile loops that are favorable in terms of lack of climbing, road surface, shade, and shelter from any potential wind. I also think it will be a huge benefit to his support crew as it will allow them to stay stationary for the most part. Since he isn't taking advantage of point to point courses to cut down on travel, I think we're going to see these adjustments soon.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

From his FB page...

Quote:
We're now deviating from our original course as we've only been able to average 13 miles per.

Looks like that started today. Original route was 7,600 ft of climbing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Yikes - I thought this guy had a shot at doing this, but if this is how disorganized his planning and logistical support is, then I would have to say probably not. He should have recruited an ex-armed forces logistics manager to plan and run things, and probably just had his family meet him at a few locations. So my prediction is he gets to about 20, and then comes back in a year or two for a second go at it with a more organized and better planned effort.

OMG i'm SHOCKED. i ASSumed he had all the routes already planned! I can't imagine doing this AND figuring out your routes on teh fly (well actually I did an IM like that once but the organizers knew the route - they just kept it secret from the athletes...). I agree Kay. I'm a bit dumbfounded here that nothing is planned in advance...

He has them all mapped out, if you view his website you can see all the routes

He has had some issues that he has had to change his routes though

i'm missing that. i see nothing but blank pages with the cities. the website SUCKS. I really hate it. they need to have:
1. a map of the country with each state linking to its own state wtih signups and coordinators designated.
2. identify the highschools in each town he leaves from and get volunteers there.
3. have signups for each swim coordinated by the masters/local/HS swim team for donut and coffee brought to the pool/swim start along with volunteers for swimming and T1.
4. RV needs to kick the family out and put them in a van.
5. cowboy goes in RV.
6. have a point person per town (IDd on website so you can contact them for info/volunteering) to coordinate food/first aid/mechanicals/athletes to accompany and maybe even a driver to the next town. this would give a fresh driver each and every night.
7. have signups to buy breakfast/nutrition from a local food place or LBS as support (i.e. random acts of donuts/pizza).
8. have a person dedicated JUST to social media. have the point person for each town have each event (S/B/R) point person write up a blurb and take lots of photos and pass this to the main social media person. once the state is done update the website and have a thankyou page replace the state signup page in item 1.
9. i need to work a bit but back with more.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i'm missing that. i see nothing but blank pages with the cities. the website SUCKS. I really hate it. they need to have:
1. a map of the country with each state linking to its own state wtih signups and coordinators designated.
2. identify the highschools in each town he leaves from and get volunteers there.
3. have signups for each swim coordinated by the masters/local/HS swim team for donut and coffee brought to the pool/swim start along with volunteers for swimming and T1.
4. RV needs to kick the family out and put them in a van.
5. cowboy goes in RV.
6. have a point person per town (IDd on website so you can contact them for info/volunteering) to coordinate food/first aid/mechanicals/athletes to accompany and maybe even a driver to the next town. this would give a fresh driver each and every night.
7. have signups to buy breakfast/nutrition from a local food place or LBS as support (i.e. random acts of donuts/pizza).
8. have a person dedicated JUST to social media. have the point person for each town have each event (S/B/R) point person write up a blurb and take lots of photos and pass this to the main social media person. once the state is done update the website and have a thankyou page replace the state signup page in item 1.
9. i need to work a bit but back with more. "

Those are great ideas. If you could load the website and FB page you would see that most of that is already in place.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah, well, then, nevermind. i wonder how he keeps ending up having to make up routes on teh fly though? and why he seems to never have food? maybe they put the most incomplete states first when he'd be more fresh. dunno. wish all that showed up when i load their website though. i'll try on my laptop and then try IE.

OMG! what a difference! there is SO much i missed. i thought they were just really lazy with the website. i loaded in IE and SO MUCH more appears now. thanks!

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 11, 15 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a glimpse into how they operate yesterday. They changed the bike course halfway to avoid too many hills and strong winds. Hills could have been foreseen with better planning, but even us locals would have had a hard time predicting the winds. They do try and have a local 'ambassador' for each stage whose job it is to plan courses and offer logistic help. The ambassador was MIA and pennib on this forum and a few others jumped in to offer any help they could provide. I am unsure about the food situation. They did plan the route with Hawaii and Alaska first to tackle the longest travels when fresh. Check the calendar page on the website when you can. I agree with Jason who said he expects adjustments on the fly will be needed. They do seem able to make those in strides.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
I had a glimpse into how they operate yesterday. They changed the bike course halfway to avoid too many hills and strong winds. Hills could have been foreseen with better planning, but even us locals would have had a hard time predicting the winds.

This is actually a fantastic idea for WTC, and one which I am sure would prove to be very popular. If you are part way through an IM and it seems too tough, there could alternate routes that cut out the hills.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At mile 95.6 of the bike in Vegas. I'm surprisingly feeling great! Thank you to the random stranger that brought me out ice and water ‪#‎fightthefight‬‪#‎ironcowboy‬ #505050
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are welcome to do your own ironman distance triathlon anytime and on any course of your liking. That has nothing to do with WTC. As long as the distances are proper it is an ironman distance course.

With that said, "there could alternate routes that cut out the hills." is exactly what they have done to the Ironman Lake Tahoe course over the years. It is clear that if you want a tough course you would be better of avoiding WTC but go to Norseman, Embrunman, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Those are great ideas. If you could load the website and FB page you would see that most of that is already in place.

Huh? I don't think ANY of them are in place. Certainly not an advance team and detailed volunteer info.

I am really fascinated by all the logistics of this and rooting for him to go far in his quest, but this was poorly planned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see the information about ambassadors? Did you see the FB events for each state? It's all there - even though unfortunately scattered, I agree. Could it be different and better organized? Yes, of course. But it's a first time event and I repeat his whole team seems to take it in strides and smoothly adjust on the fly.
Last edited by: Trirunner: Jun 11, 15 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you give a direct link to the FB/state stuff? I have looked everywhere and loaded the website in 2 different browsers but am missing that. Fuck me that was HARD! JHC they need to do something about that.

here is tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/events/374544936072597/

no, that might not be it. JHC it should not be this hard.

https://www.facebook.com/...aironcowboy/?fref=ts

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 11, 15 16:34
Quote Reply

Prev Next