Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
I agree. If anyone wants to complain about him drafting they should duplicate his effort and show it can be done without any drafting. The guy is a hero in my book if he completes half his goal.

The story I got from talking to Utah peeps about this last weekend was he was living in a parent's basement, unemployed, with his wife and kids on welfare, while trying to make himself famous by doing multiple IMs instead of getting a job. He sounds like a clown desperate for attention, not a hero.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, it is amazing what this guy is doing.

With that said, I am curious as to how is he financing this (and all of his) endeavors? Is he independently wealthy? Is this being entirely funded by sponsors? I can only manage to sign up for one or two (or three) races a year and I am pretty financially secure. All I could find on the guy is that he is a coach (triathlon) and personal trainer...he must be one hell of a coach/trainer. He has been all over the world doing 70.3s and full Ironman's over the past few years, great that he is able to do it, just am curious as to how he is doing it.

Good luck to him, maybe I can make my way up to Sea Girt, NJ on July 4th to ride/run a bit with him...but my prediction is that he doesn't make it past day 20.

Jamie
Last edited by: jwadtri: Jun 9, 15 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well obviously I wasn't speaking of his personal character as I know nothing about that. My "hero" comment was from an athletic/physical ability aspect. I hope you have confirmed all of that before posting it in a public forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:
I agree. If anyone wants to complain about him drafting they should duplicate his effort and show it can be done without any drafting. The guy is a hero in my book if he completes half his goal.

The story I got from talking to Utah peeps about this last weekend was he was living in a parent's basement, unemployed, with his wife and kids on welfare, while trying to make himself famous by doing multiple IMs instead of getting a job. He sounds like a clown desperate for attention, not a hero.

Do you know any of this to be true???
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [jwadtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwadtri wrote:
First, it is amazing what this guy is doing.

With that said, I am curious as to how is he financing this (and all of his) endeavors? Is he independently wealthy? Is this being entirely funded by sponsors? I can only manage to sign up for one or two (or three) races a year and I am pretty financially secure. All I could find on the guy is that he is a coach (triathlon) and personal trainer...he must be one hell of a coach/trainer. He has been all over the world doing 70.3s and full Ironman's over the past few years, great that he is able to do it, just am curious as to how he is doing it.

Good luck to him, maybe I can make my way up to Sea Girt, NJ on July 4th to ride/run a bit with him...but my prediction is that he doesn't make it past day 20.

His sponsor list is pretty impressive

http://www.ironcowboy.co/partners/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saundo wrote:

Day 4. I was a skeptic that thought he couldn't make it past 2. See how the next couple of days go.

The guys who did the triple deca (30IM in 30days) last year or 2013 all said they got stronger after the first 7-10 days until the last 2-3 days and their times showed it. It'll be hard to compare his times as the course is different everyday but ff he can make it through the first week I think he'll do fine barring injury.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated splits

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08
.............Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12 (as per his FB page, he needed to swim an additional 300 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all pretty impressive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

Not sure how that matches up with the cost of attempting this.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by coyote pelon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Granted, I'm tapering, but over these three days I ran 10 miles, swam 2600 yards, and ran 5 miles. Oh, I had a day off, too.

Who's the Iron Cowboy now, bitch?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Updated splits

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I'd rather he take extra effort to not draft on the bike. But jeebus, whatever he wants to do is good, too. I don't think it's possible to finish this. I'm blown away he's even trying. If he even gets close, then he's setting a bar for others to try to beat.

Agree with all your statements except for this one.

I've learned to be very skeptical about saying that any feat of endurance is impossible to finish. Individuals just keep proving me wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The blog on his website that his coach is writing is very interesting.

He want's him taking 7 hours on the bike, almost using it as recovery time.

Today is day 5. The next 5-10 days are going to be the hardest.

Days 35-45 will be killer as well.

Ah fuck, it'll all be stupid hard..mentally more than anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently he was dozing off on the bike yesterday. That's not surprising as it sounds like he's not getting the sleep in. As so many have said in one way or another, the logistics are a big, if the not the biggest, obstacle.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
The blog on his website that his coach is writing is very interesting.

He want's him taking 7 hours on the bike, almost using it as recovery time.

Today is day 5. The next 5-10 days are going to be the hardest.

Days 35-45 will be killer as well.

Ah fuck, it'll all be stupid hard..mentally more than anything.

As I stated somewhere in this thread, I really wish his team utilized social media more, especially some type of "on the road" type blog of the behind the scenes.

I don't even look at my own data files, so I have zero interest in his and what his pedal power ratio is, etc

To me, and I think like many, the logistics of all this is the most intriguing aspect of it.

I enjoy looking at his map and trying to figure out better routing and/or why did he choice location "A" or "B"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
kny wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
kny wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
Simple data points and updates are still very poor.

frpm Garmin and/or comments
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:09/6:33/? = ?

If he wants this thing to be legit, he needs to upload those run files. Otherwise, he may be taking a page from Dane Rauschenberg and his RV for all we know.

Is this information good enough??

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/

I'd like to see the run data. Now, I don't think he's cheating, but take some or all of the marathon out of the equation every day (or many days) and this gets much easier. Dane Rauschenberg hopped in an RV for stretches of his solo 202 mile American Odyssey Relay run, and was only caught out due to internet sleuthing and poorly timed tweets by Dane. Again, I don't think 50/50 is doing this, but he should be producing Garmin files of these runs to allay any skeptics out there.

Ah, so you want the actual map he ran? Because all the other run data is right there.

I want Garmin and/or Strava files for 50 bikes and 50 runs. If he pulls this off it should be unimpeachable. Dane Rauschenberg proved to me that you can go in with the best of intentions for an epic endurance feat, but when the going gets tough and the comfy RV is right there next to you, that the urge to hop a ride may be hard to overcome. Power files and HR stats are nice, but I would think that for a "world record" attempt like this that they would provide GPS proof for each and every bike and run. Right now for the runs we're essentially just getting a time.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you look on his website?

It's all right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll look again. That's good. When I checked the blog it was just screen caps of a mobile app summarizing the workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I'd rather he take extra effort to not draft on the bike. But jeebus, whatever he wants to do is good, too. I don't think it's possible to finish this. I'm blown away he's even trying. If he even gets close, then he's setting a bar for others to try to beat.

I've learned to be very skeptical about saying that any feat of endurance is impossible to finish. Individuals just keep proving me wrong.

the problem with these endurance feats, if he does complete someone else will go for longer, rather than faster. (ex, 100 ironmans/100days or 50 ultramans 50 days). No one wants to be fast these days.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Liaman wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

the problem with these endurance feats, if he does complete someone else will go for longer, rather than faster. (ex, 100 ironmans/100days or 50 ultramans 50 days). No one wants to be fast these days.

You seem to be confusing "endurance" and "speed".

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

No one wants to be fast these days.

You can't be serious. Have you ever read the ST forum? There was a discussion here last week on the aero penalty of a watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four IM distances in four days at around a 13 hour average is pretty darn quick. Could you duplicate the effort thus far?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 Ironmans in 50 days = over 7 weeks. Avg Ironman of maybe 13-16?
That's 91 to 112 hours per week for over 7 weeks!!!

How many 100hr weeks do you think you could do before you pop?

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -Tri Coach
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day four was interesting. He fell asleep on the bike, took a nap. Then did the run in time to get a plane to avoid the 10.5 hour drive to the next site. Hopefully he is wellrested for today.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next