Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has gone through his whole calendar and seen any of his days and though "hey that would be a great place to do an Ironman"? I realize that most are probably point to point, but just skimming through and there is some pretty cool photography.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that's 2 out of 2 so far?

Judging from his facebook-pictures, that cowboy beard must be costing him 20 min on the bike every day?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple data points and updates are still very poor.

frpm Garmin and/or comments
Day 1 - Hawaii - ~1:10/6:20/? = under 13hrs
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:09/6:33/? = ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say he makes it to day 5.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll do a few weeks at least. This is the same guy who has previously done 30 IMs in 30 days.

Based on the comment above, I would say that he's maybe doing a little too fast though.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:

If he wants this thing to be legit, he needs to upload those run files. Otherwise, he may be taking a page from Dane Rauschenberg and his RV for all we know.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
He'll do a few weeks at least. This is the same guy who has previously done 30 IMs in 30 days.

Based on the comment above, I would say that he's maybe doing a little too fast though.

I'm pretty sure he did 30 IMs in a year, not 30 days.

There are guys who have done 30 IMs in 30 days, all on the same course. Logistically much easier.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He posted earlier today on Facebook that's he's only gotten 7.5 hours sleep over the last two days. That's not good though it highlights I guess that doing Hawaii and Alaska first made a lot of sense. Get the long flights out of the way early.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the best way to follow this? Too much stuff, scattered around. I was thinking he'd make it about 10 days, unless logistics got him first.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
What's the best way to follow this? Too much stuff, scattered around. I was thinking he'd make it about 10 days, unless logistics got him first.

Facebook, under Iron Cowboy
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Liaman wrote:

I'm pretty sure he did 30 IMs in a year, not 30 days.

There are guys who have done 30 IMs in 30 days, all on the same course. Logistically much easier.

Exactly. The travel on top of everything is brutal. I hate commuting 25min to work... let alone a new state each day.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the Facebook page seems the best. The website seems to have a very high style to useful information ratio. Like others have mentioned, I'm surprised the social media part of it isn't much better given all the obvious effort that's gone into this.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worry that he's going to get RAAM tired and just ride his bike into an oncoming car.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
[

Exactly. The travel on top of everything is brutal. I hate commuting 25min to work... let alone a new state each day.

I am following this very peripherally, basically via ST so I have not looked a the logistics at all.

If he does each one point to point, he can have a big chunk of the commute to the next state done under his own power. Basically 138 miles of "racing" toward the next state. His support crew can pick him up in the RV at the end of the "marathon" and he crashes out while they drive him toward the next state. He gets over the border and sleeps until it's time to start again.

Might help a little bit..... I'm sure that someone undertaking something this massive has looked at doing things like that.

If he could do something like this, would he wind up insanely fit or would he wind up a broken down shell of his former self? I guess we have to wait and find out.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said the same thing about setting up the courses to be point to point to get him closer to his next location. Looking through the routes that did not seem to be the case for all the states, which seems like a bad decision...we'll see.

I am very curious how his support situation looks. If he has people taking care of everything for him there is no reason he can't sleep 7-8 hours a night...13-15 hr IM then hit the hay while your support staff takes care of everything else.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
I said the same thing about setting up the courses to be point to point to get him closer to his next location. Looking through the routes that did not seem to be the case for all the states, which seems like a bad decision...we'll see.

Looks like he is using many existing 70.3 and IMs courses plus at least one Challenge and HITS courses.

I don't see any point-to points.

He is promoting the "Run the final 5K" with him for free or a donation, so he needs to finish around some sort of larger urban area
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:

I am very curious how his support situation looks. If he has people taking care of everything for him there is no reason he can't sleep 7-8 hours a night...13-15 hr IM then hit the hay while your support staff takes care of everything else.

I looked at the routes too. No point to point.

I bet he goes close to the 14-15 mark after the first couple of days. Which doesn't leave a lot of time for eating pre-breakfast, post-dinner, shower, etc, then sleep. And he has to do all that while in the RV that is moving to the next destination.

I estimate he won't be able to get his HR much into the 100's after day 4.... therefore my prediction.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:

from Garmin and/or comments

Updated splits

from Garmin and/or comments
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are day 5 in Santa Cruz - so I hope that he at least makes it this far! He's going to have a pretty amazing support crew here so I hope he makes it through. We are going to provision aid stations on the bike course, not so much for James but for all the people who want to do the ride with him from our local club, so there will be food, gels, water and electrolyte available on the bike course. Weather for the bike could be foggy and windy for the start if the wind blows the fog onshore. It's clear today but it's summer here so it could be anything!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:

If he wants this thing to be legit, he needs to upload those run files. Otherwise, he may be taking a page from Dane Rauschenberg and his RV for all we know.

Is this information good enough??

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pennib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pennib wrote:
not so much for James but for all the people who want to do the ride with him from our local club

Makes me wonder if he's willing to accept draft help from people on the course...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [WebFootFreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WebFootFreak wrote:
pennib wrote:
not so much for James but for all the people who want to do the ride with him from our local club

Makes me wonder if he's willing to accept draft help from people on the course...

Or run with gorillas?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [WebFootFreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WebFootFreak wrote:
pennib wrote:

You're kidding right? Is that supposed to be in pink?

If you're not, the dude can do whatever he wants from my perspective as long as he swims, bikes and runs a full Ironman-length distance a day for 50 days across 50 states. This isn't an Ironman race.

I tend to be a fairly cynical person about things like this...but I'm all in for the IronCowboy. Will he make it? Of course, lots of things that could end it for him. But I hope (and actually expect) he goes a lot farther than most people here are thinking he can.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he makes it to day 39, ill go ride with him, he will be getting close to my office. If he makes it that far I am sure I will be able to keep up at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd rather he take extra effort to not draft on the bike. But jeebus, whatever he wants to do is good, too. I don't think it's possible to finish this. I'm blown away he's even trying. If he even gets close, then he's setting a bar for others to try to beat.

Quote Reply

Prev Next