Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not knocking the guy for attempting an amazing feat. However there is a few factors, How long will he average on each Ironman? Lets say he does 8 to 9 hrs
Travel time? Lets say 3 to 4hrs
Prep time, Breakfast lunch dinner and so on.
Just trying to work it out on a 24hr basis how each day will fold out. Plus Recovery! I hope he completes it
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Ozlas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozlas wrote:
I'm not knocking the guy for attempting an amazing feat. However there is a few factors, How long will he average on each Ironman? Lets say he does 8 to 9 hrs
Just trying to work it out on a 24hr basis how each day will fold out. Plus Recovery! I hope he completes it

I think he is planning on 10-12 hours to complete each one.

Then he gets in his RV, where I am assuming has a driver.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Ozlas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ozlas wrote:

8-9 hours per ironman?!?! If he could just do 2 of those in 2 days he would be among the most amazing endurance athletes in the world. Isn't his PR like 11:10? He should be shooting for more like 13-14 hours. And food prep can be done by other people. Travel, recovery, food prep and sleep can all be done simultaneously since he is traveling in an RV.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Ozlas wrote:

8-9 hours per ironman?!?! If he could just do 2 of those in 2 days he would be among the most amazing endurance athletes in the world. Isn't his PR like 11:10? He should be shooting for more like 13-14 hours. And food prep can be done by other people. Travel, recovery, food prep and sleep can all be done simultaneously since he is traveling in an RV.

I am sure when he did his 30 in a hear there were a many where he was sub 10
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This says he averaged "just under 12 hours" but I cannot find results for all the races anywhere. Is there a list somewhere?

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...owboy-james-lawrence

Edit: In here he says is PR is "Low 10 hours"

http://news.maccax.com/...n-cowboys-big-dance/

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 20, 15 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
This says he averaged "just under 12 hours" but I cannot find results for all the races anywhere. Is there a list somewhere?

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...owboy-james-lawrence

One article I just saw (from October 2014, just after Kona)said that he is a 36 time Ironman finisher. Assumingly those 36 include the 30 long-courses he did in his 2012 Guinness Book record

He did do Kona in 2014 with a time of 12:46

EDIT: Two more I found

Ironman Canada - 2014 : 11:16
Ironman Canada - 2011 : 11:45
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: May 20, 15 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely hopes he makes it to #12 (TX), as he'll be running about 10 minutes from my house. I'd like to meet him and shake his hand.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy, you guys sure are throwing around some fast times for this guy, 8 to 9 hours, 12 to 13? If he even gets close, i would guess average times will be easily 15+ hours, and several would not make the usual 17 hour time limit. If he hopes to do this, he will have to mostly fast walk the marathons, and ride around 14/15 miles an hour. Swims will just be relaxing, so probably in the 1;30 range.

To finish this he will have to go as slow as possible, and just make the travel. Any speed pressure he puts out without having to, will doom him later on. Wouldn't surprise me if he averaged 17 hours in the end..
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is absolutely incredible. It makes me hurt just scrolling down the page. I personally don't think that it's possible. This might really test the limit of the human body. It'll be fun to watch.

I go with 15 consecutive days before a modification needs to be made. I hope I'm proved wrong though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot imagine getting to the end of day 3. Hawaii, Alaska, Washington, an ironman in each + transfers + airports + hours in the air + any sleep? Big ask. Unless there is a contingency, like setting up a turbo at the airport and including those miles. This is perhaps harder than 7 marathons in 7 continents in 7 days?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 things: he can sleep in the RV and he can travel as he races. Find a lake, swim 3800M and bike 112 + run a marathon towards the next state line. I think the logistics get a lot less complicated once you hit the continental 48. Mind you I still think he is crazy!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
2 things: he can sleep in the RV and he can travel as he races. Find a lake, swim 3800M and bike 112 + run a marathon towards the next state line. I think the logistics get a lot less complicated once you hit the continental 48. Mind you I still think he is crazy!

