Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if they're videoing this for some variety of production later?

If he makes it he will definitely have raised the bar.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, he did a great interview on Rich Roll's podcast recently. Really in depth on why he's doing it and how he'll think he'll do.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on what´ll eventually make him cave - If he does so? I saw his coach wrote he reckoned it would be the bike that brought him down if he failed (and that the key part of success was pacing the bike slowly enough).

I guess if he gives in it will be due to the total fatigue - but I would have thought that the run would prove the hardest part in this 50/50/50? Any thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
[
Exactly. The travel on top of everything is brutal. I hate commuting 25min to work... let alone a new state each day.

I am following this very peripherally, basically via ST so I have not looked a the logistics at all.
If he does each one point to point, he can have a big chunk of the commute to the next state done under his own power. Basically 138 miles of "racing" toward the next state. His support crew can pick him up in the RV at the end of the "marathon" and he crashes out while they drive him toward the next state. He gets over the border and sleeps until it's time to start again.
Might help a little bit..... I'm sure that someone undertaking something this massive has looked at doing things like that.
If he could do something like this, would he wind up insanely fit or would he wind up a broken down shell of his former self? I guess we have to wait and find out.

I'd bet he'll end up being a broken-down shell. I would venture to guess that, if indeed he ever even does another iron race after this series, he'll be at least an hour slower than his pre-50 PR, assuming equal difficulty of the races, of course. He will prob never feel the same after this extreme bout of over-training.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
I'd bet he'll end up being a broken-down shell. I would venture to guess that, if indeed he ever even does another iron race after this series, he'll be at least an hour slower than his pre-50 PR, assuming equal difficulty of the races, of course. He will prob never feel the same after this extreme bout of over-training.

I hope not. People at the edge always inspire me.

It wasn't that long ago people questioned being able to cover the distance in a regular iron-distance race - and now there are tens of thousands of finishers every year.

[ The sign of intelligence is you are constantly wondering. Idiots are always dead sure about every damn thing they are doing in their life. - Vasudev ]
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
WebFootFreak wrote:
pennib wrote:
not so much for James but for all the people who want to do the ride with him from our local club

Makes me wonder if he's willing to accept draft help from people on the course...

You're kidding right? Is that supposed to be in pink?

If you're not, the dude can do whatever he wants from my perspective as long as he swims, bikes and runs a full Ironman-length distance a day for 50 days across 50 states. This isn't an Ironman race.

I tend to be a fairly cynical person about things like this...but I'm all in for the IronCowboy. Will he make it? Of course, lots of things that could end it for him. But I hope (and actually expect) he goes a lot farther than most people here are thinking he can.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
kny wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
Simple data points and updates are still very poor.

frpm Garmin and/or comments
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:09/6:33/? = ?

If he wants this thing to be legit, he needs to upload those run files. Otherwise, he may be taking a page from Dane Rauschenberg and his RV for all we know.

Is this information good enough??

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/

I'd like to see the run data. Now, I don't think he's cheating, but take some or all of the marathon out of the equation every day (or many days) and this gets much easier. Dane Rauschenberg hopped in an RV for stretches of his solo 202 mile American Odyssey Relay run, and was only caught out due to internet sleuthing and poorly timed tweets by Dane. Again, I don't think 50/50 is doing this, but he should be producing Garmin files of these runs to allay any skeptics out there.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [planetsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
planetsbr wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I hope not. People at the edge always inspire me.
It wasn't that long ago people questioned being able to cover the distance in a regular iron-distance race - and now there are tens of thousands of finishers every year.

Sure but 1 day is very diff from 50 in a row. We'll see...:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, he's running the Boston Marathon route which is net downhill so that makes this whole thing a sham.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
kny wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
Simple data points and updates are still very poor.

frpm Garmin and/or comments
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:09/6:33/? = ?

If he wants this thing to be legit, he needs to upload those run files. Otherwise, he may be taking a page from Dane Rauschenberg and his RV for all we know.

Is this information good enough??

