Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rarely mention my podcast here, it's for slow and/or fat people - but we get some pretty good guests. (Mark Allen, Jeff Galloway for example)

We interviewed the Iron Cowboy this week. If you want to skip the intro of two middle aged obese men complaining about their training and injuries, come in at the 20 minute mark.

The show is also on iTunes and Stitcher.

http://backofpack.com/2015/06/01/episode-79-the-iron-cowboy/

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 max

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So the IRONCowboy is just about to start his adventure on June 6th of 50 Ironmans in 50 straight days. One incredible feat if he completes them all, heck, just his travel schedule between the locations looks insane. What are the odds he finishes this task?

http://www.ironcowboy.co/calendar/

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/my-story/articles/iron-cowboy-051915.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
no they are mostly if not all "Iron Distance Training sessions". Obviously it's not his fault
that there are no IM races on Wednesdays.

So he should win all of them I'm thinking.

Looks like he was able to schedule one actual race. The HITS race in NY, so he should win the rest of them.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
no they are mostly if not all "Iron Distance Training sessions". Obviously it's not his fault

Looks like he was able to schedule one actual race. The HITS race in NY, so he should win the rest of them.

Of course, he has to survive all the way across the country before he gets to NY, which is a pretty tall order:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

I'm starting to think that he's channeling Fatcyclist and his 100 Miles of Nowhere. Invent a category that only you can win. This is how I won the first century I ever did. (If you don't understand, exercise your googlefu)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
bsmak24 wrote:
I remember reading about that group that did the triple deca ironman (30 ironman races in 30 days), I believe in Italy, a couple of years back. They were all held on the same course, but even then most were working on 3-4 hours sleep. Logistically, just seems very improbable.

Yeah...I can't imagine what it will be like for his support crew. In Italy, it was a very small course with a shit ton of loops. So support crew and race staff could basically sit in a lawn chair all day as racers would pass by every 10 minutes on their bike or run loops. It looks like this endeavor is going to be mostly point to point courses...so his support crew will need to follow him, or leap frog him in order to provide him with aid and make sure he's doing okay. Then when that day's IM is done...they need to drive to the next site. Also factor in that they can't store 50 days worth of supplies for the entire crew in one RV. They will constantly need to make stops for fuel, food, supplies, do laundry (do RVs have built in washer/dryers these days?), etc. I'm guessing the RV will also need maintenance...such as refilling water supplies, emptying the septic tank, etc.

It seems like a huge task not including the actual IMs that need to be done.

First - I wish him well and would be awesome and amazing if he can pull it off....or even a part of it off. There's no downside for him in my opinion.

And I agree - this will be a huge toll on support crew. From just one day's experience (Norseman last year)... I saw how exhausting it can be for a support crew to follow an IM racer, handing food, drink, driving ahead, waiting, etc etc. Even if they want to try to make it easier...follow him... that would be super taxing because the cowboy will be going slow, RV could be blocking traffic, etc. And yeah, that's a lot of miles begging gremlins to come out and mess with things on the RV, etc.

From one day of little rest, full day supporting, my support crew all crashed in exhaustion like I did. I would have to think they will need to cycle people in and out to keep it all fresh and alert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is his live bike tracking. 12:05pm (EST) he is @ mile 80

http://livetrack.garmin.com/...75C3F0F2646C96E854C4
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where did he swim? The tracker starts nowhere near the ocean or a lake.

Quote | Reply
Pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If he makes this I may have to buy this shirt. Wonder how he is doing.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cobble wrote:

probably a pool. Looks like he's going to do a number of pool swims.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
Cobble wrote:

probably a pool. Looks like he's going to do a number of pool swims.

It's the pool in Lahaina, Kauai. I swam there last year during my Vacation. There's a masters team that swims there three mornings a week.

It looks like he has several pool swims in his 50 days.

Scott I.
----------------------------------------
"You're not old until age becomes your excuse." Joe Friel
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he can get through the parts involving air travel (1st couple of days) I think he can do it.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MNrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MNrunner wrote:
If he can get through the parts involving air travel (1st couple of days) I think he can do it.

Think he can do it? Or HOPE he can do it?

Logistics alone make this almost impossible. There is ZERO margin for error in his current plan.

I HOPE the guy does it. But I think it is a fool hardy plan.

Austin Hardy -

Last edited by: Aust1227: Jun 6, 15 18:40
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
MNrunner wrote:

Think he can do it? Or HOPE he can do it?

Both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did he finish today? For the life of me I can't figure out where updates are on his site. Also check Twitter and didn't really see anything useful. Something about being pulled over by the cops but noting about the day that I could see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be better to travel east-to-west for this venture? Every so-often he'd get an extra hour of rest, seems like that'd be beneficial.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thinking. Actually he should have incorporated a few flights around the world east to west to give him a few extra rest days.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to travel east-to-west for this venture? Every so-often he'd get an extra hour of rest, seems like that'd be beneficial.

Would seem like it to me. Would be a great question for him as to why exactly he structured it the way he did.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
I'll put the over/under at 34.

I'll take the under. I'll call either a logistics problem or plain and simple lack of (good) sleep, followed by saddle sores etc, followed by weather, etc.

I'll be thoroughly impressed if he succeeds (with sufficient witnesses/proof).

I want garmin proof for every leg for all 50 events.

But I agree, Logistics will get him.

He seems fit enough to do 50 of them back to back.

NFI why he is doing 50 different locations.

Should have just done 50 locally.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Did he finish today? For the life of me I can't figure out where updates are on his site. Also check Twitter and didn't really see anything useful. Something about being pulled over by the cops but noting about the day that I could see.

Yeah, his team is really not utilizing social media in promoting and update his trek on this.

He did finish. Seems like he swam ~1:10, his bike was 6:20:56 (His coach posted his Garmin file on his website), but can't find anything about his run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He goes east to west on the back half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently his coach thinks it's super important to have 50/50 L/R power.

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/2015/6/6/day-1

SayHey Kid wrote:
logella wrote:

Yeah, his team is really not utilizing social media in promoting and update his trek on this.

He did finish. Seems like he swam ~1:10, his bike was 6:20:56 (His coach posted his Garmin file on his website), but can't find anything about his run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
AKCrafty wrote:

Would seem like it to me. Would be a great question for him as to why exactly he structured it the way he did.

I did ask him that question actually. I mentioned a podcast in an earlier post.

The structure is so that the most difficult logistics come early instead of later. Flying from hawaii to alaska, then to the lower 48, that's the worst of it. He said that they didn't want to be in a position where if something went awry on the hrdest pieces, it wouldn't be a "made it 48 out of 50" situation. If something throws it off early, it might be easier to reboot. The first 5 days of this are the most insane.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next