Some of these state to state drives could be extremely long.

Physically, he can probably do 50/50 in the same spot over 14h each. (I'm not gonna go over the mental strain that would be).

But like said, 14h + driving + sleeping + logistics + eating + whatever... One mishap and the whole thing will get a lot more stressful. RV breaks down, etc...

I say 20 and not because of fitness, but simply because some travel plans will screw up.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lordhong wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Some of these state to state drives could be extremely long.

Physically, he can probably do 50/50 in the same spot over 14h each. (I'm not gonna go over the mental strain that would be).

But like said, 14h + driving + sleeping + logistics + eating + whatever... One mishap and the whole thing will get a lot more stressful. RV breaks down, etc...

I say 20 and not because of fitness, but simply because some travel plans will screw up.

His quest starts tomorrow.

I posted the below in another thread a few months ago. His logistics early on are incredible.

"On the 4th (PDX) and 5th (Santa Cruz) legs there is less than zero margin of error. With a 11 hr drive in an RV, you are not cruising at 70-80 mph. Granted he does not have to adhere to the traditional 7am start, but the ripple effect could be very difficult to overcome if he is delayed that early on in this."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember reading about that group that did the triple deca ironman (30 ironman races in 30 days), I believe in Italy, a couple of years back. They were all held on the same course, but even then most were working on 3-4 hours sleep. Logistically, just seems very improbable.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's also going to race in extremely hot conditions. The Vegas course is going to be pretty bad in June. Same with Ridgeland, MS right by where I lived for a year. It'll be in a few weeks and it could be really really hot.
I assume he will have a bike ready on mainland in case the bike doesn't make it from Hawaii, or from AK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might have to ride along for awhile if he makes it to SC/NC.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take that bet. I think your odds are about right, but I got to believe in my home town guy. If he does make it to Utah. I am going to do the last one with him.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
Given the travel requirements and support needed for the travel and changing venues the chances of success on this are less than 1% OF 1%..

Wait, so are you now giving 10,000:1 odds? If so I'll take that right now.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
If he completes it, I put the odds of someone accusing him of cheating to get it done at 100%.

there will not be enough popcorn on the planet for that thread.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [bsmak24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bsmak24 wrote:
I remember reading about that group that did the triple deca ironman (30 ironman races in 30 days), I believe in Italy, a couple of years back. They were all held on the same course, but even then most were working on 3-4 hours sleep. Logistically, just seems very improbable.

Yeah...I can't imagine what it will be like for his support crew. In Italy, it was a very small course with a shit ton of loops. So support crew and race staff could basically sit in a lawn chair all day as racers would pass by every 10 minutes on their bike or run loops. It looks like this endeavor is going to be mostly point to point courses...so his support crew will need to follow him, or leap frog him in order to provide him with aid and make sure he's doing okay. Then when that day's IM is done...they need to drive to the next site. Also factor in that they can't store 50 days worth of supplies for the entire crew in one RV. They will constantly need to make stops for fuel, food, supplies, do laundry (do RVs have built in washer/dryers these days?), etc. I'm guessing the RV will also need maintenance...such as refilling water supplies, emptying the septic tank, etc.

It seems like a huge task not including the actual IMs that need to be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to find these races on any race calendar. Or are these all 'Iron-Distance training sessions'? Which while still beyond impressive is much different than performing actual Ironman races, which require in-person check-in 2 days in advance, bike set-up the evening prior, etc.

---
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no they are mostly if not all "Iron Distance Training sessions". Obviously it's not his fault
that there are no IM races on Wednesdays.

So he should win all of them I'm thinking.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Jun 5, 15 15:27
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe some of the course/cities have changed.

I happened to remember that his NJ race was going to be in Atlantic City, but now it is Sea Bright
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
He did do Kona in 2014 with a time of 12:46

Yeah me. I beat him by 46 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Misses on day 19 due to injury. Texting/blogging/twitter finger dislocated. No sense doing it if the world can't know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next