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/

I'd like to see the run data. Now, I don't think he's cheating, but take some or all of the marathon out of the equation every day (or many days) and this gets much easier. Dane Rauschenberg hopped in an RV for stretches of his solo 202 mile American Odyssey Relay run, and was only caught out due to internet sleuthing and poorly timed tweets by Dane. Again, I don't think 50/50 is doing this, but he should be producing Garmin files of these runs to allay any skeptics out there.

Ah, so you want the actual map he ran? Because all the other run data is right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
WebFootFreak wrote:
pennib wrote:
not so much for James but for all the people who want to do the ride with him from our local club

Makes me wonder if he's willing to accept draft help from people on the course...

If you're not, the dude can do whatever he wants from my perspective as long as he swims, bikes and runs a full Ironman-length distance a day for 50 days across 50 states. This isn't an Ironman race.

I tend to be a fairly cynical person about things like this...but I'm all in for the IronCowboy. Will he make it? Of course, lots of things that could end it for him. But I hope (and actually expect) he goes a lot farther than most people here are thinking he can.

Why would I be kidding? He's either willing to draft or he isnt. The question was simply: Is he? I personally think that if he is, it'd be pretty damn cool to lend that little bit of support for a bit. I agree 100% that it matters not how he does it. I just want to see him cross that 50th finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [WebFootFreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's basically invited anyone who will join him on the routes. That will greatly break up the monotony of the whole thing. Doing 112 mile social group rides is a lot less taxing on the brain than solo TTs.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [WebFootFreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WebFootFreak wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
WebFootFreak wrote:
pennib wrote:

Why would I be kidding? He's either willing to draft or he isnt. The question was simply: Is he? I personally think that if he is, it'd be pretty damn cool to lend that little bit of support for a bit. I agree 100% that it matters not how he does it. I just want to see him cross that 50th finish line.

Thought you were being critical of him potentially drafting off folks who might want to join him. Read it the wrong way. My bad.

If the dude makes it to Benton Harbor MI (granted a big if)... I will go share some of the ride and break the wind for him a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it matter even if he did draft?

He is doing the distance not actual races.

Its not like Jimmy R is on a motorbike next to him handing out cards.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just noticed the guy is sponsored by Young Living.......he should 100% make it knowing that he has his essential oils to get him through the rough patches!!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Back of the motorhome. So happy to have my crew here. Things should start to smooth out over the next few days. Maybe delusional but I seriously things are going to start to get better over the next 10 days. Thanks for all the love today. Reading all your comments rocks my world! Love and appreciate you all!! See you in Portland! ‪#‎IronCowboy‬ #505050Young Living Essential Oils ‪#‎BeingUsedRightNow‬

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Rich Roll's podcast, he said that a film crew is documenting it.

Like many here have already mentioned, I am a big fan and look forward to the updates every day! If he makes it to #40 in Indiana, I'll be there to run with him!

Boiler Up!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. If anyone wants to complain about him drafting they should duplicate his effort and show it can be done without any drafting. The guy is a hero in my book if he completes half his goal.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I now know what a hiatal hernia is. Do not want.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Day 4. I was a skeptic that thought he couldn't make it past 2. See how the next couple of days go.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saundo wrote:

Day 4. I was a skeptic that thought he couldn't make it past 2. See how the next couple of days go.

Today is an early start day. Based on his calendar and a comment of his FB page, he was in the water today at 5am (PST)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

If the dude makes it to Benton Harbor MI (granted a big if)... I will go share some of the ride and break the wind for him a bit.

I'll be there too, already in my Outlook calendar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Does it matter even if he did draft?

He is doing the distance not actual races.

Its not like Jimmy R is on a motorbike next to him handing out cards.

I was not criticizing him for drafting. I was defending him if he did or was going to. I thought someone else was questioning him if he did draft. But, I don't think that's the case.

So...

I believe no one here would fault the guy for drafting.

That clear to everyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would. Just because.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't begin to fathom the triple anvil races let alone duo or triple decas but this seems so much harder even if it's not a "race". it's more akin to Dean K running coast to coast vs back to back ultras.

So I think what he is attempting is amazing physically, mentally and as others stated - logistically as well. there is just so much that can go wrong that is out of his control and I wish him all the luck and good fortune to complete it. If he gets to day 45 I am going to join on the ride and 5k.

good luck Cowboy!
Quote Reply

Prev Next